Should kids that are working and living at home be made to pay board?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should kids that work and live at home pay board?

• Yes

Votes: 90 73.2%
  • No

Votes: 26 21.1%
  • Unsure

Votes: 6 4.9%
  • Board?? What is that?

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FAY

This is just a bit of fun, but gets in my craw.
I never, ever had it easy and was made to pay my way as soon as I got a job.

What do you guys think???

Yes they should, a percentage of their income. You should put a $ value on everything.
Washing, food the lot. If you don't they have no concept of the value of lifes needs.

Depends on the situation they are in.. If they are just working and staying at home yes they should.. If they are at uni or doing some qualifications then I would be more lenient and allow them to stay board free while studying.. But as soon as they finish they start paying..

I paid board while I was at home but then I moved out to my own place for uni and had to rent. I am none the worse for it (I think) but I had to work alot more to afford it.

im unemployed and i still pay my way...i use my centrelink allowance to pay the phone bill, chip in fortnightly with food bill and when the AGL bill comes the 3 of us split the cost

i think if your receiving any income and you live at home you should chip in. your parent/s have provided you with a roof over your head, a place to sleep, food and a place to shower etc even $50 a fortnight won't hurt. i can never leave home really because of transport issues so i chip in for petrol for 2 cars.

im currently a 3rd year apprentice plumber, turning 4th year in a week and im living at home with my parents and i pay $80 a week

i say no. let the kids save up there money. remembering once they win lotto they may help you out.. and exspecially if they dont make much $$, like trainee ships.. 1 day a weeks.

I paid board/rent as soon as I started working full time from 18, but that included everything.

Just teaches you how to budget etc..it's a bit of a shock moving out of home and seeing bills you've never seen before lol

Depends on the situation they are in.. If they are just working and staying at home yes they should.. If they are at uni or doing some qualifications then I would be more lenient and allow them to stay board free while studying.. But as soon as they finish they start paying..

I paid board while I was at home but then I moved out to my own place for uni and had to rent. I am none the worse for it (I think) but I had to work alot more to afford it.

I didn't pay anything while I was at high school with a job, but now I'm finished, I'm doing a TAFE course online and working fulltime at Woolies, and I pay $10 a day board + my personal bills (gym, phone etc)

and let them mooch? nah ah nope, the true value of money is taught from a young age and if soft parents just let them mooch their whole life then they won't learn anything. for a long time, before i could get centrelink mum would give me $50 a fortnight and i would put $20 away and live off $30 for 2weeks, thats how i managed to save and buy my first ipod.

and let them mooch? nah ah nope, the true value of money is taught from a young age and if soft parents just let them mooch their whole life then they won't learn anything. for a long time, before i could get centrelink mum would give me $50 a fortnight and i would put $20 away and live off $30 for 2weeks, thats how i managed to save and buy my first ipod.

I used to get $10 a fortnight pocket money, motivated me to get a job pretty quick.

I put away 10% of my income each week in a long term savings account with a good interest rate, then I have a short term account and my keycard account which I just have spending money on.

I've so far paid for a month in Vietnam and Laos, and went hiking in NZ for two weeks end of last year :D

I just started my degree and have no 'set' board - usually I'll cook dinner a couple nights a week and buy some groceries on the way home from uni. Then again, I have a cousin who dropped out, quit work and does nothing but sit around all day who does nothing. So I voted yes, but definately be lenient on us poor students :)

I was working 3 nights a week when I was in yr 11 & 12, earning around $150 and was paying $75 week in board. If I wasn't home when mum started cooking dinner I missed out. When I finished school and started my mechanical apprenticeship, earning $183 net they wanted to slug me $100 in board. I ended up moving in with a few mates and ended up paying $80 week Inc bills so was stoked

I think i paid like 20$-30$ a week when i was 18...pretty cheap.

I do agree with fay kind of..depends though, if they had a better paying job than me, then hell yeh! But if it was just a casual job then nah..
I think once they get to a certain age though, board should be paid..id probably let mine off coz im soft. lol

ohh im motivated to get a job but no one will employ me because of certain reasons

Yes.
It taught me responsibility and how to manage my money.

On my 18th my mom gave me $200 dollars, the next day she told me I owed her $250 rent for the month.
All last year I worked, I payed for a third of the power bill, the phone bills and internet plus my own groceries.

The only time I received money was for public transport if I short a few dollars.

Now that I'm at uni I still work and pay for the internet and a third of the power bill.

While your at school most the time you literally can't work enough to make a difference and your most likely concentrating on school rather than work. When your out, you have the ability to help.
I think your really shelfish if you don't considering your parents raised you and spent more money and time on you than you can imagine.

I was working 3 nights a week when I was in yr 11 & 12, earning around $150 and was paying $75 week in board. If I wasn't home when mum started cooking dinner I missed out. When I finished school and started my mechanical apprenticeship, earning $183 net they wanted to slug me $100 in board. I ended up moving in with a few mates and ended up paying $80 week Inc bills so was stoked

That is just wrong!!

yeah i had it just as hard as above, though i had to pay for my own schooling as well, if i wanted to do year 11 and 12 (back then it wasnt compulsory) then i had to pay for everything myself, plus school books, excursions uniform etc. So i had 2 jobs while doing TEE just to afford to go and live haha, yeah my mum was a hard bitch, plus i had to pay $175 per fortnight for board, chip in for the phone and internet and buy my own groceries, plus cook and clean too. I had a very two very tiresome years, though i graduated with a high score, then moved out the next day and never looked back lol

i say yes make them pay board, but only ift they have finished school. While at school and working they should pay for there own luxuries such as phone cred, clothes etc. Soon as they finish school and start work fulltime the make em pay, it will set them up for when they move out of home. They may hate you at first (i did) but then they'll thank you for it later. It sure showed me a thing or two about budgeting and paying bills etc

Last edited:
I agree with nicole, i just got a job and my mum said that she won't charge board while im at school but as soon as i stop or graduate then i have to pay for food, electricity etc.

Depends on age i think anything over 18 you should, but also depends on how much they are earning.
But then again your a parent, you can't be that bad you need your own child to pay there way.
cmon its your own kid, its pretty much saying that you need money to spend time with them, yet they all cry when the kid leaves :S.

If they are working and at school then no as its just a vit of fun money for them.and just think if they dont work you end up paying for phone credit.money to go out etc. But once out of school and at work id expect bord. The amount id decide on there work situation. And just cause they pay bord does not mean thats it, they will do choars around the house to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back