Black Headed Python Scoffing a Goanna (Pic Heavy!)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackstik

Reaction score
I'm sure some of you have seen these pics before, but I thought I'd share with those who haven't. I got these pics in an email a while ago, I reckon they're a great example of a python's ability to eat prey items much larger than themselves. The pics were apparently taken at Cooyar, west of Kingaroy, QLD. It took the snake 5 hours to polish the Goanna off.
BHP1.jpg
BHP2.jpg
BHP3.jpg
BHP4.jpg
BHP5.jpg
BHP6.jpg
BHP7.jpg
BHP8.jpg
BHP9.jpg
BHP10.jpg
BHP11.jpg
BHP12.jpg
BHP13.jpg
BHP14.jpg
BHP15.jpg
BHP16.jpg
BHP17.jpg

No worries, give you a good sense of the size of it in the pic with the guy standing near it. I thought one of the best things is that they put out markers to stop any cars cleaning him up, that wouldn't happen around where I live, sadly people here would probably paint a bullseye on it.

You would find that it was actually in WA not QLD.

It has been posted before but awesome pics, im sure plenty havnt seen it before ans i was actually about to search for the pics to show someone. It should probably be made into a sticky thread for those wondering if they can feed their python something bigger than pinkies.

While i would rather watch a monitor killing a snake all is fair and interesting in nature.

beleive it or not these shots were taken by people from my work.

These pictures were taken by one of the the road crew at Cooyar, west of Kingaroy last week.
It took a total of 5 hours for the snake to finish off the Goanna. As you can see, they put some
signage up so it couldn't be run over
some information for those who want it /

really, just doesnt look anything like a qld bhp.
looks more like a b+w bhp from wa
i have always beleived it to be from wa so have to take your word then ali but then again :D

These pictures were taken by one of the the road crew at Cooyar, west of Kingaroy last week.
It took a total of 5 hours for the snake to finish off the Goanna. As you can see, they put some

I choose to not believe. It was actually in Melbourne and its eating a rare colour form of komodo dragon in an eloborate enclosure built in a druglords lair. The snake is believed to be 5m long and weighs over 200kg after eating the 102kg prey. Chain emails are always true though so maybe im wrong.

Yeah that's exactly what the email I got said. To the people who say it's a WA, it may well be, I personally have no idea to be honest. I'm just going by what I was told.

what sort of monitor is it nice anyway its a shame it had to be eaten ....but in nature its survival of the fittest and i looks like the BHP was it!! great pics!!

Its a Yellow Spotted Monitor (V.panoptes), more a case of of losing the gamble of life rather than being the fittest. In the morning a python will be working much better than a monitor, both will be looking for the road and its warmth and roadkill.

Great pictures, but there aren't any BHP's at Cooyar. The landscape at Cooyar also looks nothing like that.

I think that's great too... one of the best parts of the story actually!

yeah it is great but its also a requirement part of most mines these days is environmental impact studies as well so they have to be mindful not to harm any of the local wildlife etc

i work at a mining consulting firm, and one of my friends in the draftees department had to redesign a waste pit because on the original grounds they found a colony of burrowing spiders that had to be protected.

You would find that it was actually in WA not QLD.
I can verify the authenticity of the information.
These pics were taken by road workers upgrading the Toowoomba Cooyar Road, very near to Cooyar,
The markers near the snake were placed there by the workmen to protect the snake until it had finished its meal and retreated into the bush.
They were sent to me by a very close friend, a local historian and were taken by a man he knows very well.
They were taken a couple of years ago; I have been looking for a date but have not yet found one, but it was between 2008 and 2010

do you have the date that these were taken?
I got them from a friend of mine at the time, whose mate was working on the road gang and took the pics.
I've been looking for the date and the nearest I can place them is between 2008 and 2010

Last edited:
they where taken in wa at cloud break mine site and there using heritage area stakes not surveying stakes i work in the pilbra and im pretty shore there not taken in queensland,
and your historian friends mate probley heard it from a friend of a friend aswell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back