should my snakes meet

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantazmic

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I have a male and female 14 month old atherton jungle pythons

they live separately and do everything separately

sometimes we get them out for a play together but we keep them separate

they seem to notice one another and seem as though they would like to meet but we are too scared to let them go near each other because they havent been cooled and we are worried they might bite each other and coil

we are certain they are male and female

should we be worried ?

Elizabeth

I have not kept or had anything to do with jungles. But I keep Centralians, and i have a 2yo pair together, they are together in a large enclosure meaning they both have a lot of room to move around freely they have had no problems with each other. They are a confirmed male and female, and I checked with a reliable breeder before doing so, and he said it is fine.

I have a male and female coastal, 1yo each in seperate enclosures and take them out together all the time, they twist and wrap around eachother but never coil tightly or 'fight' as such.. sometimes they appear to not even notice each other.. id say go for it :)

You might be surprised at just how gentle snakes can be with each other... or they might kill and eat one another! Nah you'll be fine, if they punch on just separate them.

The MD's at my place are kept separate, but a couple of times we've had them out (one male one female) and haven't had any problems. They sometimes gently coil around each other, and one day when it was really hot I put them in a tub of water together for a swim. They got along fine. If you put them together just make sure you keep a close eye on them and be prepared to cop some bites if they decide they don't like each other.

Our Bredlis live together in a main tank and they fret when you only take one from the tank.Slick and Dominic love backyard time as the stretch out in the sun and nuzzle each other and wrap around each other.......its quite romantic.

When snakes make luuurrve, (mate) they are probably the most gentle creatures on the face of the planet with each other. They are very sensitive to touch and move very slowly and cautiously around and over each other. They pick up on each others movement and seem quite respectful.

Though I do have a male bhp who once over the niceties of introduction, jams his spurs into her and rakes her with them basically raping her and leaving scratch marks on her body. He's a naughty boy...

yeah i was going to start a thread about something like this but if you had like a coastal and a diamond. or any other 2 diffrant species? could they have a play when you take them out of the cage?

Take care while introducing them. Keep an eye on them for a while but after that it should be ok. Remember to always feed separately though if you do end up housing them together

Thanks everyone.....I am not thinking I would ever house them together....too risky...I would hate to come home and find one had eaten the other for lunch !!

Is now the time of year that people start introducing their snakes in terms of wanting to breed? I havent cooled mine or anything as I am not looking to breed (at least not yet)...and it would be just my luck they would get on the good foot and do the bad thing when I dont want them too...although dont they have to be about 3 years old to breed (for jungles)

thanks

snakes are amazing, both my jungles can be sitting together in kill position (at me ofcourse) they will strike at any movement, but not each others movement,...then the diamond can cruise over to them, tehy'll sniff him and continue concentrating on killing me,...so even in cranky mode they still dont bite each other just cos theyre there.

watch their body language when you introduce them, it very unlikely you'll have any problems. (one thing i do tho is wash them before introducing incase of ratty smells)

youre right tho, tehy definately notice each other and are often curled up togehter, especailly once theyre back together after a few days apart. (they digest in seperate indoor enclosures then get moved back outside together and are one happy coil for the next 2 days)

my 2 year old jungles spent most of the summer together in the aviary and didnt mate, so i dont think you'll have a problem there.

ok thanks for your reply

next time they are out I will just wait and see what happens sometimes they completely ignore one another then I wont worry but if they appproach one another I wont stop them...one thing is for sure if they attack one another I'll be pretty sure Ive got two males

But it is unlikely as I do trust the breeder I got them from that they are sexed correctly

I will let everyone know how i get on

Elizabeth

Sooooo

I let them meet
and they loooove each other....all they want to do is cuddle......every time I separated them they just made their way across the room to find each other again.....so I would think I must definitely have a boy and a girl.......
so we needn't have worried about them coiling each other and biting....Im more worred about practicing other things lol

Aww, I'm glad they got along well. You'll have to take some pics next time :)

Sooooo

I let them meet
and they loooove each other....all they want to do is cuddle......every time I separated them they just made their way across the room to find each other again.....so I would think I must definitely have a boy and a girl.......
so we needn't have worried about them coiling each other and biting....Im more worred about practicing other things lol

That doesnt mean that they are male and female! You would get the same result with 2 of either sex.
If they have been sexed as male and female by the breeder then they should be right and at 14mo they wont breed as they arent mature enough.
The earliest we have bred jungles is males at 2yo and females at 2-2.5yo

yes thats what hubby said
still Im nt set up or have the time for babies yet...and I guess I am nervous about accidents.....

I thought boys fight.....or is it just when they ahve been cooled and are ready for breeding that they fight

I will try to get pics next time they are out together.

Theya re sort of so into each other we are letting them out separately because we enjoy them spending time WITH US rather than being so focussed on each other lol

Alvin is in shed....so it will be a while before I can get pics

Elizabeth

it really was awesome grogshla one of the most amazing things Ive ever seen......you should ahve seen my sons face when they were doing figure eights around his feet....really really special

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back