Good herping spots on Gold Coast

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MathewB

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I want to see some reptiles in their native habitat and I have to much spare time for my own good so any recommendations would be nice. As I don't have a car it has to be in riding distance of Paradise Point. I was thinking of Coombabah wetlands as a starting point. Thanks! :)

Dont think to many people will share with you herping spots due to poaching etc, not saying you will/would but people defiently seem to be much more conservative in handing out spots these days.

I was thinking about the bush, then I decided a pet shop would be much easier.

Poaching? You mean like taking/killing animals from the wild? I would never do such a thing but I understand that somepeople do and ruin it for the rest of us.

Go to the closest National Park and go for a walk, there are plenty of places in the Gold Coast to go.

Hi Mathew

as a few members have said, you have to be careful putting these places up on forums. As plenty of people will head there and collect.

The Coombabah wetlands is a good spot to start. Plenty of Beardies, Water Dragons and Carpets and GTS if you look carefully....

if you can get your parents to drive you, do a walk at BINNA BURRA, O'REILLYS or Springbrook. Go farely early as its starting to cool off at night around here. Look along the edges of tree breaks and edges of long grass. Its quite common to see Land Mullets, Red Belly's and TIGERS basking before 8am after a cool night up in the national parks. Also if you look carefully you might see some Angle heads up there on thin verticle perches aswell........

Get out there and have a look around but dont tell to many people what you see and the exact locations..........

Barramundi's place is as good as any to see some wildlife, although the range is a bit small now compared to what he used to keep. Just ride your bike around the Gold Coast until you see a weird looking bloke with a bag on his head and big pumped up gym muscles and your at the right house......................... That is how I found him when I first met him. I heard the clunking of 200 pound weights on his bench press................ :)

But if your wanting a safer experience, try walking through the Coombabah Wetlands like suggested. You will see more smaller skinks and the likes on foot anyway.

Barramundi's place is as good as any to see some wildlife, although the range is a bit small now compared to what he used to keep. Just ride your bike around the Gold Coast until you see a weird looking bloke with a bag on his head and big pumped up gym muscles and your at the right house......................... That is how I found him when I first met him. I heard the clunking of 200 pound weights on his bench press................ :)

But if your wanting a safer experience, try walking through the Coombabah Wetlands like suggested. You will see more smaller skinks and the likes on foot anyway.

LMAO..........Im half the size I use to be, dam stress will do that to you............. anyone looks big next to you pygmy Nth Qlders

Jonno, I am telling you this because you are a good bloke. NEVER take Barramundi on an extended herp trip! The skirt will NOT get out of the car. He just sits in there with the aircon pumping.

Maybe that is why when he takes me herping for a few hours at Springbrook, it is always about 15 bloody degrees bahahha. He cannot handle the heat.

To the young fella that started this thread, you should ask your parents if you can go herping with Barramundi one night. I would make sure you bring your father along though to be safe otherwise he may start bench pressing you!

Jonno, I am telling you this because you are a good bloke. NEVER take Barramundi on an extended herp trip! The skirt will NOT get out of the car. He just sits in there with the aircon pumping.

Maybe that is why when he takes me herping for a few hours at Springbrook, it is always about 15 bloody degrees bahahha. He cannot handle the heat.

To the young fella that started this thread, you should ask your parents if you can go herping with Barramundi one night. I would make sure you bring your father along though to be safe otherwise he may start bench pressing you!

Haha, definitely! Seen him up the mountain on a cool night, window down in his car and no shirt. I'm pretty sure he was on his way to a ballet lesson...

what about up in townsville have only every seen 1 wild snake

Geez you go and have a bourbon and some dinner and your mates slag you off.......tough crowd around here..........off to ballet now.......

Geez you go and have a bourbon and some dinner and your mates slag you off.......tough crowd around here..........off to ballet now.......

Hahah thanks for the replies guys. I didn't know Coombabah wetlands hand that much diversity Barramundi. I don't think so zuesowns and I'm not particulary looking for snakes. Point taken Barramundi and others I won't tell many people....

Haha but I'm not sure how my dad would react to a guy I met on the Internet that doesn't wear a shirt and attends ballet. I'd bring my dad but he doesn't like reptiles at all.

Last edited:
If you do head to Coombabah, don't forget to look up - it has a massive population of Koala's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back