Man on cruelty charge after shooting dog to save wallaby

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slim6y

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Man on cruelty charge after shooting dog to save wallaby | Courier Mail

I apologise if this has been posted before - but I'm not using my laptop and for some reason I can't display new threads like I did on my now stolen laptop.

But how amazing is this story - how can this fellow be charged for animal cruelty, the owner of the dog should be charged! This is the kind of justice that continually gets served in this country - the criminals get off scot free!

I don't know if this story is media sensationalisation - maybe it is - but it does seem pretty sad that this guy is going to get charged!!!

"A MISSION Beach man has been charged with animal cruelty after he shot a dog which was allegedly attacking a wallaby on his property.
The 58-year-old was charged by police after shooting the dog in the leg at his Dargin Rd property on Saturday afternoon.

He told police the dog, which belonged to a neighbour, had been chasing a wallaby when he was forced to intervene. The dog survived the ordeal after a short vet stay.

The man is due to appear in Tully Magistrates Court on April 21."

Ludicrous I say! Ludicrous!!

You're right Byron - the owner should be charged, plus pay the vet bills, plus replace the bullet that was used, and on top of it all be made to cage his dog when he isn't with it.

To me - this is a kick in the face for animal rights more than anything.

What if that same dog had been attacking livestock - the owner of the livestock would not only be able to shoot and kill the dog but would be able to sue the dog's owner!

I can't see how a man protecting native wildlife can be charged???? Yet ironically, in another thread, the chances of someone being charged for killing a snake is near to nil!!!

The dog owner should be charged instead for not keeping their dog safely secured, and their dog causing animal cruelty to protected native animals.

You're right Byron - the owner should be charged, plus pay the vet bills, plus replace the bullet that was used, and on top of it all be made to cage his dog when he isn't with it.

To me - this is a kick in the face for animal rights more than anything.

What if that same dog had been attacking livestock - the owner of the livestock would not only be able to shoot and kill the dog but would be able to sue the dog's owner!

I can't see how a man protecting native wildlife can be charged???? Yet ironically, in another thread, the chances of someone being charged for killing a snake is near to nil!!!
exactly right mate lucky it wasnt me wouldnt have been in the leg

if the wildlife protector had shot to kill it would have been a legitimate kill but as he shot the dog in the leg , maiming it it is cruelty !!

if the wildlife protector had shot to kill it would have been a legitimate kill but as he shot the dog in the leg , maiming it it is cruelty !!

I do see your point... Though if he shot it in the leg, (through being a bad shot) and then went up to it and shot it in the head - how would that look in court? Personally I think he should have taken two shots and made them both count.

I do see your point... Though if he shot it in the leg, (through being a bad shot) and then went up to it and shot it in the head - how would that look in court? Personally I think he should have taken two shots and made them both count.
compassionate

I agree the charge is ridiculous though i do not agree with any of your other points.
There is a lot to consider in this case and too many variables such as the dog very well may be secured by it's owner and this attack is a rare incident where the dog had escaped. It is a dog's natural instinct to chase, so a fleeing wallaby would be very tempting. If it were a reoccurring situation then that would warrant action obviously.

I find it amusing that people bring up animal welfare and cruelty on this site. The views of most here are very inconsistent. You care nothing for cat killing but condone shooting a dog for chasing and attacking a wallaby? You are furious at someone for killing a reptile out of ignorance but probably put no thought into the egg's or meat sitting on your plate? You keep snakes in a box, birds in a cage and working dog's in suburban backyards. Inconsistency at it's best.

Wrong answer to this problem. Maybe: Shooter gets fine for a great shot which hit the dog thus protecting protected/native wildlife, dog owner gets similiar fine for not securing his pet. By using this method everyone loses except the Wallaby :)
Wait, should the dog get a fine aswell for harrassing native wildlife? NO CHEWS FOR A WEEK!!

I agree the charge is ridiculous though i do not agree with any of your other points.
There is a lot to consider in this case and too many variables such as the dog very well may be secured by it's owner and this attack is a rare incident where the dog had escaped. It is a dog's natural instinct to chase, so a fleeing wallaby would be very tempting. If it were a reoccurring situation then that would warrant action obviously.

I find it amusing that people bring up animal welfare and cruelty on this site. The views of most here are very inconsistent. You care nothing for cat killing but condone shooting a dog for chasing and attacking a wallaby? You are furious at someone for killing a reptile out of ignorance but probably put no thought into the egg's or meat sitting on your plate? You keep snakes in a box, birds in a cage and working dog's in suburban backyards. Inconsistency at it's best.

Thanks Minka,

Though it would be appropriate for you to disassociate me from that croud... 1) I love cats, though I thnik they're in the wrong country, 2) I don't even kill fliesm, use poisons or things like that, 3) I don't condone any killing - however, I do believe in strict justice laws, 4) I don't get angry out of someone killing a reptile through ignorance, I get upset for sure, but it's an opportunity to see an education for people... well, some people.... and finally 5) I'm no vegan, I'm a pure omnivore and I always put thought into what goes on my plate... thoughts such as which condament best suits the accompanying taste. I don't eat roo, wallaby or emu - not because they're native, because I don't like them.

Though, I've never tried wallaby, I just assume they're like roo.

As for attacking wildlife... There's no excuse - the owner should be fined and the man who shot the dog rewarded.

In Queensland (the smart state) apparently you can kill a dog if it attacks livestock. However, if livestock are wandering the roads and you hit it in your car, you're liable for the damages (to both you, the car and the livestock injured).

Somehow we devalue our natives so quickly - and this is another proof of it!

I think the issue is probably because the man shot it when it was not endangering his live stock (and it sounds more like an excuse than the truth ot me). Because the wallaby was wild he did not have the right to shoot it.

I am unsure of the law but if its on his property he can shoot what he likes. He was just a stupid honest mug and said it was chasing a wallaby. He should have said it was attacking him. Most people who do feel for wildlife are just to honest.

I am unsure of the law but if its on his property he can shoot what he likes. He was just a stupid honest mug and said it was chasing a wallaby. He should have said it was attacking him. Most people who do feel for wildlife are just to honest.

I think you've made a very valid point...

A few years ago my parents' next door neighbour had a stupid yappy dog that wouldn't shut up. So I gave them the idea, buy a lamb, entice the dog onto the property, shoot the dog and say it was attacking the lamb...

Mum then promptly told me that wouldn't look good... When I asked why, she said because the dog is a bichon frize!!!

no one gets charged for killing a snake on there property which hasnt done anything,but gets charged for harming a dog which was attacking wildlife,
this sort of thing makes my blood boil

what if the situation was reversed, the wallaby was attacking the dog, it'd be ok or if it was a snake attacking the dog, or even the snake attacking the wallaby, in those circumstances, the guy would be a hero, i would have shot the dog as well

As far as I am aware, if a dog is on your property and threatening your livestock etc you are well within your rights to shoot and kill it!

There would obviously be more too this story otherwise he wouldn't be going to court facing charges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back