Gay Discrimination

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i am going to judge you on the fact that u posted this on a forum that you have joined today. that worries me.

+1

Also, why would any partner of yours feel the need to openly discuss the nitty gritties of what gets you going to your parents? Gay or straight, your parents don't need to know that...

I hate the labels and clique's and stereo typing that the media and society expects us to form to

Then you are guilty of exactly the same thing you are accusing her of. Hypocrisy...? I don't see many straight people being openly straight to the point it is in your face. There's nothing wrong with holding hands and giving a kiss in public, whether you're gay, or straight. It is the gay people that go about it in a very obvious way (not that I care, just making a point that you seem to miss).

To say that you are misanthropic is just as bad as anything else, because you hate the majority of everything.

Hypocrisy? No. I'm pointing out how people seem to be obsessed with ridiculing and demeaning overtly feminine, gay men when they are a minority and straight culture is jammed down our throats by society (peers, the media, its everywhere if you open your eyes). I'm pointing out that whilst people may think gay men are often over the top, they fail to realise that normative behaviour constantly grips society and that any behaviour(s) that deviates should not be up for ridicule or other criticism.

So if gay people do something that's 'obvious' it's inappropriate, but for straight people to do something just as obvious, that's okay?
If you're going to make arguments, back them up with examples at least.

I have my reasons for misanthropy. The majority of the population appear to be quite brainless and bigoted. I base this on various sorts of statistics (when it comes to politics, gay marriage, general social norms) not to mention studying a LOT of Psychology. I'm a misanthrope, but I come to this position through critical thinking, reasoning and observation. This thread definitely contributes towards that.

You are completly missing the point and i didnt say anything of the sort, if you are just going to put words in everybodies mouths then this thread is going to go on forever....... pull your head in and understand what is being said.

If you think I'm resorting to straw-man arguments, then perhaps state your position better? You have failed to say anything except to criticise flamboyantly 'obvious' gay men and women who cross the gender binary.

I mean if you like girls and you are a girl, you dont need to act like a man. I know a few girls that like girls and they look and act like dirty old truckers or something. It is quite off putting.......

You don't need to act like a man? If you're a girl and you like girls, who's to say you *should* act like a girl?
Your argumentation skills are severely lacking. You clearly don't see the distinction present in Hume's is/ought
problem. It's off putting why? Because their behaviour is not representative of the normative social norms you've
grown up with and come to expect?

Last edited:
As adults when we live and let live, we don't need to criticize, judge, or condemn others. We have no need to control them or try and make them conform to our way of thinking. We let others live their own lives and we live ours.Why do people feel they have criticize, judge, or condemn others on race, thinking, sexuality,views,cars,etc.This could be a endless list that could go on till the end of time, mostly driven by people's own issues/agenda's and always be mostly pointless.Compared to the bigger picture of humanity as an evolved race and we wonder why the aliens won't visit or show up to advance our civilization.

To (hopefully) get back on topic, here's a good example of GLBT discrimination:

It is currently only possible for transgender folk (male to female) to obtain Androcur (an anti-androgen that blocks testosterone) through obtaining an authority script. This is only possible by ending up on a list with the Therapeutic Goods Administration that labels you as a 'sexual deviant'. However, men are able to obtain Androcur for prostate cancer, and women may be prescribed it for 'excess androgenisation' (such as excessive facial/body hair) WITHOUT ending up on the same list.

Thanks Syner :)

A few people stayed on topic, I have been observing and waiting for answers :)
Not that all of the issues presented are not relevant...

Out of interest Shell, what level of study is this for?

Hey Shell477, I can list a few, some are obvious - Religious pity / discrimination in social scene. Not being allowed to give blood to red cross. Not being recognised as a couple under ''gov. law'' & homosexual lobbies marching for gay marriage which gives religious people a right to criticise. Also being a blockage for those who want a fair deal (as in, pay tax, just want same benefits as hetro couples who get married having no kids). At workplace / new people you meet every time - you deal with scrutiny & have to make up for it by explaining yourself in a diff. way thats suitable to their ears or lie about yourself to get ahead. Being socially casted into the 'gay community', which brings on 'sexual incendo's' with everything & promotes stereotype & division, more so at times than heterosexual society does. Discrimination in jobs such as childcare relating u to peds, or school teachers having to keep all social matters prvt, as well as sports.
To the other people I understand other minorities have similar problems, but thats another paper so stick to another chat topic.

So if gay people do something that's 'obvious' it's inappropriate, but for straight people to do something just as obvious, that's okay?
If you're going to make arguments, back them up with examples at least.

You talk about heterosexuality being jammed down peoples throats, I can agree with this in terms of MEDIA, but not in every day life where you see straight couples walking down the street. My point was that some gay couples go to extreme lengths to fly the flag. I would be annoyed if I saw a straight couple doing everything they could, bar stripping their clothes off and going for it, to convey that they were straight when it isn't necessary. It is obvious that a man and a woman are straight if they are walking down the street holding hands and give each other a smooch, it is just as obvious when a gay couple does it. There is no need to go "over the top" as you said (which not many people know, but OTT has no place in any argument where someone is discussing this topic, as it is war terminology) whether you're gay, or straight.

So because the issue is not as bad as when you were younger we should all become complacent and not fight for equal rights?

How would you feel if you were in a loving relationship for years, your partner is terminally ill and the hospital is only allowing immediate family in to see them?? This happened to a friend and he had to lie and say he was the sick persons brother!

Imagine then that your partner died, then you were not entitled to their superannuation......... or other effects? Is this right?!?!?!

Why do people feel the need to tell me i am gay??? Trust me, i had heard it from colleagues, fellow students, strangers, idiots in the street driving past in their car throwing bottles out the window at me! BEOFRE I PLUCKED UP THE COURAGE TO TELL ANY OF MY FAMILY, I HAD BEEN TOLD I WAS GAY THOUSANDS OF TIMES. In a demeaning, discriminatory or violent way.

For those of you who think it is all a joke, or that gays are equal, or that we don't still face issues in life because of arrogant small minded people, take a look at this.

Please, watch it all the way through!

YouTube - Joel Burns tells gay teens "it gets better" Joel Burns for Fort Worth City Council District 9

that sucks! i can't believe peop0le actually behave like that.
I think one of the main issues is that if you stick up for a gay person, you may also get discriminated and put through hell, at school at least, don't know how gays really are treated in a work and social situation.

Will

grimbeny, im doing a diploma of welfare work. only new to it though :)

I believe there is a law in NSW which allows private schools to expel students on the basis of being gay. They dont have to be flaunting their sexuality or anything of that sort.. being homosexual is enough.

Its really quite upsetting to see some of the immature, uneducated and misinformed attitudes which seem to spring to light every time the topic of GLBT issues comes up.

What is the deal with bisexual? Seems it's somewhat of trendy thing, but from a biological standpoint I can't understand one person being attracted to both sexes. Not that I'm opposed to it, ;) haha.

Not even bisexuals understand it lol!

Sexuality is a weird topic. I think there is a significant proportion of the population who are not entirely one way or the other and are attracted to men and women at varying degrees. I think the biological reason (if there is one) may simply be because people have sex for pleasure, not reproduction. At the moment it just happens to be socially acceptable for women to experiment in same sex relationships, but not yet for men.

Anyone experienced homosexual behaviour with their snakes? (no pun intended :p)

I work with a gay chap. He was the best man at my wedding. He is a normal guy as far as anyone is concerned. He doesn't act like a typical gay person where everything is overly dramatic or where he needs to be noticed cause he is gay.

I knew another gay guy once who was the complete opposite. Must be that case of two sides to every story things again.

Some of the people I have come across in life that turned out to be gay have really surprised me, and I'm not that easily surprised and my gaydar is in working order. There was a beautiful girl at uni I was friends with who caught the eye of every straight guy, she had a flawless figure and all. She turned out (after much struggling with it) to be a lesbian, which to this day still amazes me. Again at uni I knew this one big, burley lad who was also in the army and masculine in every way. I even asked him if he was homophobic once when the issue came up. He turned out to be gay!! After many more encounters and experiences just like these ones, I have come to the conclusion that in fact the masculine women and feminine men that form the visual gay frontline of non-heterosexuality are the minority, and in fact the vast majority of actual gay people are invisible, choosing to conform and appear hetero and even living married lives in hiding. Why they are too pained to live their lives authentic to their nature I think has much to do with discrimination, which is just cruel. The suffering imposed by repression must be crushing, it must break some people eventually.

Hey Shell477, I can list a few, some are obvious - Religious pity / discrimination in social scene. Not being allowed to give blood to red cross. Not being recognised as a couple under ''gov. law'' & homosexual lobbies marching for gay marriage which gives religious people a right to criticise. Also being a blockage for those who want a fair deal (as in, pay tax, just want same benefits as hetro couples who get married having no kids). At workplace / new people you meet every time - you deal with scrutiny & have to make up for it by explaining yourself in a diff. way thats suitable to their ears or lie about yourself to get ahead. Being socially casted into the 'gay community', which brings on 'sexual incendo's' with everything & promotes stereotype & division, more so at times than heterosexual society does. Discrimination in jobs such as childcare relating u to peds, or school teachers having to keep all social matters prvt, as well as sports.
To the other people I understand other minorities have similar problems, but thats another paper so stick to another chat topic.

So because the issue is not as bad as when you were younger we should all become complacent and not fight for equal rights?

How would you feel if you were in a loving relationship for years, your partner is terminally ill and the hospital is only allowing immediate family in to see them?? This happened to a friend and he had to lie and say he was the sick persons brother!

Imagine then that your partner died, then you were not entitled to their superannuation......... or other effects? Is this right?!?!?!

Why do people feel the need to tell me i am gay??? Trust me, i had heard it from colleagues, fellow students, strangers, idiots in the street driving past in their car throwing bottles out the window at me! BEOFRE I PLUCKED UP THE COURAGE TO TELL ANY OF MY FAMILY, I HAD BEEN TOLD I WAS GAY THOUSANDS OF TIMES. In a demeaning, discriminatory or violent way.

For those of you who think it is all a joke, or that gays are equal, or that we don't still face issues in life because of arrogant small minded people, take a look at this.

Please, watch it all the way through!

YouTube - Joel Burns tells gay teens "it gets better" http://www.joelburns.com

Jay, I have been through this and have lost a partner through leukemia in the end and straight people just don't understand how hard it is to find that special person in the population and now have no one in 02 this happened to me and have never been able to find someone special since.

I would like to also give back into the community at times and donate blood but by law i'm not allowed to. But now i'm just a stronger person on my own and am used to it.

Straight people just don't get it its not a choice and out of the population its a small community and not much as they say " fish in the sea" to have that special stable person in your life.

Not even bisexuals understand it lol!

Sexuality is a weird topic. I think there is a significant proportion of the population who are not entirely one way or the other and are attracted to men and women at varying degrees. I think the biological reason (if there is one) may simply be because people have sex for pleasure, not reproduction. At the moment it just happens to be socially acceptable for women to experiment in same sex relationships, but not yet for men.

Well, I'm actually bi, not gay, and I find that I'm strongly attracted to men sexually, but look to women for a relationship. I find the idea of sex with women repulsive...

Yeah weird one here :p

Great post Toximac, you seem to cover most things there. Jay84 the first video I've seen before and is very inspiring, the second video is brilliant!

why do people have to actively tell you there gay (come out) i dont feel the need to tell people i like females

I "come out" so as to give me a chance to tell the people I love personally and give them a chance to not only to understand what it means to be gay (we don't all have aids, anal sex and take drugs!) but also gave them a chance to ask me personal questions about me, being gay, and what it means to them! It's also healthy for the individual to get it of her/her chest as repressing such emotion is not good for ones health.

Anyone experienced homosexual behaviour with their snakes? (no pun intended :p)

Kawasakirider there a book by Joan Roughgarden called Evolution's Rainbow
I suggest you look it up

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back