Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a friend who lives near the zoo, I have stayed at her place and she asked did I want to there.
Apart from the exhorbitant price I had no intention of donating my $ to someone who annoyed the crap out of animals
to make a living.
I also hated the advertising campaign asking for donations to save "Steve's place" when he got the land (Northern Qsld) for free off the government. Why as Australians we should gift our land to someone who is already rolling in it is beyond me.

the way he acts is the reason he became so popular worldwide, if not for his showmanship i doubt the zoo would be what it is today.... well what it was just before he died.

Yeah it was much better a long time before he was infamous. Then again it didnt have all the typical zoo stuff, just cool Aussie critters and a few of the more interesting herps from overseas along with nice staff that would be happy to talk and show you stuff. When people get into showbz they become egotistical trash, especially if the come from nothing and aim for it like those running the place now IMO.

I absolutely agree with you Darlyn.
Given the government favoritism displayed in the past, i wouldnt be surprised
if the government "bailed" them out of this apparent predicament.

I think its disappointing the Irwin Juggernaut did seemingly nothing for local species
like The Nangur Spiny Skink and Mary River Turtle.

I think its disappointing the Irwin Juggernaut did seemingly nothing for local species

The labor government is screwed, I dont theink the Newman would be interested in supporting popstar phonies. Also dont drag down the Irwin name, Bob Irwin is doing everything he can, thats why he has nothing to do with the zoo anymore.

Really, bob is all over the Mary river turtle. I've only seen him do talks about the turtles

Thanks Australis.
The government favouritism also extended to the minister for (I think environment) asking
for Steves' advice on the culling of crocs in the Top End. Steve decided it was a bad thing so it was canned.
However the crocs where being (and still are) killed when they pose a threat. They were trying to make it so it was governed
and Aboriginal people would make money out of it but Steve said no. Celebrity obviously makes you a government advisor.

Okay I've vented now and I'm sure the government will shell out our money to save the circus.

and Aboriginal people would make money out of it but Steve said no.

Crocs should have a max. size and bag limit like fish and suitable reserves to preserve the population.
In Qld large crocs have special protection, but they still trap them and move them at massive cost, its useful for research but otherwise a waste of time. Like most animals its important to protect the big ones and harvest the smaller more tasty ones, in a way that doesnt damage populations or genetic intergrity.

Last edited by a moderator:
where Aboriginal people live. Where some crocodiles are problematic. They are going to be killed anyway
(have you seen Gordo's threads re same?).
There are trophy hunters who pay a lot of money for this. Why wouldn't you utilise this and give some people
who have no way of earning an income in remote communities an opportunity to be employed?
Do you also think there should be open season on killing crocs?

I was talking about Aboriginal land where Aboriginal people live. So, yes geographically they are seperate.
I think you may be a tad prejudiced yourself.
Your ridiculous lambasting of the government is a moot point.
I think you are a bit of a ====D
Have a lovely evening.

lol I'm glad I stayed up to watch this thread now. These fights are always fun to see.
Now I finally understand why the "old hats" on here never have anything nice to say whenever Steve Irwin's name comes up. I'd love to hear about the other things that people have hinted at.
As for the zoo, maybe I don't understand the details properly but it seems like basic business strategy and they deserve to fail if they are going to make it so ridiculously expensive just to walk in the door

Simple
Bob Irwin - putting his money where his mouth is and helping the environment
Steve Irwin - Total tool
Terri - Probably screwed herself with the lack of direction.

I asked Specks what has SI done for conservation in Australia. Still no answer from him, so can anyone else comment? Please facts only, not just hearsay.

Playing devil's advocate here Michael, he certainly did a lot to raise awareness of conservation issues and familiarize the public with species that should be protected. I know this somewhat intangible but it is true nonetheless.

Playing devil's advocate here Michael, he certainly did a lot to raise awareness of conservation issues and familiarize the public with species that should be protected. I know this somewhat intangible but it is true nonetheless.

I think you are missing Michael's point here Rondo. A lot of people 'assume' SI did a lot, but Michael is asking for solid proof.

You've proved absolutely nothing...

I kinda like steve because his shows educated a lot of people, yeah he was paid but if it wasnt for his shows my mum would still be a snake hater.

You may be a bit racist considering you consider aboriginals to be seperate, but i wasnt meaning to call you a degenerate, that part directected at our racist government. I dont see any reason why 'race' should exist for humans or even skin colour have any influence on your right to sustainably eat wildlife or live on land. Why should someone have a racist privilage to kill a tasty croc sustainably when a person of differant colour or lacking native title cant? (not to say killing under native title is sustainable but im not going to write a massive post).

If you think that Indigenous people in remote communities live the same peachy life you do in Brisbane you are wrong mate. I am not stating whether it is right or wrong however you are way off in your above statement that in todays day and age, aboriginals are still not separated.

I have lived in remote communities for the last 6 years in W.A and QLD and it is not all clear cut with every Indigenous person supporting killing countless native animals.

Irwin was a clown who hated the fact that he was busted with illegal wildlife and made a point of ratting out any other private keeper that was having more success than he was. I find it ironic that he was killed whilst annoying the hell out of native wildlife that he exploited to make his millions!

I can only imagine the smirk on Buckleys face when he heard the news of Irwins demise! It would have been priceless to see.

In regards to the future of the Zoo, I am sure the government will bail them out, so no need to worry. How will a business learn if they have the government to lean on during hard times?

I kinda like steve because his shows educated a lot of people, yeah he was paid but if it wasnt for his shows my mum would still be a snake hater.

There are hundreds of reptile demonstrators doing just that only most of them don't that kind of exposure. I am not sure if free-handling dangerous snakes on TV is the right sort of education.
Let me rephrase my question - what has he done for conservation in Australia that didn't earn him money or gains in kind?

You may be a bit racist considering you consider aboriginals to be seperate, but i wasnt meaning to call you a degenerate, that part directected at our racist government. I dont see any reason why 'race' should exist for humans or even skin colour have any influence on your right to sustainably eat wildlife or live on land. Why should someone have a racist privilage to kill a tasty croc sustainably when a person of differant colour or lacking native title cant? (not to say killing under native title is sustainable but im not going to write a massive post).

They sure as hell are not tasty! I'll tell you that for free.

Darlyn and Cris, you're both arguing the same point. I think it is also important to add that while there is still a technical ban on 'trophy hunting' crocs, if you know the right people anyone can legally go out and shoot a trophy crocodile and obtain permits from parks and wildlife to keep the animals products.

As for what SI did for conservation. I don't think anyone can argue that he did nothing. He locked up reasonably large areas of land from being cleared and devolped.

He wasn't the first and he wont be the last of what he was. He was just the one who got the most attention.

LOL, well when you put it like that, it's hard to come up with anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back