Expensive Hobby!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wokka I reckon the fish cost more, every tank has a filter, heater and pump running all the time plus a light on sometimes, the turtle tanks have a uv light and a spot lamp 12 hours a day and external filters. Some of the large tanks have a small internal filter as well mostly for current. One of the large tanks has a metal halide light which looks great but costs heaps. In summer I have to have the ac on in the room so they dont cook but in winter it stays pretty stable at about 22-24 from the amount of water. Good room for reptiles because of that. It also has the poker table in that room and sometimes that costs me a bit ;)

Chris1-That sounds nice, I have never been paid for electricity before, fingers crossed when the solar is up I will.

Wokka I reckon the fish cost more, every tank has a filter, heater and pump running all the time plus a light on sometimes, the turtle tanks have a uv light and a spot lamp 12 hours a day and external filters. Some of the large tanks have a small internal filter as well mostly for current. One of the large tanks has a metal halide light which looks great but costs heaps. In summer I have to have the ac on in the room so they dont cook but in winter it stays pretty stable at about 22-24 from the amount of water. Good room for reptiles because of that. It also has the poker table in that room and sometimes that costs me a bit ;)

I had all my tanks running on the same biofilter with one pump and heater and one airpump sucking and circulating heated air from within the room.I ended up using a oil heater to heat the room air which then circulated through the aerators to heat the water. About 800 watts to heat, aerate and filter the 40 tanks!

Sounds like an awesome set up, I was thinking about doing one big sump filter to run them all but I would rather keep the water seperate and Id prob stuff it up and flood the house. Did you just use overflow valves in the tanks with a normal hose input of water. One pump for all of them? Did you just use hose valves or something to regulate the amount or were all your tanks the same size? Im in the process of setting up timers and overflow valves to do auto small water changes everyday so I dont have to do a large one every few weeks. Im still happy with the solar though, I think it will be good, with the tanks, rep enclosures, plasma and the metal halide light uses heaps. Both the a/c's and the central heating are electric as well, I dont think the person who put it all in thought about it. I was considering gas heating when I replace it but one thing a a time, expensive to renovate lol.

PS the heating of the tanks isnt so much of a prob now that so much water is in the room, its more the filters and lights and ac in summer to keep the room cool. Would love to see a large set up like that in person to see how it works, better than trial and error although that is getting me there, slowly. You dont have any pics do you?

Last edited:
My grandad is completely off the grid and is 100% powered by solar power, and luckily I'm going up there in 2 weeks, so I'll pick his brains about it. We have a few saolar cells, but idk what they have done to our bill.
How long has solar been around? Seems like people are only just realising its there if you know what I mean.

Will

Solar has been around for quite awhile now. My best mate who also installs solar panels has been doing so for the last 5 years

Solar has been around for ages but its much more affordable now and in many cases there are rebates avail. The quality has also gotten better. I only waited so long because I needed the house to put the panels on hahaha. Im still very interested in and pics you might have wokka.

Sorry twitch, I haven't had fish for 10 years so no pics. Not a lot to look at. There was a biological filter connected to all tanks via overflow holes with inlet of standard irrigation pipes with taps to regulate flow through each tank. The air was from a blower which is more efficient than the usual diaphram pumps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back