avoiding infighting and trolls

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you have the potential to get slandering etc as you call it on just about ANY topic. Especially reptiles. People all have differences of opinions and different experiences that they voice (thats the point of a forum). However, while some comments are down right nasty, MAJORITY of comments are intended to be productive, its just the person reading it that takes offence because of a difference of opinions.

In my opinion, some people just need to Harden Up and accept that someone disagrees with them and thats a fact of life.
But I do agree that there are certain users that can get a bit nasty... but its rare, itsd just someone else taking their words out of context.

... so basically, the problem is not with the topics, its with the users.

My opinion on the subject.

Some members deliberately start up threads on controversial subjects just to get everyone going.
The members never seem to talk about reptiles, but up pops their name on a thread that is controversial. Especially if it is to knock this site.

I love differences of opinions. There is a way to voice your opinion WITHOUT being nasty, pointing fingers at anyone or be insulting.

I would prefer to never have to close a thread, but humans being humans, doubt that will ever happen.

It is a very good idea for members to meet other members and to see that there is actually a 'REAL' human being behind that keyboard and some words can be very hurtful and that there are all different backgrounds and different types of religion amongst all the members.

JMO

It's what happens when you type your words instead of saying them face to face to somebody...

Exactly
A lot of what is said on the net would never be said face to face for fear of getting a thump in the face.
its too easy to be disrespectfull online...
But thats the internet...

And there is always the potential for someone overly sensitive to a subject to interpret a comment in a way different meaning than it was intended....

In 2011 i don't think religion really deserves or warrants any special protection from ridicule.
There is countless threads covering controversial subjects like "race", sexuality and politics... that are also the cause offense to people.. so why aren't they banned from
discussion also.

I think nothing should be taboo, but a line should be drawn at name calling and insults. If you are being stupid, you will get a tongue lashing from everyone anyway. These threads are not compulsory, if you don't like the content, don't take part.....simple.:)

Why ban these topics? Lately the debate threads have been great, and nothing offensive or nasty was written. If you don't like it then don't read it.

What about all the repetitive threads about naming animals? Or what snake should i get? Or, i have just boght this how do i keep it?

Do these threads get banned too, because i see some replies in these that may be considered harsh. Meh, if you are so soft online, i'd hate to see how people cope in the real world.

Why ban these topics? Lately the debate threads have been great, and nothing offensive or nasty was written. If you don't like it then don't read it.

What about all the repetitive threads about naming animals? Or what snake should i get? Or, i have just boght this how do i keep it?

Do these threads get banned too, because i see some replies in these that may be considered harsh. Meh, if you are so soft online, i'd hate to see how people cope in the real world.

+1 Exactly right, Jay.

The sad thing is that 90% of threads about religions or sexuality ect almost always end up being closed due to nasty posting from rascists, homophobes ect. I dont think discrimination of any kind should be allowed.

The sad thing is that 90% of threads about religions or sexuality ect almost always end up being closed due to nasty posting from rascists, homophobes ect. I dont think discrimination of any kind should be allowed.

True, discrimination should not be allowed. But the reason there are debates is to get your point of view across, to educate others and even learn yourself. Why stop this?

I hate the idea that some subjects such as religion are taboo to question/discuss. No subject should be above questioning in my opinion. The only reason people get their knickers in a knot is when they cannot provide answers to a question logically or with a bit of evidence. If you have an opinion and it is based on evidence (or a feeling if you are that way inclined), then why be forced not to share it :p

True, discrimination should not be allowed. But the reason there are debates is to get your point of view across, to educate others and even learn yourself. Why stop this?

Sorry, I was about to add that I enjoy those debates as well, but unfortunately they rarely end well.

The net will always have infighting because in the outside world these people are to scared.On the net people are 10 foot tall and bulletproof,very few would stand by their convictions and opinions,too afraid of repercussions/conflict or someone who would challenge.
Don't argue with idiots, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience...
Its also better to have people think your an idiot than to open your mouth and confirm it!!!

Last edited:
is it just me or does anyone else think this site needs a no politics, and no religion rule over the whole forum to avoid fight threads/trolling and general disarray i think it will cut out 80% of insult packed threads and alot of the bs and help maintain friendships and a friendlier forum over all.

just an idea
NatoRey

ah... The fun police have arrived.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back