Brand New Jungle and Brand New Member!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeNedra

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!
I'm so relieved to have found such a great Australian site and forum after so much random and conflicted internet-trawling! :?
So... my partner and I have just brought home our first baby girl together - a lovely yearling B&G Jungle, Maaz (meaning 'great enjoyment') :D. She is just gorgeous! Beautiful colours and temperament (she's quite happy to snuggle inside my shirt while I do the housework, and she tolerates my 3 1/2 yr old patting her just fine, aww). She is also feeding well on weaner mice.
We are just a little concerned about the temp in her tank though.
We live in Adelaide, and last night before we went to bed at around 11pm the temp in her tank was about 20C :shock: (at which point we turned on the bedroom heater). During the day the temp climbs to just over 30C under a 60W/240V Purple Night bulb. This bulb was reccommended to us by another hobbyist/obsessionist who has kept Jungles for years. It is the same bulb he uses in his tanks, and he lives in the Adelaide Hills - where it gets even colder than in my house!
We did not use a heat-mat in our setup, as we figured Maaz would just climb up under the lamp to bask as required, but now we are wondering if maybe we should purchase one for night-use, even if it's just for 50% of the tank? Maybe we even need a stronger bulb for during the winter days to get the tank up to 33-35C?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys!

- Bronny

Well first off, CONGRATS and welcome to the site and to snakes :) Good you got your first (i say first because its so addictive and soon you may have a whole herp room) jungle and it has a good temper :) mine bite crazy lol. hope the sites works wonders. Secondly, unfortunitly i am not much help on the temps and sure with 20mins you will have got several tips for it. I just wanted to say congrats/

Congrats!
My first snake is a Jungle too (which doesnt live up to its reputation of being bitey!)... I was cheering when I found this site. Its much better to search threads on here to find your answer, than to go into a reptile shop and ask them. Because while they can answer your questions, they still try and flog off a whole heap of useless junk to you too.
For the temp issues, I couldnt really offer too much help because Im not that experienced, and my baby is still in a click-clack, but maybe put a heat mat in so it does have a warm hide to curl into if it is feeling the cold?
Enjoy this site - its addictive!
Gem

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! And I so agree, both about the forthcoming 'herp room' and the dodgy pet stores... can you believe they tried to flog me $4 per mouse? Geez... anyway I'm sure I'll have a great time exploring the site, thanks again! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back