One feral cat's 24 hour catch

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So he's written a paper, or should I say co-written, he's also declared his own nature reserve but it doesn't alter the fact that he has a particular hatred of cats and enjoys killing them.

And I am not saying nothing should be done about feral cats, just making a point that he is the kind of person who would fake a photo to further his agenda, if he is who I think he is.

So you know this guy well then?

Does seem an odd thing for a bloke who is so passionate about saving native wildlife to kill a whole bunch of native reptiles and one cat just to prove a conservation point.

This thread was started to discuss the cat and reptile registration and licensing and not the agenda of the person who wrote the (peer reviewed) CSIRO article. so lets talk about that, rather than being defamatory.

Sye

Last edited:
So you know this guy well then?

Does seem an odd thing for a bloke who is so passionate about about native wildlife to kill a whole bunch of native reptiles and one cat just to prove a conservation point.

This thread was started to discuss the cat and reptile registration and licensing and not the agenda of the person who wrote the (peer reviewed) CSIRO article. so lets talk about that, rather than being defamatory.

Sye
I wasn't being defamatory, I don't even know if it is the same guy, I ws asking. The guy I mean has been on TV in a few current affairs and ABC show. He wears a cat skin jacket, and who said he had to kill all the animals himself. Like I said I think feral animals and uncontrolled domestic animals are bad but if it is the guy I mean, his radical attitude does not help matters.

It seems like the government have the licensing thing around the wrong way........we should be licensing ALL non native pet owners and we should be free to keep natives.

It seems like the government have the licensing thing around the wrong way........we should be licensing ALL non native pet owners and we should be free to keep natives.

Well said!

People cant compare the eating habits of thier beloved house cat to the one thats wild and roams the Australian bush looking for its next feed!

Well said!

People cant compare the eating habits of thier beloved house cat to the one thats wild and roams the Australian bush looking for its next feed!
Thats true a domesticated cat eats mush thats already chewed up for it (canned crap) I've seen feral cats that are enormous
in comparison to home cats.

Well said!

Actually you can.
As the animal's jaw structure remains the same. When it kills prey, a cat uses it's larger teeth situated on the upper and lower jaws. The teeth penetrate between neck vertebrae and tear the backbone. The largest teeth that move scissors-like when the jaws close are of special importance. Small front incisors serve to separate meat from bones and to carry different things, prey or kittens, for example.

I am not arguing the feral cat's impact on the environment. They clearly pose a significant threat to native wildlife in Australia. And i am all for culling them humanely. But one would expect at least a couple of those prey items to either be chewed to varying degree's if not severed into pieces or partly digested. Cat's have extremely high metabolisms and digest food at a rapid rate. I am not about to insinuate anything about another person's "findings" but IMO that picture (until proven otherwise) is complete BS.

maybe the cat had just come back from the dentist and it hurt to chew??

I too would have expected more damage to the prey. Feline side teeth are designed for cutting (think of documentaries where you see lions/tigers/cats turning their heads sideways to cut off meat). But meh this guy would surely know that and would have made a better fake if he wanted to.

Feral cats are great reptile predators and they are good at it and they will swallow fast, not like your pampered house cat, I watched one eat a small bird once and it didn't do much chewing.
Then I blew its head off.:(
Photo is real, ferals are bad.

cool, another cat fight. as usual my sig says it all really.

as someone who has poked around inside ferals before it looks legit to me.
and i'll add that the stench of dissected cat is truly stomach churning.

Feral cats are great reptile predators and they are good at it and they will swallow fast, not like your pampered house cat, I watched one eat a small bird once and it didn't do much chewing.
Then I blew its head off.:(
Photo is real, ferals are bad.
Spot on ! I have seen the stomach contents of a feral cats that contained mainly intacted prey items. Whole items such as field crickets, grasshoppers, mice and small skinks.

Thats true a domesticated cat eats mush thats already chewed up for it (canned crap) I've seen feral cats that are enormous
in comparison to home cats.
lol thats funny i feed my cats propper meat not that canned stuff and they are huge

the only good cat is a dead cat

Thats just as bad, maybe worse than saying "The only good snake is a dead snake" snakes and cats are both predators, hunting to survive. Going by your logic should we say "the only good human is a dead human"? Think about it, us humans make feral cats look like angels! We kill animals just for money and fun. Humans in Australia kill hundreds of snakes and sharks meaninglessly each year, just out of fear.
Thanks to us, whales, tigers, pandas and countless other creatures are on the brink of extinction. Also, thanks to us the ozone layer is getting thinner and thinner each year. Cats don't seem so bad anymore, eh?

Last edited:
Thats just as bad, maybe worse than saying "The only good snake is a dead snake" snakes and cats are both predators, hunting to survive. Going by your logic should we say "the only good human is a dead human"? Think about it, us humans make feral cats look like angels! We kill animals just for money and fun. Humans in Australia kill hundreds of snakes and sharks meaninglessly each year, just out of fear.

Spot on mate, humans are definitely the worst environmental pests - unnecessary killing, habitat destruction, pollution and the list goes on

I would also expect the prey items to be somewhat chewed, the biology of domestic and feral cats is obviously quite similar so I think you can compare them. However I do also realise that we are dealing with quite small prey items so I wouldn't completely write the photo off based on the fact that most of the prey animals dont appear to be chewed in to small pieces.
I'm a little shocked by the concern here though, it's not often on APS that people show too much consideration at all for our wildlife - which is even more puzzling given that most of us keep at least one species.

a little young to be such a misanthrope. wait till you're my age before deciding this place would be better off without us.

That seems too much to be true. Surely? Or do those species live in communities?

a little young to be such a misanthrope. wait till you're my age before deciding this place would be better off without us.

I don't hate people and I'm not saying all humans should be killed. I'm just saying that humans do more damage than cats, yet it would be very wrong to kill people while it seems not so bad to kill cats.
And yes I'm young but I think a lot and I speak my mind :p which isn't always a good thing, especially at school :lol:

And yes I'm young but I think a lot and I speak my mind :p which isn't always a good thing, especially at school :lol:
Been there, done that, stopped this year.

On-topic, this looks legit, just shows how bad cats are.

That seems too much to be true. Surely? Or do those species live in communities?

Well i was thinking if this guy wears Cat skin hats..then..he's no crazier than the cat lady off the Simpsons!..Ha ha..no but to be honest..thats alot of food for a cat in just one night!..and cats are nocturnal hunters mainly,where is non of these reptiles are nocturnal..I can understand If the cat has picked them off low lying branches,but was not aware a cat could turn over rocks...second of all,since its such a large feed,im guessing some of the species there would had to have been eaten like a night or day before..meaning wouldnt some these little guys be half digested by now?.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back