How long without food?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Emilie

Reaction score
How long can a hatchling(10 weeks) go without food?

The longest I've had has been just under 4 months so I wouldn't be too worried just yet. It's when they get lethargic and their skin looks like it's hanging off them that you start to worry

The longest I've had has been just under 4 months so I wouldn't be too worried just yet. It's when they get lethargic and their skin looks like it's hanging off them that you start to worry

How can you tell if a python is lethargic? They barely move.

12 Months, a rescued carpet. Wouldn't eat it was about 6 foot long and would not eat anything I tried it on mice, rats, quails chickens, then all of a sudden I had one rat pup left that the tree snake didn't eat so I tried the carpet, and it took it with the force of a 12ft burmese.

From that moment it didn't refuse any feeds.

Lol, when they strike it can be slow and seem off balanced, and if you pick it up they are slow to move, everything they do seems to be a struggle for them

Lol, when they strike it can be slow and seem off balanced, and if you pick it up they are slow to move, everything they do seems to be a struggle for them

Strange. I am not experienced enough to tell, but my non feeding jungle hatchie had a strike at a rat and missed, getting me. Not sure if she actually missed or wanted to tell me to piss off.

Haha mine get me too sometimes but they at least put effort into it.

Yeah she put effort into it, very quick. I guess she's not lethargic then :)

4 months is a bit extreme for a 10 week old snake. 4 ~ 6 weeks yes but 4 months and you must be doing something wrong.

Strange. I am not experienced enough to tell, but my non feeding jungle hatchie had a strike at a rat and missed, getting me. Not sure if she actually missed or wanted to tell me to piss off.
I've had snakes miss the rat and bite their own tail..

4 months is a bit extreme for a 10 week old snake. 4 ~ 6 weeks yes but 4 months and you must be doing something wrong.

Or doing everything right, and just have a bad feeder.. it happens... a lot
not to mention the obvious impossibility of having a ten week old snake that hasn't eaten for four months (roughly 16 weeks). so I would say the main problem there is maintaining the space-time continuum, not so much the fact that the snake hasn't eaten.

Last edited:
I have 6 other snakes who all feed well. They all have, to my knowledge, their optimum conditions according to species, so what do you recon I am doing wrong? I just wanted to know how long a 10 week old could do without food before I have to try force feeding. But thanks to everyone else who answered

What works for some snakes wont work for others..Some will eat mice,some will eat rats,some will eat ANYTHING put in front of them.Ive got some hatchies and the jungles are eating everytime on rats-mice however the hypo carpet wont eat at all.IMO you just have to try a few different technics and see what does work.Feeding at night is the best time and make sure the food item is warm..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back