Have you ever felt like you just dodged a bullet?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sheesh, hrafna - is that why you took up medieval sword fighting and started wearing armour?
not quite, i had an interest in medieval stuff to begin with but i must admit now that i am teaching people, i do teach what to do if someone confronts you with a knife and you can't get away!

View attachment 195272
View attachment 195273

Found the pics......They do not do the situation justice but it was hairy seeing that belting straight at us across the surface only at the last minute to go under the boat....funny thing is my friend froze and did not move the whole time. I am yet to see his picture haha maybe he never got to take it haha.[/QUOTE]

Looks like a Mary River Houseboat hire dinghy on Coroboree eh? A couple of years back we had two big boys smashing eachother in front of the houseboat. They were so enthusistic they crashed into us but didn't let up for a minute. November is always good for territorial disputes!

Some close calls here, especially with crocs and homicidally inclined students (or teachers?). I didn't realise school in some parts of Sydney was that bad.

When I was 20, I went on a solo trip to Indonesia. A week into it I was on the west coast of Java, feeling overwhelmed and wondering what the hell I was doing here. So naturally I went for a walk, hoping to find some peace. I chose a path through the jungle that led to a waterfall.

Soon after I'd reached the waterfall, two young men showed up. They pestered me continuously, asking me if my father or brother was coming. Bloody annoying! Plan scuttled, I gave up and walked back, the bothersome men following.

When I was almost back at the main road, I met an Australian who was about to take the same walk I'd been on. We introduced ourselves – I'll call him Troy for the sake of this story – and had a short conversation.

The two young men stood to the side and waited until Troy left. Moments after he’d gone they closed in on me, one in front, one behind. The one behind put his hands around my neck and started to squeeze.

I automatically went limp, arms dangling down by my sides. But I could still breathe, so I took in as much air as I could and yelled for Troy. Even though the noise sounded pretty weak to me and I was almost certain Troy was already out of earshot, it startled the men, who scampered off towards the road like rabbits.

Released suddenly, I staggered for a moment, shocked and breathless, then bolted in the opposite direction, heading for the waterfall and Troy. I've always been a bit of a runt and athleticism and I usually cannot coordinate with each other, but I was a cross-country star that day. I bet I covered that distance in half the time it took me to walk it.

I realised later they'd decided it was safe to attack me because I'd told Troy I was travelling alone. I had bruises on my neck in the shape of fingers for around a week.

At the time I wasn't all that scared, more stunned, and all of that was quickly overcome with adrenaline. The experience didn't even put me off travelling, although it does make me warier – I continued my trip then and continue to travel now. It's only when I hear about backpackers who go missing and turn up dead in suspicious circumstances that the room goes chilly for a second, when I think: Had I done just one thing differently or had those men been more determined, that could have been me.

Creepy, creepy, creepy.

View attachment 195272
View attachment 195273

Found the pics......They do not do the situation justice but it was hairy seeing that belting straight at us across the surface only at the last minute to go under the boat....funny thing is my friend froze and did not move the whole time. I am yet to see his picture haha maybe he never got to take it haha.

Looks like a Mary River Houseboat hire dinghy on Coroboree eh? A couple of years back we had two big boys smashing eachother in front of the houseboat. They were so enthusistic they crashed into us but didn't let up for a minute. November is always good for territorial disputes![/QUOTE]

Great spotting there....yes it was an ex mary river hire boat..... tired old thing

Some close calls here, especially with crocs and homicidally inclined students (or teachers?). I didn't realise school in some parts of Sydney was that bad.

When I was 20, I went on a solo trip to Indonesia. A week into it I was on the west coast of Java, feeling overwhelmed and wondering what the hell I was doing here. So naturally I went for a walk, hoping to find some peace. I chose a path through the jungle that led to a waterfall.

Soon after I'd reached the waterfall, two young men showed up. They pestered me continuously, asking me if my father or brother was coming. Bloody annoying! Plan scuttled, I gave up and walked back, the bothersome men following.

When I was almost back at the main road, I met an Australian who was about to take the same walk I'd been on. We introduced ourselves – I'll call him Troy for the sake of this story – and had a short conversation.

The two young men stood to the side and waited until Troy left. Moments after he’d gone they closed in on me, one in front, one behind. The one behind put his hands around my neck and started to squeeze.

I automatically went limp, arms dangling down by my sides. But I could still breathe, so I took in as much air as I could and yelled for Troy. Even though the noise sounded pretty weak to me and I was almost certain Troy was already out of earshot, it startled the men, who scampered off towards the road like rabbits.

Released suddenly, I staggered for a moment, shocked and breathless, then bolted in the opposite direction, heading for the waterfall and Troy. I've always been a bit of a runt and athleticism and I usually cannot coordinate with each other, but I was a cross-country star that day. I bet I covered that distance in half the time it took me to walk it.

I realised later they'd decided it was safe to attack me because I'd told Troy I was travelling alone. I had bruises on my neck in the shape of fingers for around a week.

At the time I wasn't all that scared, more stunned, and all of that was quickly overcome with adrenaline. The experience didn't even put me off travelling, although it does make me warier – I continued my trip then and continue to travel now. It's only when I hear about backpackers who go missing and turn up dead in suspicious circumstances that the room goes chilly for a second, when I think: Had I done just one thing differently or had those men been more determined, that could have been me.

Creepy, creepy, creepy.

They would have been after your kidneys for sure haha......not funny though....scary story

Last edited:
They would have been after your kidneys for sure haha......not funny though....scary story

:)

Hadn't thought of that possibility. Doubt they would have known where the kidneys are.

When you think about it humans are really not equipt for being prey.....soft without any real defence esp against a real predator....I mean if something can bring down a full grown horse a stupid fisherman not paying attention would be like crushing a marshmellow with pliers haha

Humans are probably the most equipped animals on the planet for being prey. We have ingenuity and the ability to use tools and create things. Being clever is handy in the animal kingdom.

Yeah we have big brains but we have nothing going for us physically. It's just the different evolutionary path (if you believe in these things ;)) that we took. I think chimps are a pretty good example since they are so close to us but they make up for their smaller brain capacity by having strength that is almost unfathomable to us from such a small human-like body shape.

Humans are probably the most equipped animals on the planet for being prey. We have ingenuity and the ability to use tools and create things. Being clever is handy in the animal kingdom.

Agreed....the human mind is a very powerful adversary and puts humans at the top of the food chain without a doubt........A crocodile is no danger to a human sitting in a M1A1 Abrams tank...but take him out leave him in his natural state equipped with no claws, and soft skin with blunt teeth or any real effective defence....... then he is of no match against a mass of scales teeth and massive jaw pressure..........unless.....of course......he is Chunk Norris!!

lol Guzzo I just got an image of you sitting in a tank with an army helmet - "Go on croc, splash me now...I dare you"

hmm i have a couple.

when i was knee high to a grass hopper, i lived in Kununurra, my parents and i were at a friend’s house for a BBQ they had a pink and grey in a cage that would bob up and down if you did and say hello, so I’m playing with the bird bobbing up and down, and then my dad yells "Tristan don't move" so being confused i looked around and right near my left leg was a lovely King Brown, reared up looking at me, now stand still i did not, i did that Cat trick where from a standing position i jumped up and sideways to safety, unfortunately the snake could not do the same and was quickly dispatched.

the other one happened last year i was free diving/fishing off Perth coast, i was catching crayfish by hand, and i spotted one so i took a breath, dove down to assess the size and location, go back up get another breath and dive down this time i grabbed him but he ducked back into his hole in the reef so i thrust my arm in after him and i had a weak hold and could not dislodge the bugger so i go to pull my arm out, but i knocked a Sea Urchin loose and it wedged between my arm and the wall and i was stuck.

so 5 or 6 meters underwater running out of breath and stuck in a reef, i remembered i had that panic any one gets when they realize they have their finger stuck in an object etc. so thought start racing through my head "*** am i going to do **** this is it it’s all over.. this is kind of a gay way to go..." i recall i have my diving knife strapped to my leg and the idea of using it crossed my mind, this mind you all happens in about 2-3 seconds, i ended up clearing my head and re look my situation and how i was stuck, so i then moved my arm forward again moving the sea urchin and freeing my arm.

then believe it or not i did the same thing all over again the next day

lol Guzzo I just got an image of you sitting in a tank with an army helmet - "Go on croc, splash me now...I dare you"

haha I had the same thought!!

hmm i have a couple.

when i was knee high to a grass hopper, i lived in Kununurra, my parents and i were at a friend’s house for a BBQ they had a pink and grey in a cage that would bob up and down if you did and say hello, so I’m playing with the bird bobbing up and down, and then my dad yells "Tristan don't move" so being confused i looked around and right near my left leg was a lovely King Brown, reared up looking at me, now stand still i did not, i did that Cat trick where from a standing position i jumped up and sideways to safety, unfortunately the snake could not do the same and was quickly dispatched.

the other one happened last year i was free diving/fishing off Perth coast, i was catching crayfish by hand, and i spotted one so i took a breath, dove down to assess the size and location, go back up get another breath and dive down this time i grabbed him but he ducked back into his hole in the reef so i thrust my arm in after him and i had a weak hold and could not dislodge the bugger so i go to pull my arm out, but i knocked a Sea Urchin loose and it wedged between my arm and the wall and i was stuck.

so 5 or 6 meters underwater running out of breath and stuck in a reef, i remembered i had that panic any one gets when they realize they have their finger stuck in an object etc. so thought start racing through my head "*** am i going to do **** this is it it’s all over.. this is kind of a gay way to go..." i recall i have my diving knife strapped to my leg and the idea of using it crossed my mind, this mind you all happens in about 2-3 seconds, i ended up clearing my head and re look my situation and how i was stuck, so i then moved my arm forward again moving the sea urchin and freeing my arm.

then believe it or not i did the same thing all over again the next day

Hey! thats strike two.......strike 3 and your out......please give up diving before the crayfish win!

mcdonald college of performing arts!

McDonald College?? Pfffft... you have to pay to go there. They're so desperate for kids to go there that they have to advertise on busses and at cinemas... Chose Newtown :D

Quick....get out while you still can....that place sounds crazy

Newtown is the best! Nothing ever bad has happened there. This is my fifth year there. Yeah, there are a few "druggo's", but hey, they're at every school. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back