Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Random image of my male lace monitor in repose, taken this morning (trying out a new lens). Unusually relaxed for him - normally he's trying to eat something.
133321919.jpg

Random image of my male lace monitor in repose, taken this morning (trying out a new lens). Unusually relaxed for him - normally he's trying to eat something.

Did you have to selectively breed your lace monitors to get such clear markings or does it occur naturally in some regions? None of the ones I have seen around Victoria for sale or in wildlife displays are as nearly as vivid as yours.

To a certain extent, it occurs naturally in the Sydney basin region in that not all, but some of the monitors around here have a fair bit of yellow. The further south one goes from here, the darker they get and down in Victoria they're mostly the 'Gipsland' type, which are huge and almost black, with blue marbling on the sides of the neck.
Sydney wild lacie
117207697.jpg

Southern lacie (this one's from southern NSW, but very similar to a Victorian lacie)
131528464.jpg

My male's particularly colourful, even for a Sydney animal and is actually getting lighter and better looking with age (he's almost 11).

Here's my pair last September (both dirty and in need of a slough)
128423943.jpg

This is our Panoptes. What a life she lives :) She will be getting a new 5m square pit very shortly. Give her a bit more room to explore

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 127
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 169
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 135
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 134
Another Panoptes lover here

Tiny,my male.
others002.jpg
Three year old I think

mumsworklol005.jpg

others002.jpg

Vivienne,my female. Coming up on 12 months

Vivienne005-1.jpg

Vivienne.jpg

mumsworklol005.jpg

Attachments

• mums work lol 003.jpg
    mums work lol 003.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 104
How much time do your Panoptes spend climbing? I only ask because I always thought of them as more of a ground based monitor. Very nice animals, BTW.

Vote 1 "Alex", I say! I reckon you'd be hard pressed to find a better looking Lacie (or monitor for that matter, but I may be biased) :).

Mine spend the time climbing to suitable basking spots. Thats about it. Tiny likes a ledge at the back of his enclosure, right below the sky light, for the first half of the day, then the floor for the afternoon western sun. I never see Vivienne anywhere but her basking spot,but I hear her nails on the aluminium when she is climbing around checking stuff out.

What a beautiful monitor!
I'm really liking the leopard rosettes/spots on their throats.

Pardon my ignorance, PG but what sort of monitor (?) is that?
It's gorgeous.

Back