Computer brains - I need your help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trouble

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm looking at getting a new laptop soon, as my Toshiba is running
really slow these days (it is close to 6yrs old :rolleyes:)
I was wondering if any of the computer brainiacs on here can give me some ideas on what computer to get.
I use my laptop all the time. Mainly for chatting, watching movies & playing games while in hospital, and editing photos on CS5 ... The graphics will be the main thing I'll be wanting to be good on it, and the processor. Oh and a fare bit of memory too. I don't really like the smaller screens. 15" upwards :p

I have been looking at some new Toshibas, but I'm not sure what I'm looking at tech-wise. I also like the macbooks , but Apples are back-to-front lol.

I don't want to spend too much, nothing over $1,200 ..

Anything I've forgotten, just ask me
:)

Thanks for looking, I hope you guys can help.

Trouble.

I can recommend a Compaq. I purchased mine for around $1,300 about 2 years ago (just before Windows 7 came out, actually) and it still runs quickly, no issues. I run Adobe Audition, Premiere, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Illustrator and Flash on it without any issues. It can also run games smoothly. It has 4GB Ram and a 300GB hard drive. It's also a Pentium Dual Core, which is one of the reasons I picked it in the first place. I'd say that's all you'd really need to look for... But I'm no spec geek, really.

Don't get anything with Vista on it. Ever. Laptops generally have 1-2GB of RAM on it (unless you are paying more money for better ones or get a gaming laptop) and Vista uses about that much just to run, therefore making it very very slow. You can look in catalogues for your preferable specs, but I would not recommend Compaq (which is what mine is- you've seen it). Only due to the fact that the fan is near inaccessible and you don't clean it out unless you take it to a professional and spend 500 bucks for them to pull it apart and do it. The fan on my Compaq was so clogged up that it couldn't move (it's several years old now), and the computer got so hot in just a few seconds that it would overheat and die. I took it to my friend who built my computer and he fixed it for me =/

In terms of fan placement, I really like the Asus laptops. Just look for something without Vista on it and good RAM (preferably 4) xD How much space on the harddrive is not really important. Don't forget that you can buy external harddrives and put stuff on that also =)

Ensure that the video card is OpenGL compatable. Gaming cards should have this, but you should check because CS5 (and CS4) photoshop now utilise OpenGL GPU processing which takes the load off ur CPU and makes for faster operation on some key functions.

just be aware laptops slow down alot quicker than desktops do so no matter what you but its allways going to slow down

Don't get anything with Vista on it. Ever. Laptops generally have 1-2GB of RAM on it (unless you are paying more money for better ones or get a gaming laptop) and Vista uses about that much just to run, therefore making it very very slow. You can look in catalogues for your preferable specs, but I would not recommend Compaq (which is what mine is- you've seen it). Only due to the fact that the fan is near inaccessible and you don't clean it out unless you take it to a professional and spend 500 bucks for them to pull it apart and do it. The fan on my Compaq was so clogged up that it couldn't move (it's several years old now), and the computer got so hot in just a few seconds that it would overheat and die. I took it to my friend who built my computer and he fixed it for me =/

In terms of fan placement, I really like the Asus laptops. Just look for something without Vista on it and good RAM (preferably 4) xD How much space on the harddrive is not really important. Don't forget that you can buy external harddrives and put stuff on that also =)

Vista is now dead, and you would be hard pressed to find one with it on. Most laptops now come with 4GB at a minimum.

My partner just bought a $1400 laptop with 4GB, 650GB HD, i7 chip with 3D video card and glasses for $1400 from Harvey's.

Dell's are fairly good because of the options, and the after sales service you get. But don't get an XPS, i've had two and they constantly have overheating and fan issues.

gillsy said:
Vista is now dead, and you would be hard pressed to find one with it on. Most laptops now come with 4GB at a minimum.

This isn't the case at the shopping centres near where I live =) The majority around here come with W7, but there's still a few with Vista on them (in particular the cheaper ones).

Apples are back-to-front? LMAO
yeah, well that's what I've found anyway. But I rarely get to work with any

Almost identical thread a short while ago:

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/chit-chat-39/computer-whizzez-156111/
Khagan recommended this puppy - and it looks ok too Logical Blue One - Clevo Horize B5130 Notebook

Search through that thread, there's some good ideas there - and good prices too.
Thanks Slim6y :) That notebook looks good. I'll have a look through that thread now.

Ensure that the video card is OpenGL compatable. Gaming cards should have this, but you should check because CS5 (and CS4) photoshop now utilise OpenGL GPU processing which takes the load off ur CPU and makes for faster operation on some key functions.
Virides, how do I make sure that the video card on it is OpenGL compatible??

My partner just bought a $1400 laptop with 4GB, 650GB HD, i7 chip with 3D video card and glasses for $1400 from Harvey's.
Dell's are fairly good because of the options, and the after sales service you get. But don't get an XPS, i've had two and they constantly have overheating and fan issues.
Gillsy - Yeah, I've never been happy with vista, it always seemed to run slowly.

I have found a couple of laptops on eBay... What do you guys think? Which would you go for??
ASUS K52JT Core i7 2.93Ghz 4GB 15" 16" Win7Pro ATi 6370 (eBay item 150586260525 end time 13-Apr-11 09:35:20 AEST) : Computers
ASUS K52F CORE i5 2.93GHz 4GB 15" 16" WIN7 PROFESSIONAL (eBay item 160567898517 end time 13-Apr-11 17:57:35 AEST) : Computers

Toshiba Satellite Pro C650 15.6" DualCore 4GB 500G Win7 (eBay item 160569311595 end time 16-Apr-11 14:09:03 AEST) : Computers

ACER Aspire LAPTOP CORE i5 4GB 500GB 15" 16" HDMI WIN7 (eBay item 160570810691 end time 19-Apr-11 18:50:59 AEST) : Computers

Thanks for the help everyone :D

I've never been a fan of Toshiba and Acer, have owned and use many laptops over the years (mainly Asus and Sony) and will have to say that the Asus was always my number 1 choice.

I'd have to agree with gillsy about most laptops and PCs now being standard with 4GB ram and 500GB hard-drives which, for your requirements will be plenty. Just be sure to find one with a good graphics card + a HD screen so you can enjoy movies in hi-def and can view/edit quality images/videos.

As for the OpenGL graphics card, it will usually say it in the products technical specifications (specs), however if it doesn't, find out what the card in the laptop is called and Google for its specs

I use an ASUS N53Jq

Intel core i7 1.73ghz that boosts up to 3.08 ghz
4gb of ram
640gbb hard drive
blu ray

Good for gaming. Macs are GREAT, I was going to get one instead of this. You can't play many games on them, though, except for the sims.

I have found a couple of laptops on eBay... What do you guys think? Which would you go for??
ASUS K52JT Core i7 2.93Ghz 4GB 15" 16" Win7Pro ATi 6370 (eBay item 150586260525 end time 13-Apr-11 09:35:20 AEST) : Computers

^ Supports OpenGL

ASUS K52F CORE i5 2.93GHz 4GB 15" 16" WIN7 PROFESSIONAL (eBay item 160567898517 end time 13-Apr-11 17:57:35 AEST) : Computers

^ Supports OpenGL

Toshiba Satellite Pro C650 15.6" DualCore 4GB 500G Win7 (eBay item 160569311595 end time 16-Apr-11 14:09:03 AEST) : Computers

^ Supports OpenGL

ACER Aspire LAPTOP CORE i5 4GB 500GB 15" 16" HDMI WIN7 (eBay item 160570810691 end time 19-Apr-11 18:50:59 AEST) : Computers

^ Supports OpenGL

HOWEVER

The latter 3 have integrated graphics. This means the Graphics are done on the motherboard. This is not what you want as it is not dedicated like video cards are.
In this case, the 1st one is your best option from these 4.

99% of the time, a laptop with a big screen and claiming "HD" or "Gaming" will be OpenGL Compatable.

I think the ASUS would be the go. The specs of the acer are good, but acer isn't the best quality in my opinion.

Definitely go with Asus as SamNabs suggested, i wouldn't own another brand of laptop, very reliable, great quality and i just prefer them over any other brand, i know plenty of gamers, Djs etc that wouldn't go with any other brand. there are plenty of decent low priced laptops out there that have great features, i highly doubt you would have any interest in Crysis 2 or dead space, so just pay for what you need. that reminds me the HD laptop displays aren't up to scratch yet imo they will be soon enough.

and apple? we all have choices in life. :D

Last edited:
I use an ASUS N53Jq

Intel core i7 1.73ghz that boosts up to 3.08 ghz
4gb of ram
640gbb hard drive
blu ray

Good for gaming. Macs are GREAT, I was going to get one instead of this. You can't play many games on them, though, except for the sims.

Macs used to be "Great" when they had their own componentry, however these days it is all Intel based. The only thing you are paying for is a different Operating System and an Apple Logo. Macs had their place a few years ago and now they are just very overpriced. You can get away with alot more for alot less with a PC.

Also, you can play any game on a mac as long as you have windows booted (another reason why you wouldn't bother having a mac if it is just like a PC anyways).

I have used Macs also and since I have experience with both platforms, I prefer PC anyday. But it all depends how much you want to pay for a logo ;)

Go Asus or Toshiba both brands are the best behind apple imo.

*cough cough* care to explain why Asus and Toshiba are behind Apple?

I completely agree with what Virides has said above about an Apple computer basically being an Intel computer with an expensive logo... You pay top dollar for a thin white computer/laptop with a logo of a popular fruit (with a bite in it I might add!), when you could spend less money on an Intel based PC/laptop that has a lot more to offer...

So back to the point, I would love to hear why those 2 brands mentioned are behind Apple..? :) Oh and if you are going to bring up the "there's no virus' for Apple computers" point, save it.. I've been using PC's for 10+ years now and have NEVER lost any data or a PC to a virus...

*cough cough* care to explain why Asus and Toshiba are behind Apple?

I completely agree with what Virides has said above about an Apple computer basically being an Intel computer with an expensive logo... You pay top dollar for a thin white computer/laptop with a logo of a popular fruit (with a bite in it I might add!), when you could spend less money on an Intel based PC/laptop that has a lot more to offer...

So back to the point, I would love to hear why those 2 brands mentioned are behind Apple..? :) Oh and if you are going to bring up the "there's no virus' for Apple computers" point, save it.. I've been using PC's for 10+ years now and have NEVER lost any data or a PC to a virus...

a Apple rarely crashes (compared to a Windows PC, a Apple crashes once every 6 months, maybe?)

a Apple works right out of the box

a Apple doesn't have the same driver compatibility of Windows systems

a Apple handle system processes FAR better than Windows

a Apple is easy to learn and it's more user friendly

a Apple doesn't get virus's and malware like PC's

a Apple is far superior with multimedia

etc,etc

Umm, you've just listed what's written on the Apple box, how about you explain your points further, with some comparison examples...

Also noticed you did mention the virus thing, as I said earlier, useless point to argue...

Far superior with multimedia? Maybe right out of the box they are but if you spend the same (or less) amount of money on a PC to customize/set it up for multimedia/design/music etc. which one will really reign supreme mate?

Like I said, some more explanation would suffice...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back