Man on cruelty charge after shooting dog to save wallaby

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I enjoy shooting all non native animals, enjoy is not a strong enough adjective....adore, love, am enthralled/exhilarated, take great pleasure... Oh I could go on, but feral cats and dogs are my favorite, it makes me feel as if "I'm doing my bit".

While I agree, I can certainly see the owners point of view ;) I'd be furious if someone shot my dog because he was doing what he does naturally (especially as a whippet- very fond of chasies!) There are certainly safer ways of stopping a dog from chasing.

No wild animal, native or not, is worth any of my family or pets (but my dog would sure as hell get into trouble if *I* saw him chasing something native :D).

The neighbour should be charged for not containing the dog properly, however. Assuming, of course, the dog actually got out (doesn't mention anything about that).

My old man shot about 15 dogs in the 80's - 90's attacking our livestock.... about 9 were german shepards (thus my dislike of the breed, only my opinion) 2 cattle dogs,1 doberman and 3 mixed breeds.
To prove the point of being allowed to shoot an animal attacking your livestock, 2 of the german shepards were guard dogs at the local shop being built and the fence was cut and they were loured out via some meat or something (suggested lurrent) then they roamed the streets for the night and found my dad's sheep attacked 5 of them and were killed via a .22 tossed over the fence for council pick up the next morning.

A couple of days later the police were scouring the neighbourhood asking for signs of these dogs @ $5000 ea and ask my dad if he'd seen them ? dad.. was one of them a pure white german shepard and the other a normal....police.. yes,
dad.. ahh yeah i shot them...police why ? dad...prediscussed story.............police ohhh .... ok.
We heard nothing more of the investigation... as u are aloud to protect your livestock getting attacked by another animal. Native animals i don't know about, but just thought id put this story forward if there was any doubts about this kind of case.

I don't think he's being charged for animal cruetly for shooting the dog more so the manner in which it was shot.

If it had been an outright kill, with no suffering to the animal (shot in the leg, i'm assuming that's gotta hurt), this may be a very different story with no charges laid.

While I agree, I can certainly see the owners point of view ;) I'd be furious if someone shot my dog because he was doing what he does naturally (especially as a whippet- very fond of chasies!) There are certainly safer ways of stopping a dog from chasing.

No wild animal, native or not, is worth any of my family or pets (but my dog would sure as hell get into trouble if *I* saw him chasing something native :D).

The neighbour should be charged for not containing the dog properly, however. Assuming, of course, the dog actually got out (doesn't mention anything about that).
You would probably be more than furious if it was my stock or even natives on MY land that your dog was bothering while just doing what he does naturally. If it's on my land uninvited and up to no good it's leaving in a body bag.

Dog Shooting

Hi all, just to let you know the real facts about the dog shooting , the dog owner has been warned on several occasions about his dog running around the neighbour hood , the dog was actually attacking the wallaby when it was shot at, the dog is a bull terrior cross , capable of taking down any animal, the wallaby would surley have been killed if no one intervened , the wallaby substained quit a lot of damage from the attack, and was unable to hop away , yes i am the person responsible , and love animals very much , my wife is a X wild life carer , and was very upset when this happened , i am sick to death of people that don't take responsible for their animals , especially dogs , the law has to be change to protect animals , and humans , you see to often that people or children are mauled by dogs , but nothing is done until it is too late. I will fight this until justice has been served .

Don't worry mate we all appreciate what you did. I've shot straying dogs for less in the past and i'm sure i'll be doing it again.

Hi all, just to let you know the real facts about the dog shooting , the dog owner has been warned on several occasions about his dog running around the neighbour hood , the dog was actually attacking the wallaby when it was shot at, the dog is a bull terrior cross , capable of taking down any animal, the wallaby would surley have been killed if no one intervened , the wallaby substained quit a lot of damage from the attack, and was unable to hop away , yes i am the person responsible , and love animals very much , my wife is a X wild life carer , and was very upset when this happened , i am sick to death of people that don't take responsible for their animals , especially dogs , the law has to be change to protect animals , and humans , you see to often that people or children are mauled by dogs , but nothing is done until it is too late. I will fight this until justice has been served .

Mate - you truly are a wildlife warrior - I only wished I had enough guts to do what you had done. Well done - and I do sincerely mean that.

I hope that the courts are good to you too - and can see what you were doing was an act of kindness and not selfishness and I hope that your case also brings to the attention of the public the requirement to make sure people's pets are always secured and can not attack wildlife!

Well done again.

I would have done the same in the situation, full support here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back