Heat mats. Be aware!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snake_Whisperer

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I do not know exactly when this happened, all I know is that at some point, the thermostat failed. Be mindful that even a 12w mat can set thing on fire!

HM1.jpg

HM2.jpg

Eeek :\
This is why on mine I run a dimmer so the heatmat is even lower wattage and takes ages to heat up (but the tile above/below seem to store the heat well).
Although this is a precaution, I'm sure the same thing could still happen..

Not good,

As this would appear not to be a one off, has anyone thought of contacting the supplier and or maker?.

There could be a much bigger issue here.

Steve

MMMMM.its in the shape of a maple leaf [the burn] funny that.....solar 17 [Baden]

Wow, makes me glad all of my heat mats are firmly placed between two tiles. Has anyone ever had something similar happen with heat chords?

MMMMM.its in the shape of a maple leaf [the burn] funny that.....solar 17 [Baden]

Always the comedian! Lol!

Rondo, heat cable works a bit differently to heat mats. Provided they are manufactured correctly with all calculations done right, even at full power, heat cords have a maximum temperature that is well below flash point. Heat mats do not have the same sort of in built, self regulation as heat cable.

Last edited:
S_W would you be kind enough to PM me the brand of heat mat that is, please.
It looks a lot like the one I'm using at the moment.

*Ekkkkk*

Ok thanks Aaron, I'm not as careful with my heat chords but didn't know that they are safer.

The brand I use never get hot enough to do that. Even if they are on 24 hours a day they are still cool enough to comfortable put your hand on. That's crazy SW I hope no one was hurt

OMG!!!thank goodness nothing caught on fire.that is a good thing at least.having so many pwr failures this summer i have had to replace globe after globe.expensive thing to do.same with heatpads.
A mate of mind had one of those self heating basking rocks for her beardie,stupid thing malfunctioned and her poor little dude was down the vets for feet burn.thing just kept heating up.ended my plans to get one.

How long have you had that heat mat? What temperature was the thermostat set at, and how long was it potentially faulty? Also where was the heat mat placed (inside/outside viv; was the viv or another object placed on top of the mat)??
I use the same brand (and others) on timers and not had a problem, but have heard a few scary heat mat fire stories.

Last edited:
Lucky it didn't set an enclosure on fire too Aaron, or worse.

I had a 7w mat start smoking when i first got into herps,and that was just when i was setting up a new enclosure (brand new heat mat with a new working thermostat on it!). i don't care what claim any manufacturer makes i will never use one again.

My reptileone heatmat is pretty good, it only gets to about 35 degrees even without a thermostat.

Interesting, similar thread yesterday... Heat mats, improperly used, are VERY dangerous. If they are sandwiched between solid surfaces, they will overheat and do damage - or burn your house down! It doesn't necessarily relate to thermostat failure either. Most manufacturers suggest leaving an airspace between the bottom of the enclosure and the surface it sits on to allow air circulation so they won't overheat. Put the mat on a table, and the enclosure straight on top, and bingo - instant hot spot.

Heat cords are DEFINITELY the way to go. Wouldn't touch a heat mat these days...

Jamie

Jamie mine is sandwiched between a ceramic tile and an old fridge (converted for an enclosure) and it still doesn't get that hot. Would this be because of the steel fridge transferring the heat away? I'm pretty paranoid after all these stories even though I've never had an issue. I have heat cord but don't have the time (or a router) to set it up in place of the mat right now

Also it's only a 5W mat because it's a small click-clack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back