Unusual relocation!

• Thread starter imported_Varanus
  • Start date
Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

imported_Varanus

Hi All,

I have just recieved a Carpet Python into care, a very unusual find for our region (New England). I've found Diamond Pythons on the "Eastern Fall" (40K east), but never in our area. My guess is an escaped pet, my dilemma is that Nat Parks have told me the only options for this beautiful, calm snake are release or euthing:(!! I have a feeling that release wont end to well for this fine fella. I've left an add down the local petshop and wont release him until I see an appropriate permit.

Certainly is a bit far south for a coastal, looks very healthy in the pics, hope you find the owner if there is one out there for it.

I have seen carpet pythons (both alive and dead) that look very similar to that around the Armidale area aswell as ones that start to look a bit more 'diamond-ish' around Walcha. I know it's a lot further east but I have seen carpets around Ebor/Point Lookout area that just resemble your typical 'Coffs Harbour' coastal.

Cheers banjo, it's certainly in good nic, not a mark on it, which makes me think escaped captive. Also, not defensive at all, every other wild carpet I've ever handled has had a go withion the first 10 mins.

Thanks for the input Matt, I had no idea they were found close to Armidale, so there's still a possibility it could be a wild animal. The closest I've ever come are what look like Port Mac's at Wollomombi Falls (40 K east).

I've actually found that the majority of wild carpets are actually very placid, from what I have seen juveniles are fairly snappy, ones around the size of the one you have are typically calm, and the larger individuals I've come across tend to have attitude again. I've seen a fair few aswell that dont have a single mark on them even up around the 2m mark.
The colouration of carpets in certain areas is very interesting, ive come across carpets between Ebor and Dorrigo that look like your typical coastal and others that almost resemble diamonds.
Who knows if what you have is wild or captive, good luck with it though.

Just a few feeding pics from today, he took the food as soon as offered, very calmly with no constriction applied!

I would suggest maybe taking the pictures down and advertising for a lost python instead (not stating the specific area, either). That way the owner can provide details as proof it's theres. If, of course, you haven't decided what to do with it yet =)

Last edited:
Guzzo, gone in 5:)!
Notechis, I spoke to our local pet shop owner who knows most, if not all, the snakey people in town, so am awaiting a missing pythons report rather than advertising. I'm only able to release if a) they've lost a python recently and b) they have an appropriate licence. Should be fool-proof:)! Failing any reply, it's release, back to within 2k of where it was found (which, unfortunately includes most of the CBD) or euthing:(. I'm hoping our local WIRES group can come up with a more suitable alternative, however.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's hope so! I was just thinking that an ad on a reptile forum may gain more exposure, just in case the snake came from outside your area =)

Pardon my ignorance but is that Western Sydney area?
As someone on here had a 12ft carpet stolen from round there.

Although on second thought that doesn't look that long.

I have caught heaps of carpets around the macksville area that look similar. Found a large on that looked almost identical out past Thumb Creek. There seems to be a massive variation in that area.

Why euthanase, i have many carpets caught in the Sydney area that have been escaped pets. They are handed into a herp society and distrbutred out through them. This is legal by Nat Parks, and is what all the wildlife carer organisations do.

Why euthanase, i have many carpets caught in the Sydney area that have been escaped pets. They are handed into a herp society and distrbutred out through them. This is legal by Nat Parks, and is what all the wildlife carer organisations do.
Not in this area, it is very uncommon for carer groups to be able to distribute animals in any other manner than IV has outlined.

Yeah I don't understand this either, Iv seen heaps of animals that cant be released for whatever reason homed with licensed keepers

If the species is endangered I am fairly certain they are not euthed but placed with institutions but not often with private collectors. I guess this takes the temptation away for the odd dodgy reptile re locator or wildlife carer.

Not in this area, it is very uncommon for carer groups to be able to distribute animals in any other manner than IV has outlined.

I was hoping you might reply Grizz:)! My local branch, NTWC, a WIRES "off shoot" are a little unclear when it comes to this case. As long as records have been kept, we've never had a Carpet Python in care before, let alone a possible escaped pet. Is there any chance the animal could be kept on permit for educational use by WIRES or by someone like yourself who run snake handling courses?

To be fair, as far as Nat Parks are concerned, I think euthing would be the very last resort; I've found our local branch to be very helpfull in the past in securing good outcomes (we're all human, afterall:))!

Last edited by a moderator:
If there is strong evidence that the animal is an escaped pet (e.g. it was found well outside of its natural range), the rescuer must make reasonable efforts to locate the owner or, failing that, notify the local PWG Area office so that a ballot of suitably licensed persons can be organised to take possession of the animal.

DECCW | Rehabilitation of protected fauna policy 2010

Many thanks DEC, much appreciated:)! I'm hopeful that the original owner may come forward, failing that I will notify my local PWG office and make mention of a ballot. Beautiful animal, someone's a lucky bugger:)!!

wow... not the usual DEC post advertising a ballot, does this mean you'll be joining in more forum discussion DEC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back