Have you ever felt like you just dodged a bullet?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
when i was 13, my friend and i went to the local skate park with our scooters. we put them down and a little while later saw a woman walking off with her 2 kids and they had our scooters.

we went and confronted her and demanded them back. she said no so i tried to grab mine of the girl and the mom belted me over the head. so we left them and let them go home. we knew where they lived so went and got an adult and went round there.

kids were playing with their new toys on the footpath so i grabbed mine. the kid started screaming, mum comes out, chases me round and round and round the car trying to get me. our adult friend intervened and they had massive fight. we finally escaped and went straight to the police.

turns out after we drove away, the psycho woman went inside her house and stabbed her flatmate heaps of times for not coming out to help her. imagine if she'd grabbed the knife on her way out the first time! she went to jail for a little while i think. at 13, it was bloody scary

This doesn't match some of the stories on here but when I was 17 I got my motorbike Ls. We went go-karting for a friend's birthday and on the way out I dropped the bike on the gravel driveway which caused two issues. The first was that for some reason the bike kept stalling unless I kept the revs up quite high. The second was that dirt got caught in the throttle so it wasn't springing back to it's normal position and kept getting stuck. So these two issues, combined with my inexperience on the road and on a bike, meant that I was concentrating too hard on keeping it from stalling and not on the road. I came up to a corner (going way faster than I would have been if I was concentrating) and went to release the throttle only to have it stick open so I ended up going straight and into a drainage ditch. The bike followed the ditch till the end where it promptly came to a stop. However, I didn't and ended up flying through the air, landed on my butt and rolled under a bush. Luckily all I ended up with was a bruised bum and a written off bike but going back there later I realised that there was a telegraph pole and a brick wall that I could have hit which may not have been so kind to me.

I was at a motocross park a while back and was riding with one of my mates. It is a place you can camp at and you can't ride until a certain hour of the morning. Anyway we got up really early and waited for the time to come when we could ride. It was a really cold foggy morning, so visibility was low on certain parts of the track.

I hit a kicker in 3rd gear pinned but got cross rutted and had to bail. My bike landed on me from about 25 feet in the air. Couldn't walk for quite a while, but later that day I was shredding again.

Moto crashes don't really bother me, and this one doesn't still to this day, but a crash that heavy I was lucky to walk away from it.

Steve and Guzzo- I'd love to have a similar awesome croc story to share, but those giant reptiles scare the crap out of me so i never take any chances around the water up here.

The worst croc story i've got was a recently shot 3.8m jobbie get a bit nervy and wriggly on me when i was pulling it out of the water. I jumped pretty quickly onto the back of my ute when that happened.

Call me silly but I never realised crocs were that sneaky. I always knew they were good but figured that for us "smart" humans it would be easy to spot them in the day time even without paying that much attention. I can't imagine what you'd think in the seconds between seeing that and the thing deciding not to eat you. Like you said Guzzo, we really are useless animals when it comes to physical attributes.

They were around before the dinosaurs, they ate dinosaurs (google supercroc) and they will probably outlast us also. They are superb ambush predators and I am aware that whenever I am near their water I am being watched. After 35+ years up here mostly in remote areas I have had many many close ups with these guys. If you get near a big one your heart races no matter how familiar you are with them.

Well.........I was lucky enough to marry the right girl..............
Some of my mates not so lucky...........
Some have almost died trying to get away from the Ex.........

in high school i had a gun held to my head and the guy pulled the trigger, only to realise he left the safety on. i was stabbed twice in the same school. recently we had someone try to break into our place, i was at home with 2 kids sleeping and the wife was at work, guy attacked me with a knife and i had cuts on my hands, stomach and a deep gash in my arm. when i was a kid i was at surfers paradise and i was stuck for 1.5 hrs while a 3 metre tiger was cirling a couple of us, i was on my boogie board!

in high school i had a gun held to my head and the guy pulled the trigger, only to realise he left the safety on. i was stabbed twice in the same school. recently we had someone try to break into our place, i was at home with 2 kids sleeping and the wife was at work, guy attacked me with a knife and i had cuts on my hands, stomach and a deep gash in my arm.

Exactly why i am getting my daughter out of sydney before she starts school.... OMG...

How thats terrifying hrafna!
That stabbing thing reminded me of a sorta near death experience. When I was 5 my mum was cooking and chopping stuff up with one of those big serrated knives. A spider ran up her leg, she screamed and THREW the knife in the air, I just moved out of the way and it landed on my foot. I got 3 stitches but thats nothing compared to what would've happened if I hadn't moved!
So it wasn't really dodging a bullet, more like trying to dodge a bullet and getting hit in the foot then yelling loads of swear words that my mum was shocked a five year old boy knew :lol:

i went down to a small river near my house with 2 mates (ones a girl and the other acts like a girl ) and we went to a part of the river that not many people go to and i put my bag down ( food and water) and the 3 of us jumped in to the water. after about 2 hours we jumped out to grab some food and water i stuck my hand in and pulld foos and water out then ziped up the bag again. at the end of the day we started walking back up the hill ( ita about 1hr 20min walk to help) i felt somthing movin in my bag so i took it off and opend it up to have a look. i droped the bag and took a few steps back and out came a brown with a rat in its mouth.both my mates racked off very fast and made the long up a steap hill walk in about 15min

the lesson i lernt from this was never stick my hand in a bag but insted always get a mate to do it :D

Had a few very surprised im alive to this day haha, the 2 most unique are probally:
also had numerous car accidents etc

1) - Im sure most of you heard of Black Saturday 2008, i live in Kinglake so i was effected anyway i was living at home with just my mum who was at work and i had a big friday night so i got home and was hangover i was sleeping and i must of heard the phone ring about 16-17 times but i just couldnt be bothered answering this was at like 6pm? then all of a sudden the phone exploded (heard a huge bang) so i got up to see *** was going on and the curtains were open i look out side and the sky is red and the neighbours houses are on fire as wel as all of my fence and the road/grass/trees quickly grabbed a few lizards i could get to and got in my car had to drive down this bush road and trees were falling it felt like it was 70 degrees i was getting radiant burns etc a massive tree was blocking my path i had to reverse and just flaw the car over the tree very surprised i got over it, was pretty sure i was going to die that day. Was a long 8 or 9 hours in a open paddock hoping i wasnt going to die, not something i talk about.

2) when i was about 3-4 i was at my aunt/uncles in queensland and they lived on alot of bush was by a pool my cousin was ment to be supervising me but was busy on the phone to his girlfriend and walked away for 10 or so mins anyway this huge monitor limped over to the edge of the pool and it must of had a broken leg because it was very slow anyway i got out of the pool and dont ask me why but i was a kid i decieded to hug the monitor lol.... obviously wouldnt of died but it could of done ALOT of damage he seemed complacent he just let me touch him and didnt hiss or tailwhip cousin quickly got him away when he returned though lol.

That's crazy man. Did the guy who pulled the gun get arrested?
yeah cops went to his place and grabbed him because he did a runner. the school was getting such a bad rep they tried to keep everything under wraps, cops were still called out just about every second day though! thankfully i got a scholarship to a performing arts school for drama and i did yrs 11 and 12 there, otherwise i would never have hung around to do my hsc!

Had a few very surprised im alive to this day haha, the 2 most unique are probally:

1) - Im sure most of you heard of Black Saturday 2008, i live in Kinglake so i was effected anyway i was living at home with just my mum who was at work and i had a big friday night so i got home and was hangover i was sleeping and i must of heard the phone ring about 16-17 times but i just couldnt be bothered answering this was at like 6pm? then all of a sudden the phone exploded (heard a huge bang) so i got up to see *** was going on and the curtains were open i look out side and the sky is red and the neighbours houses are on fire as wel as all of my fence and the road/grass/trees quickly grabbed a few lizards i could get to and got in my car had to drive down this bush road and trees were falling it felt like it was 70 degrees i was getting radiant burns etc a massive tree was blocking my path i had to reverse and just flaw the car over the tree very surprised i got over it, was pretty sure i was going to die that day. Was a long 8 or 9 hours in a open paddock hoping i wasnt going to die, not something i talk about.

2) when i was about 3-4 i was at my aunt/uncles in queensland and they lived on alot of bush was by a pool my cousin was ment to be supervising me but was busy on the phone to his girlfriend and walked away for 10 or so mins anyway this huge monitor limped over to the edge of the pool and it must of had a broken leg because it was very slow anyway i got out of the pool and dont ask me why but i was a kid i decieded to hug the monitor lol.... obviously wouldnt of died but it could of done ALOT of damage he seemed complacent he just let me touch him and didnt hiss or tailwhip cousin quickly got him away when he returned though lol.

That second one is funny, first one is scary as mate.

hrafna - sounds like an american school haha.

This doesn't match some of the stories on here but when I was 17 I got my motorbike Ls. We went go-karting for a friend's birthday and on the way out I dropped the bike on the gravel driveway which caused two issues. The first was that for some reason the bike kept stalling unless I kept the revs up quite high. The second was that dirt got caught in the throttle so it wasn't springing back to it's normal position and kept getting stuck. So these two issues, combined with my inexperience on the road and on a bike, meant that I was concentrating too hard on keeping it from stalling and not on the road. I came up to a corner (going way faster than I would have been if I was concentrating) and went to release the throttle only to have it stick open so I ended up going straight and into a drainage ditch. The bike followed the ditch till the end where it promptly came to a stop. However, I didn't and ended up flying through the air, landed on my butt and rolled under a bush. Luckily all I ended up with was a bruised bum and a written off bike but going back there later I realised that there was a telegraph pole and a brick wall that I could have hit which may not have been so kind to me.

Hey mate there are more people who meet their maker from motorbike and car crashes than from croc attacks....getting behind the wheel or handlebars is probably the most dangerous thing we do! Qualifies for a bullet dodge to me!!

I know a fellow who was a cop in that area looking for survivors....that was some terrible stuff

Steve and Guzzo- I'd love to have a similar awesome croc story to share, but those giant reptiles scare the crap out of me so i never take any chances around the water up here.

The worst croc story i've got was a recently shot 3.8m jobbie get a bit nervy and wriggly on me when i was pulling it out of the water. I jumped pretty quickly onto the back of my ute when that happened.

Gordo you are probably the most at risk of getting nabbed by a croc out of all of us.....

That would be a parents nightmare.....wow lucky escape.

On another note -

When I get home I will post a pic of my friend I took out fishing in croc waters for the first time. He had his camera out and was snapping pics of crocs. We were in my 12ft tinnie (I called it the Beige Mist..haha always leaked and I would get cracks welded up all the time.....it was a junky boat but we had some adventures for sure....anyway) My friend saw a big croc on the bank and asked me to nose the boat in so he could take a pic......As I was taking a pic of him taking a pic that croc exploded straight at us and belted across the surface before slipping under the boat. Got a pic of it coming straight at us.
View attachment 195272
View attachment 195273

Found the pics......They do not do the situation justice but it was hairy seeing that belting straight at us across the surface only at the last minute to go under the boat....funny thing is my friend froze and did not move the whole time. I am yet to see his picture haha maybe he never got to take it haha.

Last edited:
in high school i had a gun held to my head and the guy pulled the trigger, only to realise he left the safety on. i was stabbed twice in the same school.

Sheesh, hrafna - is that why you took up medieval sword fighting and started wearing armour?

in high school i had a gun held to my head and the guy pulled the trigger, only to realise he left the safety on. i was stabbed twice in the same school. recently we had someone try to break into our place, i was at home with 2 kids sleeping and the wife was at work, guy attacked me with a knife and i had cuts on my hands, stomach and a deep gash in my arm. when i was a kid i was at surfers paradise and i was stuck for 1.5 hrs while a 3 metre tiger was cirling a couple of us, i was on my boogie board!

I missed your post....thats crazy intense stuff....wow...u really dodged a bullet there!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back