Gay Discrimination

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I joined this reptile site to stop me spending too much time on "those other sites "............who would ever believe it ?

Quick what's your nic on 'those other sites' lol

Statistics show that rates of suicide, drugabuse and depression are high amongst gay men I made the assumption that there would be a high probability of this amongst these children given they would be subjected to the same prejudices and discrimantions that there parents suffered as well as confusion over their own sexuality, I never said that this is how it would always be but asked the question should we take the risk.

Please show me whereabouts I advocate that victims of abuse and and drug addicted parents would be better of than the children of same sex couples. Don't put words in my mouth (so to speak)

No we have high rates of depression because we believe our friends and family wont accept us.

Would it be descrimination if I asked to open a nightclub where only straight people were allowed? Because to my understanding there are gay only clubs throughout Australia. Would I be descriminating if i opened a primary school only for Australian Children? Because there are schools in my area that only allow children of middle east decent and to my knowledge only teach there ways. How about if i made a retirement viliage for only white people? Because as we speek the aboriginals in my area are building a retirment village where only aboriginals are welcome. Don't get me wrong, I don't care if these things happen but why when the reverse is happening people jump up and down and scream descrimination? I understand descrimination happens but it happens to everyone and if people had better stuff to do with there time we'd all realize the world isn't as bad as we fear. True, some issues do need to be delt with but I don't think it's half as bad as people carry on about. A park opened recently where only midgets could work, it was some theme park filled with hired midgets who chose to work with people like themselves and have a blast along the way, but a group lobeyed against it saying it was descriminating against the midgets, one person I saw complaining on behalf of the midgets was six foot tall, err, hello??? I like the way you made sure you weren't trying to be politically incorrect but doesn't our goverment endorse racism. The few times I've been in trouble with the police they've asked me if i was of aboriginal or non aboriginal decent, is there a right and wrong answere here? Dont we all want to be treated as equals? I hope no one takes anything of what I've said as offencive, I have no intentions of descriminating against anyway. As for gay's, I've met and made friends with a number of both male and female gays over the years, some are still very close friends and never had any drama with that, so long as people respect me and my way of life I'm happy to return to gesture.

Nope straight people are allowed in any gay clubs, they refuse some for our safety. We have gay clubs the same way you have asian orientated clubs, house clubs, strip clubs.

I personally think this should be the case in every household. However said:
We all have prejudices often without realizing.

Maybe my views toward same sex parents would be different if I had grown up with different role models.

@ southside morelia, I know what you mean about preaching controversial topics. I have noticed a big change in attitudes from school teachers/education departments etc on many subjects. i don't agree with much of it but then realized It would do no good to voice this in front of my daughter.

Thanks Mudimans, The only problem I raised was with the parents because thats where the problem stems from. It's up to us to help mould kids attitudes by teaching tolerance and acceptance. I guess you could say that my concern is not with same sex couples ability to parent but more to do with the rest of societies ability to deal with it, the fallout being that children will continue to suffer for these prejudices.
I agree that kids will always find something. I was bullied, I was a bully and I have seen bullying completely destroy lives through suicide and a life imprisonment

@notechistiger, I don't have a problem with minorities wanting a place to find sanctuary either, it's just a damn shame that we make them feel they have to

Quote Gillsy "No we have high rates of depression because we believe our friends and family wont accept us."

I feel a bit odd telling a gay person how he might feel, but aren't we talking about the same thing? The fear that you will not be accepted by family and friends stems from these prejudices.

Last edited:
Thanks Mudimans, The only problem I raised was with the parents because thats where the problem stems from. It's up to us to help mould kids attitudes by teaching tolerance and acceptance. I guess you could say that my concern is not with same sex couples ability to parent but more to do with the rest of societies ability to deal with it, the fallout being that children will continue to suffer for these prejudices.
I agree that kids will always find something. I was bullied, I was a bully and I have seen bullying completely destroy lives through suicide and a life imprisonment

Love this!! That pretty much sums it up right there!!! But instead of not allowing same sex couples to have children-society needs to change!!

The thing I find so amusing is that although abortion has been legalized and normalized for the past 40 years we're still dealing with homophobia. It's very strange really.

had already tried a couple of weeks ago, to see if the name "GILLSY " came up on any of "THOSE OTHER SITES ".... it didn't......sorry not to be as serious as everybody else....b

@Recharge, or anyone else that cares to answer. Does being BI mean you can love both men and women emotionaly or is it purely a physical thing? Obviously for gay people it runs a lot deeper than just physical attraction.

I gather that a lot of gay guys and gals had hetero relationships before they decided to be true with themselves and their sexuality, did any of you love your hetero partners in the same sense as you love your gay partners?

that steve1 varies person to person, some can and some its just sexual attraction, even if one has feelings, one cannot always get out of social and paternal training in social interaction in society.
many a person has married or chosen to be with someone for other reasons than love.

I have loved frieds as strongly as I have partners in the past, it is different, but it can be just as strong, sometimes there is little difference at all.

some say love and friendship are worlds apart, that isn't so for all of us, different people experience such emotional connection in different ways
it depends on MANY factors, both biologically and from how and who you are.

This poll is interesting... 2063 for gay marriage and 11552 against!

that is in no way indicative of anything much, the courtier mail has a track record of not exactly being truthful in news for a start ;)
also, the population of Brisbane alone is over a million, the country 25ish million 15,000 votes is not even a percent.
you cant' exactly take this to a referendum either, it stands too far within basic human rights, and could lead a precedent of scary proportions.

either way, a secular government should have no power to decide who can or cannot get married (within a connecting adult union) even polygamy in my books, if people want to do it, they should be able to at their own risk (except for forced marriage on any religious or cultural grounds)

My reasons are hard to put into words I have touched on them in previous posts but I'll try and elaborate further.

Will you agree that depression, suicide, drug abuse, victimization, harrasment and discrimination are all higher amongst gay people, in particularly men?
yes, but this is a casual relationship, it is not indicative of the wider gay community, it is simply reported on more. you could just as easily parallel strait foot ball night clubs to reflect wider society as a whole, which you can easily see, isn't fair at all.

Now bring a child with no say in how they are bought up into the equation. From experience (I'm a father) I know that at 4and 5yo they are already getting an understanding of what society sees as normal, most have a mum and dad, they regularly see hetero couples on TV and while out shopping, they set up families with dolls and teddys etc etc.
Before they have even walked into a class room they have probably already asked why they don't have either a mum or a dad, The parents even with best intentions on bringing up their child, in a round abouts way (we are talking too 5yos) go's on to explains that although a little bit different from most families we are still normal, which is fine until they go to class and introduce their dads to their friends, who in turn go home and tell their parents that their new class mate has same sex parents, which quite likely results in muttered words in front of that child that would be considered highly offensive to gay people, the child then takes this back to the school yard, tells the other kids what his parents said and the cycle of bullying, confusion, possible drug abuse etc etc begins.
you could easily substitute colour of skin for sexuality in this case, even today, or religious beliefs or a few other things, all of which are combated with education, as it becomes more accepted and de vilified, there are less cases of bullying and other childhood problems, this is one of the most common arguments and also one of the silly, as almost all children are bullied as some point, content doesn't lessen or alter the harm to the child, it's only preconception of adults when the ponder the matter that changes the perceived level of damage.

You can tell me all you like that you will bring up kids in a loving and open minded environment etc,etc but as a parent myself I don't see why you would want to get your child of to that kind of start in life.
discrimination and persecution based on sexuality is wrong, but unfortunately it's a fact of life and a gay couple that brings a child into that environment is going to be a party to that childs suffering.
There are reasons for the high rates of depression/suicide etc among gay men and they're the same reasons that a child is at greater risk of developing these problems if they're subjected to the same treatment

i KNOW i WOULDN'T HAVE LIKED GROWING UP THE SON OF TWO DADS

so are you saying any society group that are vilified or seen in a negative light shouldn't have children lest their children be harassed really, THINK about it, it's the same thing, regardless of reason, it's people who are picked on because they are different or act different or live different, if no one ever had children because of this, we wouldn't even BE a species, we'd have died out long ago.
people have children because they want to share their love and experience with a new generation, to try and shape and change society and continue evolution to some degree (though can and does have as big an impact as generics at this point of evolution).

i KNOW i WOULDN'T HAVE LIKED GROWING UP THE SON OF TWO DADS
you know that as you stand now, if you had grown up with it, you wouldn't even know.
heck, you may just as easily say the opposite depending on your parents.

People that want to look after kids, but know the child would be ridiculed because they are looking after them, should take a step back and think.
so every single parent in the entire world then?
LOL sorry dude, you really didn't think that one through very well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't read the whole thread sorry, was a bit too much bitching going on... But one thing that gets me annoyed is the whole Gay marriage deal. If marriage is for the purpose of having children, and homosexual marriage is not allowed on the basis that a same sex couple can't/won't have children, then why are infertile people allowed to marry? Why are people with no intention of having children allowed to marry? Why are women past the age of menopause allowed to marry? It seems to me that a lot of the discrimination re same sex marriage comes down to Christianity and its bigoted adherents. If 'God' is love, why does Christianity demonstrate so much hatred?
BTW - I personally believe that people get married because they love each other, and sex/gender shouldn't be an issue.

so every single parent in the entire world then?
LOL sorry dude, you really didn't think that one through very well.

How so? Tell me how in a school yard full of children, a kid is going to be picked on because he has a mother AND a father?

Now weigh up the likelyhood that he will be picked on because he's got a dad, and a mummy with a penis.

The same goes for EVERY sort of person. You make out like I'm targeting homosexuals entirely. If someone can't afford a child, don't have the bloody thing... If someone is a drug addict, don't have a damn child... If someone knows that their child will be ridiculed to the point of no return just because of who his parents are, they should seriously reconsider a child.

Didn't read the whole thread sorry, was a bit too much bitching going on... But one thing that gets me annoyed is the whole Gay marriage deal. If marriage is for the purpose of having children, and homosexual marriage is not allowed on the basis that a same sex couple can't/won't have children, then why are infertile people allowed to marry? Why are people with no intention of having children allowed to marry? Why are women past the age of menopause allowed to marry? It seems to me that a lot of the discrimination re same sex marriage comes down to Christianity and its bigoted adherents. If 'God' is love, why does Christianity demonstrate so much hatred?
BTW - I personally believe that people get married because they love each other, and sex/gender shouldn't be an issue.

People get married because they are deluded.

As if a signed document means anything, other than difficulties down the road if it goes bad. It's a waste of money, why can't people just be partners?

i am only 13 and do know some gay people and have worked with gay people i have know problem with them and i do not know why people do

I concur :p

Last edited:
How so? Tell me how in a school yard full of children, a kid is going to be picked on because he has a mother AND a father?
He's referring to the fact that every child is going to be picked on for some reason or another. Parents bring children into the world knowing they're going to be picked on for something, whether it be because they're black, fat, deformed, wearing glasses, or have buck teeth. Should all those parents be condemned for wanting to bring children into a world where they're almost certainly going to be bullied for one reason or another? Of course not. So why should gay people face that challenge? Really, the issues concerning gay couples and gay rights are outdated and wrong. People need to get their heads out of religious fairytales and catch up with the times ;) Alternatively, remove religion from politics. Would save a lot of hassles in the end, I think.

=D

Because parents of children have no control how dog ugly their children may or may not be. Gay people know before they get children that the child will be ridiculed.

Because parents of children have no control how dog ugly their children may or may not be. Gay people know before they get children that the child will be ridiculed.
That's a bad example because people who have children you may consider 'dog ugly' don't see their children as dog ugly because they don't see each other as dog ugly. Other people may perceive them that way, but obviously they don't perceive themselves or each other that way.

You're missing the point. Children are going to get ridiculed regardless. If it's not because the child has gay parents, it'll be because they're fat, or a different colour or for having glasses, etc., etc. Kids are cruel, it happens. It is not a valid reason for gay couples to not have children.

for any reason what so ever that children do so, how is it you don't understand the simplest of human interaction at a young age?

social interaction alone is reason, human hierarchy being experimented with, influence from parents, other children, fear, learning boundaries of allowable interaction and attempting to assert dominance for just a start.

children and adults pick on each other because we are human, you cannot stop it, all you can do is educate and guide when it happens.

Now weigh up the likelyhood that he will be picked on because he's got a dad, and a mummy with a penis.

no more a than if the other kid has different colour hair or a skin deformation, being smaller, being a different colour, being of a different social group or any millions of reasons in a chills mind, even if (more likely than anything else) they are perceived to be loved more in the aggressors mind.

The same goes for EVERY sort of person. You make out like I'm targeting homosexuals entirely. If someone can't afford a child, don't have the bloody thing... If someone is a drug addict, don't have a damn child... If someone knows that their child will be ridiculed to the point of no return just because of who his parents are, they should seriously reconsider a child.

again, this would cover every parent and person on the planet, you simply cannot fathom for what reason your child could interact in a negative way with another (or adult for that matter)
it also goes against the single strongest thing of life it's self, to continue, genetic imperative. true thought almost NEVER comes to the mind when that is in play, we have the ability to choose how life plays out, we could have every single child greater then Einstein, but we don't because we are selfish, because we are driven by genetics over thought (unless we have an overwhelming mental ability).

People get married because they are deluded.

As if a signed document means anything, other than difficulties down the road if it goes bad. It's a waste of money, why can't people just be partners?

I concur :p
people do 99.9% of every thing in life because they are self deluded lol, welcome to being a creature with three separate parts of their selves the ID, the personality and the super personality, and that's not even including genetic drive.

I personalty see marriage is silly in inconsequential, but it's been a part of our society, part of what had bound it for most of the time humans have existed, well outside of the purview of any religion, partnering is a evolutionary trait to help further procreation, not for life mind you, only until the children are self viable, only since religion has formed has life mating come into play.

and procreation has never been solely of the parents alone, it has always been a community endeavour, again, it's only since (organised) religion has this changed.

I got bullied heaps as a kid (well really up until I was 15 or 16) just for being short. I was actually surprised that when I told people I was bi, the bullying, which had been trailing off, ceased completely. Whether it's just that we were all old enough to be mature about it or not, I don't know, but it was interesting that nobody ever gave me crap for it.

Kids will find something to bully about, it used to be because I read books (yeah, weird huh :p)

not weird at all, humans seem to have a lust for hating people for learning or having learned, its some sort of weird tall poppy syndrome.
while we roll around in all our wonderful technology, those who have and will give it to us are feared and hated because they "think they are better then us" (in the minds of the stupid and fearful) it's irony at it's best really.
I really don't understand how or why it works that way.
it's 1% uf humanity that has is at the point we're at, yet "nerds and geeks" are looked down upon, are segregated in schools and society, it's insanity.

Mr. Rider

I made a post, similar to this, directed at Steve. I'm going to do the same to you because i think your thinking about gay families adopting children is a bit mixed up.

Babies that are eligible for adoption have no parents and are usually stuck in orphanages in third world countries. That makes life extremely difficult, these children are destined to not thrive or become functioning members of their society. The best hope they, have for a high quality of life, is to be adopted into families that love them. Regardless the sexual orientation of the parents.

Call it the best of a bad situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back