Feeding tiny turtle?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

V3NOM

Reaction score
Hey guys,

A friend of mine told me she has a tiny turtle but she doesnt know what type it is.

She also says it isnt eating anything.

What kind of food can i tell her to try if we dont know what kinda turtle it is???

Is there any food that all turtles eat....

Thanks in advance

try post photos and someone may help but im sure most turtles eat the same thing correct me if im wrong
but i dont own any turtles so i dont know

Turtle pellets? I think you can feed them crickets as well

chopped up raw fresh water fish...
frozen blood worm cubes thawed...

it's probably an eastern long neck or a Murray river turtle.

sera have a baby turtle pellet, i use to feed mine that.. bloodworms is another good one too. make sure they eat it all. because they are messy things, try feeding it in a container with a bit of tank water in the bottom of it.

if it's not eating, make sure that it's not too cold also. what heating is over the tank? any UV light? water temp?

yeah definitively watch things like UV light and calcium....it's extremely sad to see a turtle end up with soft shell.

oh so it needs a uv light?

how long should it be on for and what wattage?

Shouldn't the type be on the license?

Shouldn't the type be on the license?

Not if the friend in question is in SA...(not saying they are just a thought) They are exempt. Oh try whiskers jelly meat (it was recommended to someone I know who had a turtle with a soft shell by a vet. Supposedly it has high calcium

Im not sure if they found it or whateva... she just told me they had a tiny turtle, and she mentioned a couple times during the week that she hasnt seen it eat.

Dont know if they have a license etc, but id rather just find out what i can for her so it doesnt die atleast.

Will get some pics from her 2morow....

I did do a little searching on the threads, but it seems that penny turtles are the source of much contraversy...

she told me it was a penny turtle...? but yer pics on the way

Tiny turtles are best kept in a kitty litter tray with the water coming above it's shell and changed every day. 3cm of water.
Keep the kitty litter tray on a heat cord. Temp should be 25c.
The MUST have a UV light. Put a smooth rock in the middle so that it can climb out.
Turtle Dinner is a good frozen food and is a balanced food. Bloodworms are fine..BUT it is like a kid living on ice cream, it is not a properly balanced food.

There is NO SUCH thing as a penny turtle it is a myth. They will all grow to the size of a dinner plate.

So many things to say, Im just on my way out but Ill be back in a few hours and would be happy to help :)

Here is one pic of the little guy.....

Anyone know what type it is?.... better pics to come

Thanks in advance

5620882141_4b2a44c934_z.jpg
[/url]
emma_turtle by EVIL_V3NOM, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited:
In my unprofessional opinion I deem thee a Long Neck

it reminds me of little foot, from the land before time. very cute none the less

Eastern Snake-necked Turtle, Chelodina longicollis, shell length averages at a foot.

This link has an excellent care sheet written by Craig Latta Turtle Care Sheets. There is a forum for australian freshwater turtles but im not sure if i can link it. Best to feed it on stuff like small live fish, shrimp and insects. Meaty stuff will pollute the water much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back