my stimsons hatchie really nippy?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

antho87

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hi guys i bought a stimmy from a pet store a few days ago it seems really edgy first night we had him he was a treat to handle now just looks edgy like his going to buite then he does?? as its my first snake im still a lil bit scared round him lmao!! he hasnt bitten me only my misso.. should i just pic him up and let him bit me? i need handle tips and all tht. plz help
cheers :)196503_163799860339969_100001298697547_309353_3524458_n.jpg

Let them settle in for 2 weeks without handling.

Ben

My little stimmi has good days and very bad days behaviour wise, ive never had it sexed but im guessing its female..

Let them settle in for 2 weeks without handling.

Eating is a good sign. How long did you have him out for handling the first night? Was that before or after his meal? What size enclosure do you have him in?

Maybe start the handling slowly, like a couple of minutes each day, and gradually increase the times. I've read somewhere that hatchies should be handled no more than 15 minutes each day, but I'm not sure if this is an accepted rule of thumb or not.

In any case I'd leave him alone for a couple of weeks. Your snake is probably a bit freaked out by the change in scenery and smells. Keep carrying out basic husbandry - checking temps, changing water, maybe even feeding - but strictly no handling during this time. Block off his view of passing people if there's a lot of activity going on around his enclosure.

Some stimmies can be snappy as hatchlings but they do settle down. Before you know it, you'll be wanting more snakes. That's certainly what happened with me! :D

haha you have all that ink and you are "a lil bit scared",that'll do me lol

IMG_0908.jpghers some more pics ppl! i think i will leave him coverd for a few weeks without handling, took him out the night i got him for about 5 min then took him out again thats when he snapped my gf?!
IMG_0888.jpgIMG_0906.jpg

haha you have all that ink and you are "a lil bit scared",that'll do me lol

hahahahaha yea i know!!!

Mate, think about the size of that little fella in comparison to yourself.... When they are that small they are prey of just about anything and everything around them, give him some time to settle and don't stress. A tattoo would hurt alot more than a bite from that! haha. Good luck with him.

With all new smells etc around, he will be a little unsettled for a while. As others have said, let him settle in for a week with NO handling. After that, if he is still eating ok just let him bite, you wont feel a thing. In time he will learn that your not a threat and will stop bitting.

That tattoo would have hurt 1 million times worse ;) .... let it settle in for while till its feeding well for you then just jump in and pick it up.

Judging by the looks of it , it could eat a little bigger than pinkies or maybe 2 at a time , the bite may have been a hungry bite .

Eating is a good sign. How long did you have him out for handling the first night? Was that before or after his meal? What size enclosure do you have him in?

Maybe start the handling slowly, like a couple of minutes each day, and gradually increase the times. I've read somewhere that hatchies should be handled no more than 15 minutes each day, but I'm not sure if this is an accepted rule of thumb or not.

In any case I'd leave him alone for a couple of weeks. Your snake is probably a bit freaked out by the change in scenery and smells. Keep carrying out basic husbandry - checking temps, changing water, maybe even feeding - but strictly no handling during this time. Block off his view of passing people if there's a lot of activity going on around his enclosure.

Some stimmies can be snappy as hatchlings but they do settle down. Before you know it, you'll be wanting more snakes. That's certainly what happened with me! :D

I agree 100%.

Let it bite you. You will soon discover it is a wuss! There bites don't hurt at all. The worst thiing about the bite is the strike and after a couple bites you will laugh at it whenever it bites coz its all macho and it doesn't hurt at all.

Will

Should I try feed him tonight as I only fed him 1 on friday might he be hungry still??

I will try tonight!!

Ok so he ate 2 pinkies today! But still trying to strike at us! He's back in the tank everytime I pull the sheet up on the tank he backs up like his going to bite! Am I doing something wrong I just want the best for him!!

does every reckon this is a stimsons???? i seen a few spotted lookin fellas like this one and just need a confirm as the pet store said it was a stimmie but u never know help please?????

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back