Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Waterrat

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
What's going on this year? We're still having summer weather, temps 24 - 32 degrees, humidity in the 90%, rainy periods .... and I have 2 pairs mating! This is really weird as in the past 6 years the mating season never started before May / June. :?

thats wired, is there anything that can go wrong if mating takes place so early ???

I wouldn't think so, even if the females are not ready, they can hols viable sperm for a long time.

I am actually seeing the same thing at my place and i am a good 12 hours from you Micheal. Though i keep all my animals separately but over the weekend whilst cleaning i threw a few of the same species in a tub to aid speedy cleaning and had Woma's, BHP's and Jungles attempting to mate. With one successful mating from a pair of Jungles! :?

They probably figure that the world is coming to an end,( with all the cyclones, earthquakes and nuclear meltdowns) they'd get in while they still can. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:
I know your only joking Akwendi but in all seriousness it may well be weather related.
It's been a big year for cyclones with Yassi and all. Animals sense things that we cannot. Check the barometric pressure Michael. Has it been unusual lately?

I wish we had a summer down here this year :(

Micheal I think that the weather is that topsy turvy at present from what we are used to & does not look like changing in the near future & that Mother has taken hold.
Anything would not surprise me from watching the animals that I see in my work travels. They do what they think is best & don't rely on a clock or luck.

Cheers
Ian.

My M. carinata are coiled up together at the moment Michael. I am so sick of the rain it is not funny. I have been damp for the last 18 months! We have only had 18 rain free days since early November 2010!

Perhaps the carinata are coiled up as they are sick of getting wet lol.

The Wet is certainly effecting them. Water blisters just before sloughing are quite common now. I put perspex sheets over parts of the enclosures but the silly buggers hang out in the rain anyway.

Not sure if this applies, but I've had mates who have breedings all through last autumn till now.
With Monitors, Geckos and some pythons.

its the el nina not el nino or something like that....apparently we are in the alternate weather cycle.....or something.......apparently its all very explainable......yeh I beleive the weatherologists thought thousands wouldnt !!

my geog teacher was telling us about the la nina or whatever it's really called...anyways, he said that if it's a la nina here then in south america there is like the opposite (forgot what it's called) anyways...he explained it a in relatively simple way but i've forgotten by now xD

its the el nina not el nino or something like that....apparently we are in the alternate weather cycle.....or something.......apparently its all very explainable......yeh I beleive the weatherologists thought thousands wouldnt !!

... and what it has got to do with python mating ?????

my geog teacher was telling us about the la nina or whatever it's really called...anyways, he said that if it's a la nina here then in south america there is like the opposite (forgot what it's called) anyways...he explained it a in relatively simple way but i've forgotten by now xD

Relevance to python mating?

Mine usually start mating early march down here (Sydney).

Last edited:
well i thought maybe different weather etc might effect their desire to mate...especially the humidity and temp

Mine usually start mating early march down here (Sydney).

Mine are indoors sydney,the male mated with one female several times in early february and wasnt interested in another female.Seems to be some females emit pheromones when in "season" and some dont. The temperatures at that time were barely getting down below 27c where they are kept,nightss were actually warmish.
So yeh ime not surprised that greens are mating when kept outdoors around cairns if a male was introduced for the jiggy jigs.

All my childrens, stimsons and maccies have been mating like crazy. Its a bit early as they normally not like this till may-june.
Strange weather???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back