just dont understand

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sfearn242

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Having breed snakes and having lots of hatchlings i know that people do things there own way and i can understand that but i get so frustrated when I go into a shop nice and clean. Only to fine the baby hatchlings don’t have water. On questioning been told they don’t need water that they get it out of the pinkie mice that they feed every couple of days. Walking out of the stall i told the person at the desk that this is wrong they do need water to drink and moisture to help them have good sheds. The reply was that she will speak to the manager to give them water. So late that afternoon i went back to check and no water. I rang the manager and told him that they do need water and was told it had been fixed he had put a coke bottle lid filled with water in there cage. Is this not FRUSTRATING

Ignorance is the most dangerous side of the human nature.if we don't understand it.....we fear it.

Get a vet to ring this said shop and speak to the manager directly.Im not a fan of people who dob but this is NOT COOL.If you have to ring your local RSPCA or if there is a reptile rescue around you involve them.You be saving some little lives.

If you want we could go round there and thump em.hahahahaha

Scorps get their water from their food but ask any responsible keeper and they'll tell you to leave water in there just in case they need it.
On a side note I've found very few pet shops that actually look after the pets they sell. I've seen to many clouded fish tanks or ones covered with newspaper to hide the dead fish and empty food or water bowls for dogs and mice, even if snakes were sold at pet shops in nsw I'd still go through a breeder on principle alone

my personal pet peeve, is them putting salt water fish in fresh water...and selling them as such.
and like in your experience; they always think they know better!

Goodluck with them!

if pet shops aren't willing to actually look after their stock properly, why bother.

the shop i bought my spotted from a couple years ago still has the same sub adult for sale (same price and nearly the same size) the tank is constantly covered in crap and small bits of old skin everywhere, the poor bugga. i take a lot of pride in seeing my lil guy pull of a perfect shed. my 2 1/2 yr old boy is probably bigger than the one still in the shop.

it's just such a shame to see..... if i had a spare $400 to spend on an overpriced, ill treated animal i would love to add him to my collection.

my personal pet peeve, is them putting salt water fish in fresh water...and selling them as such.

Goodluck with them!

How long can a salt water fish survive like this? Could they be doing something to make the water brackish?

How long can a salt water fish survive like this? Could they be doing something to make the water brackish?

not very long at all! , salt water fish die very quickly in fresh water and vice versa,
unless that are a brackish species like barra or archer fish, even then if the salinity is too extream one way or the otehr they will go belly up quite quickly

I've seen it happen most frequently with eels, some of which were brackish yeah...just because they're a a tough as guts species generally they do survive a sad amount of time.
even if the fish do die, as long as they're not a $400 species or something, they don't care. just toss it out, blame age, and get more.

They only put a coke bottle lid filled with water in there?! That's useless! Surely it isn't that difficult to find something decent to put water in and give them that.

Unfortunately, if they're having that much difficulty getting it through their heads, you might be better off getting an old container or dish from home & giving it to them? Tell them this is how important it is - that you will GIVE them a water dish to use!! Sucks that you'd have to do that though!

Can you not get the RSPCA in there or the relevant animal abuse authority to give the guy a fine? Also where is this place? If it's local to me I'll do it myself!

Very sad for the animals in a lot of pet shops unfortunately, makes you so mad, and when you try and do something it takes so dam long.

Some breeders = making money and nothing more.If there are puppy farms and the such,horses that get bred every season,sheep,cows,pigs,cats the list goes on,then surely their must be backyarder herp breeders too.it follows logic....thats why sometimes when you ask for the breeders details they act all dodgy.

Goodluck with them!

What examples are you talking about, there are many I'm assuming you mean that can be found in both.

I know a breeder who kept and bred certain gekoes since the 1970's and never ever had a water bowl. Not everything is what it seems. Many experienced breeders put water bowls in once per week. Pythons only drink when the water is fresh. Clearly the more tropical the species the more water is required for correct humidity, not always provided with a water bowl.

On the flip side, too much water can be damaging to many arid species like shinglebacks, which can get severe health implications with a humid environment. So you see the blanket rule of water in enclosures is more complicated than you might think.

Maybe, to stop these problems, ALL owners and workers in pet shops should be forced to do a course in animal care, similar to zoo keepers. In the end, isn't a pet shop just a small zoo that sells animals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back