Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No these are just animals that would sell overseas, BHP's, Monitors (3/4 different types,) Woma's, Few different morelia. All the wanted stuff overseas.
i don't know what sort of monitors you saw but most aussie monitors, womas, most morelia, are cheaper os, and bhp's wouldn't be worth freighting. i thought it was only customs and NPWS that believed the rubbish prices paid os.

another point to note is that os breeders who do have expensive critters don't want the floodgates open for imported stuff. there was never the market for aussie cockatoos and galahs as stated, wc birds would have sold for $10ea, not the $6K ea often quoted. captive bred galahs currently sell for about $US500, how could you breed them in australia and sell them for a profit? how could you sell wc for more than a few dollars each? those americans who were breeding sulphur-crested would
have lobbied harder than australian customs to prevent their own business suffering.

From what I heard Red Tailed Black Cockatoo breeders are rare outside of Australia and fetch a load of money.

From what I heard Red Tailed Black Cockatoo breeders are rare outside of Australia and fetch a load of money.

heard from customs? there are a 100 times + as many breeders of RT black cockies overseas than in australia. poor example. they fetch about 4K per pair, not worth exporting them. keeping birds in general is a dying industry, worldwide. there is far more interest in herps.

Americans are not the only group of reptile keepers who like keeping Australian reptiles. There are a lot of reptile keepers in other countries that want Australian reptiles. I believe they would also like to import fresh bloodlines and more specific localities. Why did you bring birds into the mix? This thread is about reptiles. Shipping reptiles has gotten way better over the last few decades. Shipping isn't as stressful to reptiles as it is to many other animals. Speaking from experience, IATA has done a very good job of enforcing their rules and regulations for humane shipping. I haven't done much research about Australia's economy. I'm just going by hearsay from someone that lives there. I don't know what you mean by "the other country gets all the US imposed restrictions". Not one person here knows everything or sees the whole big picture from every point of view. Every one here has opinions and I respect that. Just don't accept your opinion or mine, as fact. Maybe you are right about never allowing legal export of reptiles. The rest of the world will just keep poaching your native reptiles, smuggling them, selling them on the black market, and continue breeding them all over the world.

On the smuggling issue; an old dull joke comes to mind.

What happens when a new reptile species is discovered or bred?
Two Germans buy plane tickets.

Smuggling fauna is a trade that has been going on since mankind first started keeping exotic or wild animals as pets. Regardless of weather or not export is legalised there will always be a demand for the next unique species that people are prepared to pay top dollar for. The environmental implications for the introduced or the native populations is dependent on so many variables that it impossible to predict..

LOL I like that joke and there is some truth behind it. As long as there is a demand for rare reptiles, there will be smugglers to supply them.

I heard it from an American breeder.........

and if that were the case then why is Peter McGrath pushing for exporting of Red Tailed Black Cockatoos to be legally exported? Bird Times Magazine Red-Tailed Black Cockatoo Profile

dannii, you were six when that was written. peter has several hundred rtbc and the only reason he has them was the business was set up to export them. then his senator mate knocked himself before sorting it for him. now he's stuck with them and can't sell them in australia because there is no market for them here. he's now only trying to recoup something, not 'loads of money', and get rid of the birds he has.

what species of herps do you think are 20 times cheaper here than in the US. apart from perenties, lacies, shinglebacks and a few elapids, most sp are cheaper over there. you see, because they have such a range of herps which are cheap, they think $1K for N.vertebralis or even $600 for N.deleani is expensive, where here we would pay 10 times that just to have them. it is a fantasy to think there is so much money to be made os from breeding our herps.

Ok, here are just a few elapids that are cheaper in Australia at all. I'd say about 95% aren't available in the USA.

Acanthophis antarcticus
Acanthophis praelongus
Acanthophis pyrrhus
Austrelaps labialis
Austrelaps ramsayi
Austrelaps superbus
Cacophis churchilli
Cacophis harriettae
Cacophis krefftii
Cacophis squamulosus
Demansia atra
Demansia calodera
Demansia olivacea
Demansia papuensis
Demansia psammmophis
Demansia reticulata
Demansia simplex
Demansia torquata
Denisonia devisii
Denisonia maculata
Drysdalia (Elapognaphus) coronata
Drysdalia (Elapognaphus) coronoides
Drysdalia (Elapognaphus) mastersi
Drysdalia (Elapognaphus) rhodogaster
Echiopsis atriceps
Echiopsis curta
Elapognathus minor
Furina diadema
Furina ornata
Glyphodon barnardi
Glyphodon dunmalli
Glyphodon tristis
Hemiaspis damelii
Hemiaspis signata
Hoplocephala bitorquata
Hoplocephala bungaroides
Hoplocephala stephensi
Notechis ater ater
Notechis ater humphreysi
Notechis ater niger
Notechis ater serventyi
Notechis scutatus occidentalis
Notechis scutatus scutatus
Oxyuranus microlepidotus
Oxyuranus scutellatus
Oxyuranus temporalis
Pseudechis australis
Pseudechis butleri
Pseudechis colletti
Pseudechis guttatus
Pseudechis pailsei
Pseudechis porphyriacus
Pseudonaja affinis
Pseudonaja guttata
Pseudonaja inframacula
Pseudonaja ingrami
Pseudonaja modesta
Pseudonaja nuchalis
Pseudonaja textilis
Rhinoplocephalus bicolor
Rhinoplocephalus (Cryptophis) boschmai
Rhinoplocephalus (Cryptophis) nigrescens
Rhinoplocephalus (Cryptophis)nigrostriatus
Rhinoplocephalus nullabor
Rhinoplocephalus (Cryptophis) pallidiceps
Simoselaps anomalus
Simoselaps approximans
Simoselaps australis
Simoselaps bertholdi
Simoselaps bimaculata
Simoselaps calonotus
Simoselaps fasciolata
Simoselaps incinctus
Simoselaps littoralis
Simoselaps minima
Simoselaps semifasciata
Simoselaps roperi
Simoselaps semifasciatus
Simoselaps warro
Simoselaps woodjonesii
Suta (Denisonia) fasciata
Suta (Rhinoplocephalus) flagellum
Suta (Rhinoplocephalus) gouldii
Suta (Rhinoplocephalus) monachus
Suta (Rhinoplocephalus) nigriceps
Suta (Denisonia) ordensis
Suta (Rhinoplocephalus) punctata
Suta (Rhinoplocephalus) spectabilis
Suta (Rhinoplocephalus) dwyeri
Suta (Denisonia) suta
Tropidechis carinatus
Vermicella annulata
Vermicella multifasciata

dannii, you were six when that was written. peter has several hundred rtbc and the only reason he has them was the business was set up to export them. then his senator mate knocked himself before sorting it for him. now he's stuck with them and can't sell them in australia because there is no market for them here. he's now only trying to recoup something, not 'loads of money', and get rid of the birds he has.

what species of herps do you think are 20 times cheaper here than in the US. apart from perenties, lacies, shinglebacks and a few elapids, most sp are cheaper over there. you see, because they have such a range of herps which are cheap, they think $1K for N.vertebralis or even $600 for N.deleani is expensive, where here we would pay 10 times that just to have them. it is a fantasy to think there is so much money to be made os from breeding our herps.

I wasn't talking about breeding our herps being worth anything this was on the issue of smuggling. And as you said perenties, lacies, shinglebacks and a few elapids are worth more over there and I bet you I could find 10 stumpies in my backyard one plane trip later and say I got 10K (Which was quoted as the price) each then I would get 100,000 from one trip. And the thing is I don't require any proof that I purchased them because in South Australia Stumpies are on the exempt list. I could start keeping them in plastic tubs with no heat or water and every 3 months or so smuggle 10 or so over I would be rich (I would never do it but it wouldn't be to hard). Animal smuggling is getting easier because the dogs don't sniff your person they sniff your bags animals aren't metal so if they are on you there is no detection. All you have to do is avoid a pat down.

Apart from the cane toad of course

you may be right there but the cane toad was not introduced as a PET...
i dont see many people letting loose reptile they have spent thousands on from europe or usa, when they can make money selling them here anyway

My remark wasn't about pet or no pet, I just pointed out that cane toad is not a reptile. Bit picky, I know, don't hold it against me. :D

Dannyboi - I hope you're not talking from experience...

I don't have a lot of information - but I am sure there's some truth in the saying - for every one that gets caught.... How many get through?

But... On saying that, the people getting caught aren't stupid. So the chances are you might get away with it once... But it's only a matter of time before you got caught. And if you're able to get $10k for just one stumpy (which I doubt) and you did manage to get 10 through - you'd better make sure you're only sending males... Because you'd cut off your nose to spite your face if you sent breeding pairs....

But let's say for example you got your $1,000,000 from exporting 100 stumpies (which I am sure would be possible in the hands of some idiots in the world) then would you stop?

Now... When I entered Cairns from NZ (a country not known to smuggle stuff into Aus - though a few forest gex would have made me rich too) a young, well dressed, respectable Asian man was stopped by a beagle... We watched very very closely... Did he have drugs on him? What about smuggled bird eggs from rare NZ parrots? What did he have?

A half eaten sanga from the plane... That's all he had and the dogs got him just like that.

Did he get a fine? I don't know - but it is an instant $200 fine.

He didn't get through with his lettuce and tomato sanga - what's the chances of you getting through with 10 stumpies stuffed down ya jocks?

Although my post is off the topic (slightly) and for that I do apologise - I don't think I can say anymore to this thread that would be helpful - other than, exporting reptiles from Australia is an idea that should not be looked into any further - and the talk of over-populations is ridiculous - so much so that I am not lowering myself to enter into the conversation that because there's large amounts of x that we should export them to y!

you may be right there but the cane toad was not introduced as a PET...

Yes, I realise it wasn't released as a species kept in captivity as a pet. My original comment was a generalisation about exotic herpetofauna being established in the wild with an impact on native species, in response to a previous post.

I will endeavour to be more specific in future posts to avoid such ambiguity.

Last edited:
For those that think there isn't a current demand for our reptiles from many different countrys around the world haven't seen the regular e-mails I get from overseas buyers. This is the standard reply I sent back.

Hi There
The live export of native fauna from Australia can not be legally done because of a ban on this under the Conservation and Environment Biodiversity act 1999.
It is a federal act, and unfortunately highlights how behind Australia is compared to other countries to take advantage of a sustainable natural resource.
Sorry I couldn’t help you.

Cheers Dave

Behind the times in my opinion.
From faded memory I think the only state in Australia against native wildlife export back then was South Australia?
I actually have a copy of the senate report here, I fully recommend the read for those interested.

But WA has even stricter internal regulations - far worse than any other state - how is it you're not complaining about that one first?

I think there's something to be said for endemic creatures not being exploited to the world.

If it's just a financial thing - then export live sheep, cattle, horses etc - there's huge money in that (in fact in the several hundreds of millions of dollars per year).

I don't have a real 'say' on the matter because it doesn't affect me... I just didn't like some of the reasoning behind this threads motives - they were unjustified and unreasonable.

My real reply was to Dannyboi re the illegal export (smuggling) of reptiles - but I needed to stay on topic...

I personally think Australia and NZ lead the way in border control - and it shoudl stay that way (both ways, in and out).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back