lighting over winter help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Syn2554

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm in Ipswich, QLD and I have a 2yr old Coastal. He is happy in his enclosure and has been for three months or so, but It's pretty hot in my room most of the time and I want to cool him over winter. Problem is, every time my thermostat switches his light on, it switches it off ten minutes later and Sorin is left in darkness. It's just too hot to have a light in there. It's only 40W! how can I keep it illuminated and not let it get too hot? :rolleyes:

You could change to a compact fluoro, 5W or so. Also if you aren't planning to breed him the cooling isn't necessary. You could just plug a compact fluoro in directly to a 24 hr timer.....

The enclosure can only be as cold as your room to, so no heating for you!!

Dimming thermostat - instead of on/off switching to maintain temperature, the thermostat changes the amount of power the bulb is receiving and the light stays on. Some of them will start to lower the power when the temp is approaching the desired level, so you don't get a massive overshoot.

Can you put the enclosure near a window or doorway so he can natural light but no sun ?

what is/ where do I get an LED light? I'll need a new fitting I think because I want him to have one for heating and one for light. The heat one will switch on and off no doubt, but I want him to have a constant photoperiod. It seems like a fairer way to go on him.
BTW, how much would a dimming thermostat be??

what is/ where do I get an LED light? I'll need a new fitting I think because I want him to have one for heating and one for light. The heat one will switch on and off no doubt, but I want him to have a constant photoperiod. It seems like a fairer way to go on him.
BTW, how much would a dimming thermostat be??

Depends - I'm looking at a couple for the enclosure I'm building and they can be anything from $90-$200. I saw some habistats on ebay that are shipped from the UK at an ok price, but that LED idea mentioned above sounds pretty good - a strip of them on ebay costs next to nothing!

I'm running a 24w compact fluorescent light in my Stimson Python enclosure and it works well and has minimum heat output.
Seeing as though it is cooling, I may switch it to something else that has a bit of heat output. The low wattage CFL doesn't stop
my Stimson python from climbing up and wrapping around the light cage, though.

Hmmm. Yeah, I'll have to save up for a dimming thermostat... lol. The LED idea does sound good, but I still need a new fitting. Can you get them from just a local hardware store?

Well yes, SYNeR, but you're in Newcastle. I'm in Ipswich and it doesn't get that cold here haha. It won't get too cold for him to have absolutely no heating until the dead of winter, and even then, it will only have to be a very small wattage.

Last edited:
At the moment, I have the 24w compact fluoro, and I'm only running a heat mat underneath a tile on a thermostat. Thinking I may have to do something similar.. I'd much prefer an overhead heat source. Rather than congest the enclosure further with another light bulb + light cage, I may end up going for a fluoro or LED for lighting, and put something heat-emitting (ceramic) in the current light fitting / cage.

Hmmm. Yeah, I'll have to save up for a dimming thermostat... lol. The LED idea does sound good, but I still need a new fitting. Can you get them from just a local hardware store?

Well yes, SYNeR, but you're in Newcastle. I'm in Ipswich and it doesn't get that cold here haha. It won't get too cold for him to have absolutely no heating until the dead of winter, and even then, it will only have to be a very small wattage.

can get it all from The Herp Shop - Australia if you get stuck i live in brassall and could help if you like LED is from bunnings for 20-150

Last edited:
Cos they're meant to be cooled.
It's a snake, not an ornament. I believe that his photoperiod is important.
I think that was a little rude. Unless you plan on breeding it there is no absolute NEED to do it. If you want to do it to try and create a more natural environment that is fine too but unnecessary. I think that's all Gillsy was trying to get at

LED Lighting

Hey, LEDs would be a great idea but make sure you're not settling for low quality LEDs. The whole point of LED are that they are cool and long lasting, this wont be the case with low quality LEDs. If you're looking for inexpensive but high quality LEDs check out ANL Lighting
they have a whole heap of them in different watts, colors and styles. Hope that's helped!

LED would be a great option if you were building an enclosure, but... if you already have a light fitting and cage in the enclosure why not just put a low energy fluoro in it? It will cost $7 at the most. The LED should be fitted by a qualified electrician also, unless you are talking LED bulb (which fit into standard light fittings).

I say save the LED for your next enclosure!

Hey, LEDs would be a great idea but make sure you're not settling for low quality LEDs. The whole point of LED are that they are cool and long lasting, this wont be the case with low quality LEDs. If you're looking for inexpensive but high quality LEDs check out ANL Lighting
they have a whole heap of them in different watts, colors and styles. Hope that's helped!
Thanks It does haha.:)

I think that was a little rude. Unless you plan on breeding it there is no absolute NEED to do it. If you want to do it to try and create a more natural environment that is fine too but unnecessary. I think that's all Gillsy was trying to get at

okay okay. sorry. thanks saximus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back