Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OllyN

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum. I recently got my reptile license, and am quite interested in getting my first python. After a bit of research, I have decided it is probably either a Childrens, Stimsons or Spotted python I want, and personally I am attracted to the Stimsons. Does this sound like a good idea for a first timer? Also, in an effort to save money on the enclosure and achieve exactly what I am after, I have decided to build it myself (having access to a mates cabinet making workshop, with his help). At the moment, I have designed a 900x300x300 enclosure with a hinged hatch on the roof, with 3 sides being plywood and one side being perspex. There will be a sizeable mesh section on the roof (fly screen? or do i need something thicker?) Lastly, what heating requirements will I need? Does this all sound ok? Any help is very much appreciated.
p.s sorry about the long paragraph :p

Im a newbie to so wont offer much advice except..... put the door to access your snake on the side or front, it will make it much easier to remove your snake.

in the DIY section there is a thread with the info to make a CLICK CLACK to hold your hatchling...... much easier and cheaper than a full enclosure to start with.

Stimson's seems to very popular for a first snake

..... put the door to access your snake on the side or front, it will make it much easier to remove your snake.

in the DIY section there is a thread with the info to make a CLICK CLACK to hold your hatchling...... much easier and cheaper than a full enclosure to start with.

For a newbie, not bad :);)

I would second the door advice. Our first enclosure was a top opening one. Pain in the bum! Didn't take long for us to ditch it. It made changing a bulb difficult as well.
If you are getting a hatchling, modify a plastic tub (click-clack) Much easier to keep a hatchy in. Safer, easier to clean, less stressful for the snake.
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/diy-zone-5392/guide-build-click-clack-dial-93266/
That will give you time to think about how you want to make your enclosure.
Mesh in the top may not hold the heat in? Although you are in Bundaberg, so that may not be as much of an issue, but mesh is not something commonly used in python enclosures.
In a full size enclosure you (or a qualified electrician) will need to wire in a heat lamp, and make sure you have a cage around it.

Last edited:
;
For a newbie, not bad :);)

I have been search and reading these threads for months, and picked up lots of hints along the way;) my husband thinks im Obsessed:rolleyes:- hmmm he could be right :lol:

Thanks for your help guys, that looks far easier and more effective than building a full enclosure at present, atleast until i have the know-how to design a good one! How big do you think the snake could be and still live comfortably inside a click-clack such as this?

How big do you think the snake could be and still live comfortably inside a click-clack such as this?

6-8 months, depending on what python you have and its size.
Even then, you may want to just increase the tub size a little and use that for a while before moving it into a full size enclosure.

Thanks! at this point, I think I will be getting a hatchling or a fairly young snake. The help is much appreciated

hey im realtively new as well so i will just say that i recently purchased a stimmy for my daughter and i am so glad i chose it for her first snake, it has an awesome temperment, beautiful snake. They are very easy to look after and i have fallen in love with it myself and want another. I agree also with the door at front or side i have a viv similar in style to what your talking about for my 2yr jungle and it is hard to get him out and clean tank without a bit of a struggle, working on this at the moment.

there is a sticky thread i just read as well, i just bought hatchies and its called how to build a click clack, very detailed and very easy, well worth a look.

have a really good look on the site first about how to build an enclosure....there is a good alternative to heat lamps which blow all the time...using either a habistat or proherp reptiradiator with a shelf....but it would mean rethinking how you want to build your enclosure....i did a few threads on mine including pics of the final result I had built for my jungles...so look up my threads.....I know your stimmy will be snaller so you wont beed such a big enclosure....put your click clack together first you'll have at least until your baby gets to 12 months old before you would need to build your enclosure

I build all my own enclosures,have for a while now.use a click clack like everyone is saying and do some reseach on the design side of things for its next enclosure.because its a real pain in the $%^& when you get it wrong or miss the key points,like ventilation, heating and access trust me i know.

hopefully by the time al our kids are grown we will have built their enclosures.its hard work trying to design the outside,the strengrh,where to put ventalation slots,lights,to bask shelf or not,and where.water bowl size vs floor space.and if you don't have a herp room like i don't you end up with tanks all over the house,which i like anyways.like living art.

Thanks. Just an update, i built myself a click clack. Found some of my old fish tank ornaments and cleaned them out, and are now in my click clack as a hide, with a small slab of shale to bask on and some stuff to climb. Also purchased a thermostat, thermometer and hygrometer and a heat mat for her while she's in the click clack. If all goes to plan, I will be getting her mid-late next week! Cant wait. Will start designing a proper enclosure for her soon hopefully, and move her in there when she grows a bit more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back