Housing small goannas

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spongebob

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I've had a few enquiries lately about how I house my small goannas, so I thought I'd post up some pictures. These enclosures are fine for V.brevicauda and storrri and for raising V.acanthurus, gilleni and tristis. They can also be used for adult gillens, but larger individuals probably need something a bit bigger.

My basic design is based on the 52 litre starmaid tub. Washed sand or red desert sand is used for substrate and a line of fluon is painted around the top of the tub to stop too many woodies escaping.

IMG_5711.jpg

A large window is cut in the lid and aluminium flyscreen is glued in place, and a 240v Halogen is attached to the lid with a 35w globe. These are GU10 fittings. They generally come with a 50w globe with is too powerful. The 35w globe gives a really good localised hotspot of around 60 -70C, which is what goannas need. The globes are on a thermostat that switches the lights off only on hot days when the ambient temperature of the room gets to around the mid 30's. There is no other source of heat.

IMG_5715.jpg

The tubs fit nicely in rows of 3 on those flat pack shelf systems available in Bunnings.

IMG_5710.jpg

To give extra useable space I use rile racks and hides made from terracotta flower pot saucers. Cable tidy makes a great hide also and it's easy to extract the inhabitant.

IMG_5713.jpg

For adult gillens I use slightly different set up -a standard enclosure with a 40w spot globe on a dimming thermostat.

IMG_5716.jpg

Please feel free to add pics of your set ups

Bob

Awesome pics and explanations, Bob!

May I ask what you use for UVB?
and...
How do you attach the lamps to the lids of the tub and do you need the services of an electrician?

Nice.
I like your rack, the only thing is I would cut out the front and add glass to it. Cause we all know how entertaining monitors are :D

Awesome pics and explanations, Bob!

May I ask what you use for UVB?
and...
How do you attach the lamps to the lids of the tub and do you need the services of an electrician?

General consensus is they dont need UVB.

The lamps have a bracket which is attached through the lid to a piece of wood -see bottom row of rack. Of course all electrical work needs to be done by a sparky

Terrific, Bob, and so good of you to give ur time to explain it all to us.....is Selley.s Kwik Grip Gel still the best glue to glue the fly-screen to the plastic box ?

Thanks for sharing Bob,

The Goanna's that I bought from you arrived today and they are awesome mate.

To any future buyers, Bob was one of the easiest blokes to deal with that I have ever bought animals from.

Cheers,
Nick

Agreed Bob is fantastic to deal with and a great bloke. I'm in the process of replicating his setup at the moment.

Excellent thread.

Also have to agree that Bob is a great guy to deal with and the little monitors that I got off him are top notch! Couldn't be happier!

Awesome thread and by the looks of it your breeding some awesome reps. Well at least from the look of Sax's Tristis. Looks good

Great thread Bob!

Let's see more pic's of your other enclosures please, this is the type of great info that's more needed on this site.

Thumbs up!

Great thread Bob! Awesome to see your setups.
Do you ever have any problems with the inhabitants climbing onto the lights?

Terrific, Bob, and so good of you to give ur time to explain it all to us.....is Selley.s Kwik Grip Gel still the best glue to glue the fly-screen to the plastic box ?

I usually just melt the flyscreen onto the plastic using a soldering iron

I usually just melt the flyscreen onto the plastic using a soldering iron

GILLSY!!!!!!!!!!! ! thx 4 ur suggestion. appreciated.. have heard of this. will investigate further....the glue is terrific. one of those qasi-magic-glues, but oh! sooo difficult to apply.. in the meantime, if anyone knows of a simpler glue ????????????????

I use clear liquid nails. I run a bead all the way around the edge then smoosh the flyscreen onto it with my finger. It's a little messy but I get a really good strong seal the whole way around. You could use a scrap bit of something (wood, cardboard, plastic etc) to do the smooshing as well if you don't want to get it on your fingers

Your both complicating it too much.
Just use the melted plastic from the soldering iron.
It will hold like crazy once it solidifies.

Yeah I didn't think of doing it that way but the glue method didn't take much effort

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back