Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
im not having a go at you but people tell me they dislike the guy because of those actions and i dont understand why, he probably had valid reasons to express his view and the man knows what he is doing.

sorry longirostris

So people are going to dislike him for that.

NO....It is not about disliking a person for their ideals/beliefs, etc.

YES ...Some of us strive for different goals

what were the reasons behind him not wanting the general public?
perhaps he didnt want people keeping them as it increases the likelihood of illegal importation, exportation and exploitation of the animals.
plus im sure there are people out there that get pets and then lose interest in them. and lets be honest reptiles as a pet could be classed as boring. they dont play with you, there not something to show affection... more of a look but dont touch animal

Well, dislike suggests personal animosity or something, I never met him and didn't know him, but I can disagree with things he did or believed, and that very strongly.

But all this 'Hey he must've had his reasons/knew what he was doing' talk is just inconsistent, if we don't have the right to opinions on the 'goals' or behaviour or beliefs of people we don't know personally, then why tell people off on a forum? :)

Back to the topic, I think the Zoo lost sense of direction. Not that it ever had any but Steve was bringing the money in and plenty of it, so didn't really matter that much. Now, the draw card is gone and the lack of direction is showing. Other Zoos and suffering from the tourism downturn just the same, some have contingency plans in plans, some don't.

I've only been to a few zoos and they have been ok.

As a kid growing up it was Taronga Zoo yeh was large, wasn't my thing at the time, no one on one time really with animals.
Symbio Zoo/Park (Not sure how many people know of it, it's inbetween Wollongong and Sydney) was my favourite little park and I don't know if it still exists.

In later years, I've been to Cairns Zoo & Canberra Zoo and they are both very nice, not overly large but focus on certain aspects and very friendly! Also the 'Venom Zoo' in Cairns was a cool attraction :)

Also the 'Venom Zoo' in Cairns was a cool attraction :)

"Cool" it is, in the true sense of the word. "Freezing shocker" would be my description. Have you met the owner? Now that's an experience!

That Venom Zoo was the worst "zoo" I've ever been to. Enclosures full of old sheds and crap. Ven feeding displays where all viewers must stand on the second level in case the incompetent handler allows one to exit its enclosure ucontrolled. Continually, loudly reassuring me that I have nothing to fear while holding their scrubby even though I just told them I own reps and have no fear of snakes. A "tour" around the spider/lizard area by a robot-like guide (I'm still not entirely convinced he wasn't a cyborg) who couldn't answer simple questions. Sorry just had to add that.
Back onto Aus. Zoo...

"Cool" it is, in the true sense of the word. "Freezing shocker" would be my description. Have you met the owner? Now that's an experience!

No I didn't but I held a lovely blackhead python and checked out all the other venomous bad boys :) Then you had the guy holding the tarantulas etc scorpions and everything else... I will definitely go back and visit.

That Venom Zoo was the worst "zoo" I've ever been to. Enclosures full of old sheds and crap. Ven feeding displays where all viewers must stand on the second level in case the incompetent handler allows one to exit its enclosure ucontrolled. Continually, loudly reassuring me that I have nothing to fear while holding their scrubby even though I just told them I own reps and have no fear of snakes. A "tour" around the spider/lizard area by a robot-like guide (I'm still not entirely convinced he wasn't a cyborg) who couldn't answer simple questions. Sorry just had to add that.
Back onto Aus. Zoo...

It's small, and for the $9 or what ever its an experience that doesn't suck your time or wallet, but yes i agree its in a tinny shed and they could be looked after better than they were. The tour guide we had was good so I can't comment to that aspect!

Apology

im not having a go at you but people tell me they dislike the guy because of those actions and i dont understand why, he probably had valid reasons to express his view and the man knows what he is doing.

sorry longirostris

Specks,

May I also offer you my apologies, I get a little frustrated sometimes and every now and then I don't do what I was suggesting you should do. Think.

Your graciousness was very much appreciated and shows a level of maturity that I did not give you credit for. Thank you very much.

Specks,

May I also offer you my apologies, I get a little frustrated sometimes and every now and then I don't do what I was suggesting you should do. Think.

Your graciousness was very much appreciated and shows a level of maturity that I did not give you credit for. Thank you very much.

thankyou. i appreciate the comments and i am glad to see you are not like a heap of people on here that give a spray and think nothing of it. i can see you are genuine and i am glad to see that. we are all human but only some can acknowledge that and you show that.

cheers

Specks,

He was an informant for the wildlife authorities....after he was busted they gave him the option..give people up or wear the consquences, he wore wires, phone tapped calls the whole nine yards to try and get people in trouble to get himself out of the ....

He was anti keepers because he wanted to be the only one who could work with herps...and everyone compared to him where novices...an egotistical point of view but from business sense...if they had the only snakes, crocs etc it makes them more of a drawcard to the zoo.

Cheers,
Scott

Scott, I admire you for having the gust to say it as it was. No fuss, this is the truth! I could tell a story or two but this thread is about the Zoo, not about "Him" (as many naive people saw him) but lets leave it to that.

Cheers
Michael

once dead and buried the truth does come out...........................
Shines a new light on the man.................sad really.

Mungus I really do agree with you, we celebrate his life as he really was great for us as a country but because some reptile keepers saw his otherside they have a totally different view.
Lets move off him and back to the zoo. The zoo has done good things but yes is pricey, it is a buisness yes?

yes, but its like a lot of things from a sales point of view your better off lowering the price and getting a higher turn over which could increase the overall net profit from admission into the park, rather than going larger profit per ticket, but less ticket sales. its been said before but i will say it again for locals you go once maybe twice if you have visitors or something but for the cost there are better places to go.

I agree giglamesh and with the financial crisis and the view of overseas tourists that think queesland is a disaster, they have really struggled
but I do think they will renew themselves and find a new way to do it.
their last name is Irwin, determination is what they are. Steve and the family didn't get therebwithout it did they.

What about Bob Irwin he got arrested the other day, i care more for him than some wannabe popstar tourist park. Better spending money to help him, he is interested in real conservation rather than a poorly designed money grabbing venture. I can understand kids thinking Australia Zoo is cool but any adults supporting them should be looking carefully at what they are doing.

I hope the owners of Australia Zoo go broke so it can be used for a postive purpose.

While i think he was exteremly ignorant i have learnt a small amount of respect for Steve Irwins hypocritcal hatred of captive reptile keeping. That said i dont really care much what he thinks or thought, i just watched his shows to see the cool setups with awesome critters(not to watch some tosser dancing around to degrade the image of aussies and nark on reptile keepers without any credibility of his own*(so i have heard from a few sources)). I also keep reptiles and dislike the way many others treat them, but IMO that is their business rather than something to impose upon them from some imaginary high horse.

Last edited:
the way he acts is the reason he became so popular worldwide, if not for his showmanship i doubt the zoo would be what it is today.... well what it was just before he died.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back