Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thumper84

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Ok well my hubby went out to check on my cockatoos and their was a 1.5m brown in the cage with my female cockatoo. He had to kill it. It tryed to bite him he was trying to get mt cockatoo out safty away from it. Although im glaf that both of my babies and huby is safe. I still wold of try a few other things before making that call. But i was not their at the time and hubby dosn't know how to handle snakes or move around them. I still nearly cryed through

Last edited:
You do realize your husband could be prosecuted for killing wildlife. I hate it when people kill snakes out of fear, snakes do what they are designed to do.

Isnt it legal to kill snakes if they could endanger you, your families, or your pets/livestocks lives.
just wondering not arguing against you or anything.

Last edited:
What happened to the snake? Did it now move off and live happily ever after

I wouldnt be to hard on him, if i was untrained and it came between my safety and the safety of my pets and the life of a wild angry brown then its a no brainer.
Even with know how its no fun being inside an avery with a pissed off brown.

Yeah i guss just sad. I don't know what ill do if somthing happen to my pythons

You do realize your husband could be prosecuted for killing wildlife. I hate it when people kill snakes out of fear, snakes do what they are designed to do.

cool story, ever hit a snake in your car? ever killed a snake as a young wippersnapper?

Too bad the snake was killed but I dont think your husband had much choice as he didnt know how to remove it safely

I probably would have done the same in the same situation. I think your hubby did what he thought was right at the time. Sorry to hear about your cockatoo.

Very unlikely - and not many people have ever been prosecuted under this law - in fact I've even seen newspaper articles boasting of people killing carpet pythons (and one stating it was a brown snake endangering their family). That person was not prosecuted - even with him holding the dead evidence. And we know for a fact that the carpet would not have harmed this person.

Another case of a woman trying to free her little yappy puppy dog from the jaws of a scrubby. The dog was already dead... She was never convicted either.

On the other hand, a brown could really do some damage, and acting out of fear is usually what gets people bitten.

Isnt it legal to kill snakes if they could endanger you, your families, or your pets/livestocks lives.
just wondering not arguing against you or anything.

It's not legal, as such... it just allows you to protect your family. We'll call it a loophole for the time being.

However - as above, I am yet to see someone prosecuted for killing a snake.

I found an article for 08... http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/story/2008/01/02/man-kills-snake-after-bites-woman/

Not exactly the worlds most deadly snake!!!

Last edited:
You've got more of a chance being fined for moving a snake off the road to safety than being fined for killing one.

sounds like a G up

congratulations hubby
as

A) a cockatoo has nothing to fear from a brown snake that is actually attracted by the rodents it is going to eat that are a pest to the cocky and the cockys owner and you just removed your best pest controller completely out of lack of intelligence.

B) the brown snake was just trying to escape and evade and what your trying to claim completly contradicts sound scientific evidence ,read this paper on brown snake behavior " Responses of free-ranging brown snakes to encounters with humans,Whitaker & Shine (1999)"
it was a study conducted Over three years the researchers tracked and studied 40 telemetered snakes, and had opportunistic encounters with non-telemetered animals, 455 times in the study area of New South Wales.
They found that Free-ranging Brown Snakes do not usually attack people - snakes moved towards the researchers in less than 3% of the snakes studied.

also read " the defensive strike of the eastern brown snake"

i handle Wild Brown snakes almost everday of my life so i see every bit of evidence of what these creatures are really like,which alot of idiots on this forum have no idea of and make remarks like "i would have killed it too" as they are so poorly educated which is sad as you think people on this forum like snakes and would know more about brown snakes than they do.

best thing you could of done was

LEAVE THE SNAKE ALONE

this keeps you safe from the snake 100%

there is a high incidence of snake bite to idiots who feel the macho need to have to kill them
they are protected wildlife,leave them be and they will go away

Last edited:
cool story, ever hit a snake in your car? ever killed a snake as a young wippersnapper?

No I have never hit a snake in a car. I definitely did not go around killing snakes as a young kid. I find that a offensive remark. By the sounds of it you went around killing animals, what did that make you feel good about yourself. Did it make you feel like a big man. What it does make you is a arrogant fool with complete disregard for the wildlife that we are lucky to have.

Same hereI handle them everyday also Why is it that after someone kills a snake they have to tell everyone about it. And yes he could be prosecuted as the cockies were in no danger . And as the brown was cornered he did the only thing he could protect him self as any one in the same position would.
Call for a snake catcher and leave the snakes alone
All Australian Flora and Fauna is protected by law

sounds like a G up

congratulations hubby
as

A) a cockatoo has nothing to fear from a brown snake that is actually attracted by the rodents it is going to eat that are a pest to the cocky and the cockys owner and you just removed your best pest controller completely out of lack of intelligence.

B) the brown snake was just trying to escape and evade and what your trying to claim completly contradicts sound scientific evidence ,read this paper on brown snake behavior " Responses of free-ranging brown snakes to encounters with humans,Whitaker & Shine (1999)"
it was a study conducted Over three years the researchers tracked and studied 40 telemetered snakes, and had opportunistic encounters with non-telemetered animals, 455 times in the study area of New South Wales.
They found that Free-ranging Brown Snakes do not usually attack people - snakes moved towards the researchers in less than 3% of the snakes studied.

also read " the defensive strike of the eastern brown snake"

i handle Wild Brown snakes almost everday of my life so i see every bit of evidence of what these creatures are really like,which alot of idiots on this forum have no idea of and make remarks like "i would have killed it too" as they are so poorly educated which is sad as you think people on this forum like snakes and would know more about brown snakes than they do.

best thing you could of done was

LEAVE THE SNAKE ALONE

this keeps you safe from the snake 100%

there is a high incidence of snake bite to idiots who feel the macho need to have to kill them
they are protected wildlife,leave them be and they will go away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back