Why not breed snails?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MathewB

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Most people's first reptile is usually a Blue-Tongue of some description (At least I did). A lot of people breed their own food sources to save and or make money i.e. Rat's, Crickets etc. So why don't people breed snail's for Blue-Tongue's? I've alread started and plan to use them for my own lizard and I plan to sell them to friends and maybe petshops! What are your thoughts on this? :)

i guess if you know what conditions you need for them to breed then it should be sweet. do you know their growth rate and how they hatch (eg larve)? im sure snails are hermaphrodites so u wont have trouble finding pairs lol. i think the clenliness of the enclosure would be the biggest issue with all the slime and poo and vegitation mixed in with the moist envoronment u would need. keep us posted how it goes

I have got most of the stuff I need and I am getting them from Pisces. There is a surprising amount of information of snails!

Last edited:
There is a few people who breed snails as a food source not many as they are from what I am led to believe messy. Snails are brilliant because there is calcium in the shell and lizards just love them.

I collected about 20 or so from my garden a few months back and now i have 100's on these little buggas
babysnails.jpg

I collected about 20 or so from my garden a few months back and now i have 100's on these little buggas
babysnails.jpg
:shock:
I would collect mine from my local park but I'm not too sure if their baited or not. I should probably ask someone about that hahaha. How big is your tank? Do you sell them?

I just use a 40litre tub with fly screen hot glued on the lid for ventilation. Nah i dont sell them.
Collect the ones from the park and keep them as breeders. If they live a few weeks, you could assume they are safe.

I just use a 40litre tub with fly screen hot glued on the lid for ventilation. Nah i dont sell them.
Collect the ones from the park and keep them as breeders. If they live a few weeks, you could assume they are safe.

I was about to post "send bonus a pm, he knows all about breeding snails" just to have you bombarded lol. seems you spoilt that bit fun.

My Uncle breeds snails and sells them, if you like I can get some info from him.

He just uses and old bathtub with flyscreen, like Bonus mentioned. But he sells his for people food, so I'm not sure whether they might be different to the common aussie garden snail.

My Uncle breeds snails and sells them, if you like I can get some info from him.
Yeah sure, any info is welcome :)

I'll copy you and use the 40L tub instead of a small fish tank, that will save a couple of my peso's.

Here is the email :)

G'Day Tristan Yep the snails are just the garden variety. You need a pen with about 100mm of soil in - they need soil to lay their eggs. They need to be kept moist with good air flow. I use flyscreen sides (above the soil) and over the top. I have used an old bath but that got too wet! Mike can draw you a diagram of my 'pens'. They need some whare to sleep during the day - an up turned icecream tub with some access holes is ok or some poly pipe etc - they just like to get under something. Some shade over the top to keep then cool. They come out at night. I feed them lettuce leaves each day and they can also eat carrot and shredded paper - anything that they eat in the garden!! There is quite a bit on the web too Cheers A

That's great thanks mate :)
Thanks to everyone for the replies I'm very grateful :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back