Heat mats. Be aware!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MMMMM.its in the shape of a maple leaf [the burn] funny that.....solar 17 [Baden]

What The???

Not good Aaron. That's one thing that has always concerned me with heat mats. I try to only use heat cords as I've never had an issue with them (touch wood), although at the end of the day it's still electricity.

I had the same brand heat mat. Had it set up for months and months with no problem and one day it got so hot i could barely touch it. Turned it off and had a look and it was all buckled and burnt brown in places. I was not using a thermostat however just a thermometer in the tub. I threw it straight out

I use the same heatmats for my reps atm, I got the ones with thermostats built in which Im hoping will eleviate that ever happening...lucky for me im at home all the time hey ;)

Last edited:
i had a exo terra heatwave heat mat 20w start to smoke just lucky i was right next to it when it happened.

Yeh, this one was fitted to the underside of a melamine shelf with 16mm airspace beneath it. I had discontinued using mats after the last time this happened so it may have happened at the same time, not too sure. This mat is about 18months old. No injuries with this incident but of course, it could have been much worse.

As has been mentioned, heat cable is a far superior and safer product as even used technically correctly, some heat mats just do not have sufficient self regulation. Even a tiny mat can reach flash point temperatures whereas heat cables, even a 100W model, typically have a max temperature of around 60 degrees. Flash point for timber is approximately 300 degrees celcius. In this instance, I think the plastic sheath on the mat was more likely the problem, I am sure the flash point for it is much lower.

Snake_Whisperer
Out of interest, is the timber product this occured with the MDF or the Chipboard product?
Cheers

wow :/ lucky no one got hurt, i am new to this and i am setting up my enclosure and researching before i get my yearling coastal python, i have used a tub for a enclosure and all i need now is heating, i was going to but a heat mat today but after reading this i am having second thoughts..any tips/ideas for suitable/safe heating in a plastic tub enclosure? any help would be greatly appreciated

Scary....... glad i only use heatcords!

Pleased to hear you had no casualties!

I use the same heatmats for my reps atm, I got the ones with thermostats built in which Im hoping will eleviate that ever happening...lucky for me im at home all the time hey ;)

I think I do, too, a 7-watt mat with the in-built thermostat. I think there's a good chance I'll use heat cord when I set up my snake's adult home. Yeesh.

What brand of heat mat is this as it looks very similar to mine.... PM me if you like....

iv never had that problem. i use 4 heat mats in part of my collection. maybe time to change and not take the risk.

Can someone please name and shame this brand? Looks like it has happened to several people and is a serious accident waiting to happen. I use a heat mat and would like to know what product this is!

I have a couple of heat cords that have been used for a few years, but I still worry a little about them as although I use them correctly, they get seriously hot and wouldn't mindlessly trust them.

I contacted the manufacturer and not wanting to get into a debate as to who is right and who is wrong left it at that.

Bottom line is my best most favourite snake was not burned to death because she just sat up on her perch away from the intense heat.

Luckily I am fairly vigilant and wondered why she didn't sleep in her hide.

I have used the Hagen brand heat mat and heat cord (from the Herp Shop) for years with no problems whatsoever. I found Hagen excellent. The firestarter heat mat is a different brand.

Heat cords for me from now on.

Lesson learned for me ...Always check the heat with your hand and don't be so naive as to trust a thermostat...if it is too hot for your hand it will kill your animal.

Last edited:
Damn, I use heat mats with a thermo run out of a safety switched power board, so hopefully the board will drop out if the thermo fails touch wood.

I'm very concerned now, I use one of the small 7 watt heat mats with an inbuilt thermostat, haven't had any drammas yet, not shore if I want to take a chance after reading this thread. Can you please PM the brand of the failed heat mat.

anything that generates heat by way of a short circuit (more or less correct) such as a heat mat or heat cord or even globes and ceramics has the potential to malfunction. But so can the thermostats that so much faith is placed in. There is NO failsafe electrical way of heating your reptiles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back