Feeding Question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Juz92

Reaction score
Hey guys, just wondering what I should be feeding my stimmie. He's about 5 - 6 months old, 33cm and is eating one pinkie every 5 - 7 days. But he seems to digest it pretty quickly usually the lump is gone by the next day, and he poos a day or so after that. Should I bump up the feeding size/feed him more often, or just keep doing what I'm doing.

Cheers, Justin.

My stimmie is four months old. On the advice of the breeder, I've just started her on velvet mice. I intend to feed her one every five days, occasionally giving her a pinky as well. You could certainly offer him a velvet and see how he goes.

If he is downing the pinky pretty quick and there isnt much of a lump, I would definately give velvets a shot. Im sure you wont have any problems with the size, if he doesnt take it, just keep going as you are and try again at a later date :)

Thanks guys, I'll see if I can find velvets in the next couple days. Hopefully the petshop sells them.

In these kinda questions, people often give a snake's age and length, but not often their weight.

Is weight important to getting an idea of how 'big' a young snake is for it's age?

Bazynga is a ft lond childrenis bubby,and i have moved him onto pinkie rats,they are twice the size of a pinkie mouse,and it takes him a few minutes for him to get it down and the lump is quite noticable.

I'm having feeding concerns too! Snakes can't tell you when they're hungry or if they've had enough. I'm going to try to increase food size, but still have four fuzzy mice left, is it OK to offer him two of these? I have a 4 month old albino darwin carpet python, my first snake. He is 50cm, 38grams. Thanks guys :)

Re feed sizes, is the rule of thumb that feed size = 10-30% body weight a good initial guide?

Yes, i usually feed pythons stuff around 30% when using whole rodents.

I'm having feeding concerns too! Snakes can't tell you when they're hungry or if they've had enough. I'm going to try to increase food size, but still have four fuzzy mice left, is it OK to offer him two of these? I have a 4 month old albino darwin carpet python, my first snake. He is 50cm, 38grams. Thanks guys :)

Yeah feeding 2 is fine, could probably eat more but better to just wait 4-5 days incase it doesnt want them all at once.

Last edited:
I worked it out that the pinkies I have are about 2grams each, and the snake itself is 16 or so. I'm considering feeding him two of them since that would be about 30% of his weight, but I'm worried that both of them will be too long for him?

Yes they can
If you watch your snake you will see if hunt....either curled up and in strike position or up high looking down.....that means hungry....and curled up asleep means full.....cranky with lots of striking when your snake is usually quiet also means hungry........and Alvin certainly let me know he was hungry when he grabbed my finger and coiled my hand......

You just need to get to know your snake and you will know what you are doing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back