new, and thinking of getting a spotted

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jordan-gibson

Reaction score
hello everyone, i have been wanting to get a python for a wile now and have decided i would like to get a spotted python, i have recently joined a different forum where i have found that is not that active, i have managed to get a bit of information from it but would like to know if any of you have any tips or suggestions, ok wile i was on the other forum i decided i would go with getting a hatchling and keep it in a container for now and maybe a larger one for when its an adult, i know i need a thermostat and heat mat, but what size would i need for a hatchi and would i be able to use it once its an adult? dose anyone know of someone that i could get a hatchi of for around $100 in the sunshine coast region? best place to get equipment and food on the sunshine coast? any sex better then the other? if you can think of anything else i should know about keeping a spotted python i would love to hear it, thanks

jordan

Welcome Jordan :) A click clack would work for a hatchy but I normally move them into their own enclosure once they get old enough for it.. some people use big plastic tubs and what not.. but i prefer wooden enclosures while my collection isn't massive. The size of the heat mat would depend on the enclosure.. so long as it can heat 1/4 of the click clack or enclosure (which should be the opposite side to the water and hidey house) you are using it should be fine. If you plan ahead you could get a heat mat that would work for it when its an adult too. Keep an eye on the snakes for sale section in the forums tab.. there are some Stimson's pythons for sale at the sunshine coast I think... I live in Brisbane so I'm not totally sure of the best place to get equipment at the sunny coast. As far as I'm aware sex doesn't make much of a difference with Spotteds but I'm not completely sure.

i was thinking i would keep it in a click clack and then plastic tub till i cold afford or make a proper enclosure for it, also what is the recommended size enclosure for an adult? thanks for your help

Sounds like a plan :) a minimum size enclosure for an adult is 500mm x 400mm x 300mm from what i have read.

ok thanks, aslo kaotikjezta, what size heat pad do you have for your snake or do you use a lamp or both? aslo how much are they to feed when adult, i know it varies but just a rough figure

Last edited:
ok thanks, aslo kaotikjezta, what size heat pad do you have for your snake or do you use a lamp or both? aslo how much are they to feed when adult, i know it varies but just a rough figure
I use a lamp as my enclosures had a wired thermostat that connects to the lamp. I feed mine 1 adult mouse every 7-10 days, they are both 7 years old. Some people feed them more but mine seem happy and in good condition with what they get.

thanks, i think i know now what i need to know, am planing on going to a a pet shop with a reptile section and hopefully find someone there that knows there stuff about snakes and just having a chat to them about what i need and probably wont buy anything for now just think it would be good to talk to an actual person, anyone know any good places on the sunshine coast? would be a great help thanks

Just did a quick google search... seems there is one called Claws and Paws Pet Shop at 392 Nicklin Way Bokarina Sunshine Coast Qld. The spotted on the website is pricy as tho but they may be good for info :D

Don't bother with any of the pet shops on the Sunshine Coast, especially Claws and Paws (the girl there will tell you that snakes eat crickets). The information from them is useless and they are very over-priced. If you are after information and want to talk to actual people who know what they are talking about you are best to go to one of the Sunshine Coast reptile club meetings... the members are very friendly and full of information, many people that go along also have snakes for sale...including Spotted Pythons.

Well there you go :D i know nothing about the sunny coast.. just figured i would try :p

Don't bother with any of the pet shops on the Sunshine Coast, especially Claws and Paws (the girl there will tell you that snakes eat crickets). The information from them is useless and they are very over-priced. If you are after information and want to talk to actual people who know what they are talking about you are best to go to one of the Sunshine Coast reptile club meetings... the members are very friendly and full of information, many people that go along also have snakes for sale...including Spotted Pythons.

Are you serious, that's terrible, I wonder how many people have bought snakes and then wondered why they wouldn't eat the crickets.

I don't want to bad mouth any pet shops or anything, they just need to at least educate their staff a little bit on what they are selling. Also pet shops are always going to be expensive because of overheads etc.. It's best to find a breeder and have a chat to them, they can answer any questions you might have and their animals will most of the time be much cheaper than a pet shop.

i do believe i might have gone to that same pet shop a couple years ago when i first wanted to get a snake and might have even talked to the same girl because i was aslo told that snakes eat crickets, aslo meal worms and need UV lights, i then proceeded to another pet shop of which name and place i have no idea but the guy there actually had snakes of his own and was quite helpful, never ended up getting a snake tho, but hopefully soon i will and am really looking forward to it, i quite certain i know what i need to know to look after it correctly but i still feel like i need to know more so i dont know what ill get out of talking to someone at a pet shop but i also would like to know there prices on stuff like thermostats and heat pads, and i think i might just take a look at one of those club meeting you were suggesting and see if i can pick myself up a nice little snake (not before i have a setup but) and thanks, hope whatever i just said makes sense iv kinda just been typing randomly

Last edited:
I have had my Female Spotted Python Hatchling for 5 days now.I got her from a breeder in NSW.I bought a small Breeding Box from the Pet Shop for about $25 or you can use a click clack container.All you need to begin with in the enclosure is some paper towel and a small water bowel, and a thermometer to check the temp at both ends (they aren't much from the pet shop).My heat pad is a 14 Watt.I found that the smaller 2.5 watt wasn't warm enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back