Huge rat..... no contest

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

guzzo

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
View attachment 195278View attachment 195277View attachment 195276

Feeding time for my 17 mnth old Darwin male Thomas.....I only had med rats and one huge surplus breeding male. I was not sure how he would go and he seemed a bit unsure at first but he got it down no worries. When they get this age should I keep giving him this size meal every 10 days or start to feed every two weeks?? How often are people feeding there adult Darwins and how much....he is quite a big snake for his age.

Nice size darwin, you grew him quick.
I tend to feed my adults every 10 to 14 days depending on there condition and if i plan to breed them, i tend to eye ball my snakes to maintain there condition and adjust there feeding to suit.
As for what size food whatever i got and as big as they can take.
Bigger food has more bones, meat and goodness in it and as long as they can break it down within a suitable time frame then theres no problem with it.

Nice size darwin, you grew him quick.
I tend to feed my adults every 10 to 14 days depending on there condition and if i plan to breed them, i tend to eye ball my snakes to maintain there condition and adjust there feeding to suit.
As for what size food whatever i got and as big as they can take.
Bigger food has more bones, meat and goodness in it and as long as they can break it down within a suitable time frame then theres no problem with it.

Thanks Bez 84, the temps here in Darwin are great for snakes so he just churns through the food.....only thing I dread is cleaning up the poops.....I love it when he downloads in his water bowl......as sick as that sounds haha

Gosh he's beautiful. For a meal that size (relative to the snake of course) I usually leave my Jungle two or three weeks but it's a bit colder down where I am. I'd still say two weeks wouldn't be a problem but I guess you will just have to gauge whether he is acting hungry sooner than that

Thats a really beautiful Darwin Guzzo! I cant wait for mine to grow. (sorry I have nothing constructive to add to this thread, just like your snake!)

what temps do you have him at? I just recently got some het darwin hatchys from up there.
Awesome little snakes..
I personally hate when they go in the water bowl turns into a putrid soup and smell awful lol.

Gosh he's beautiful. For a meal that size (relative to the snake of course) I usually leave my Jungle two or three weeks but it's a bit colder down where I am. I'd still say two weeks wouldn't be a problem but I guess you will just have to gauge whether he is acting hungry sooner than that

Thanks Sax and JungleG he is my favourite by far...can you tell haha

He's a lovely boy....I reckon that rat will put him off to sleep while he digests and he will have a big grow and may even go into shed.

When my jungles have a big feed like that I leave them for a fortnight between feeds and I find I just watch them to see when they are hunting to know when they are hungry.

what temps do you have him at? I just recently got some het darwin hatchys from up there.
Awesome little snakes..
I personally hate when they go in the water bowl turns into a putrid soup and smell awful lol.

Day time at the moment in the snake room is 33 and at night 27.......when he poops in the water bowl i just carry it outside tip it on the cat, disinfect the bowl and put it back in..............only kidding about the cat bit....

He's a lovely boy....I reckon that rat will put him off to sleep while he digests and he will have a big grow and may even go into shed.

When my jungles have a big feed like that I leave them for a fortnight between feeds and I find I just watch them to see when they are hunting to know when they are hungry.

He had a big rat (but not as big as this one) 10 days ago and he was going crazy hunting around so I fed him .....should keep him quiet for a bit I hope

Beautiful colours!
Do you actually control your temps or leave it to nature?

Hi stevent: )

Love the Rat blood just below the nostril on the last pic. I personally think all darwins look awesome.

Beautiful colours!
Do you actually control your temps or leave it to nature?

Hi stevent: )

No I just leave it to the natural temps until the dry kicks in then I have a low watt bulb in each enclosure I run on a timer at night only as it never heats up the enclosures above 27 at night.

Love the Rat blood just below the nostril on the last pic. I personally think all darwins look awesome.

You have good eyes there......

What a great looking snake - hope my little fella turns out half as good.

I am sure he will....mine was a plain pinky orange worm when i got him.

View attachment 195314 Oh....here is the cat....it is a Fat MANX

Last edited:
No I just leave it to the natural temps until the dry kicks in then I have a low watt bulb in each enclosure I run on a timer at night only as it never heats up the enclosures above 27 at night..

Thats interesting why do you bump the temps in the dry when that's their natural temps?

Thats interesting why do you bump the temps in the dry when that's their natural temps?

Well otherwise it gets to 19 -22 deg at night and I just figure the little bit of heat would help with digestion....not sure if it is needed though as the day tem still gets to at least 28 in their room.

My girl will be 2 this year, I'm feeding her on small rabbits every 10 days, although if she's hungry (i.e. waiting on a branch for food) I feed her more frequently... I've said it before... I love that darwin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back