Exotic List

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabatron

Not so new Member
Reaction score
was wondering if there is a website or any lists anyone knows of that shows the current exotic species allowed to be kept by australian zoos?

Any species is allowed with appropriate permits, except nile perch. That's not allowed to be imported alive. Might be a few others to.

alrighty then sweet! haha i want to open a zoo/reptile park when im older :)

yeah im 19 so ive got a while to figure all that out haha

I want a zoo just so I can have Lions. <3
Haha. I can still dream. :p

I'd imagine it would be ridiculously hard to get a loan for the land, permits and costs of exotic animals. You'd need a corporation behind it.

Don't listen to the haters man!!

At your age just about anything can be achieved!!

yeah im 19 so ive got a while to figure all that out haha

I am guessing start somewhere around $50M to buy land, build and acquire enough interesting animals to encourage people to come and make it sustainable.

you could save money and make it a unique experience by doing away with enclosures and letting the animals mingle with the guests. Then we could really see if Darwin's theory was correct.

interesting idea jackrabbit haha, ill have to get corporate sponsorships and all of that if i hope to acheive anything but it is all doable, its a long shot but im determined to get there

Any species is allowed with appropriate permits, except nile perch. That's not allowed to be imported alive. Might be a few others to.

Not quite correct. It's not open slather, even for zoos. They have to put in detailed applications for any species not already here, and jump through many bureaucratic hoops to justify any request for bringing a new species into Australia. If it can't be justified on economic, scientific or research grounds, then it won't happen. They can't just say they want something because it looks nice.

Most exotic reptiles moved between zoos are swap or gift transactions - there is very often a surplus of exotic animals which normally are euthanased for want of approved facilities to keep them... i.e., they are cheap as chips, often can't even be given away, and would be a negligible component of the costs of establishing a zoo.

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back