whats your views of wild caught snakes in captivity???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i believe that catching to breed then release is probably a good thing if it doesnt cause to much stress on the animal

Wrong! Very wrong, it may not cause any stress to the released animal but it may have devastating effect on the wild population. There are far more reaching issues that causing a stress.

hopefully they would not servive because they would cross a road get stressed by the on coming headlights and go around and around in a circle and get run over lol.

Lmfao

For you all to say its ok to catch some, breed from them and then release after
reproducing them, Have a think about what the release may do to the other wild snakes, Eg what possible pathogens etc maybe released into a wild population.

As a keeper of a reasonable collection of legally WC adult animals i find theses arguments flawed as EVERY reptile any of you keep stemmed from WC animals.

+1
agree in every way.
seems to be alot of posts from people without any experience in this hobby. without wild caught animals this hobby wouldnt be a hobby

the hypocricy is overwhelming.

If you don't agree with keeping wild caught animals I suggest you give up your animals and keep a pet rock.

There is nothing wrong with a sustainable harvest of anythign from the wild. That said i don't think most wild caught reptiles are suitable for most keepers. They have a habit of dieing.

I'm not sure how other jurisdictions work but i'm not a big fan of the open slather collection of relocation reptiles in the NT. It is way too easy to be raughted by people who are not so keen to do the right thing.

+1
agree in every way.
seems to be alot of posts from people without any experience in this hobby. without wild caught animals this hobby wouldnt be a hobby

But there is also alot of posts from people who have not been involved with collection or keeping wild animals.

realease programs usually take a postgrad student and ALOT of funning and this will only be done with the rarest of sp.
realeasing captive snakes isn't the answer to what to do with a wc snake.
catch one then bred it what do you bred with a hypo of other??? then you will release 2 snakes as well a new genes to the area that do not occur their naturally...

if they come into captivity they will have to stay in there...

realease programs usually take a postgrad student and ALOT of funning and this will only be done with the rarest of sp.
realeasing captive snakes isn't the answer to what to do with a wc snake.
catch one then bred it what do you bred with a hypo of other??? then you will release 2 snakes as well a new genes to the area that do not occur their naturally...

This statement is pretty flawed and reflects inexperience.

Hypos, hypers, albinos etc etc all exist in wild populations within any species.

My opinion of most re-releases is that they are almost entirely symbolic.

But there is also alot of posts from people who have not been involved with collection or keeping wild animals.

i dont have permits to collect wild animals. if your post is addressed at me id like to know how you know what i keep and what i dont?

wc snakes are needed, there would be no hobby without them and if new bloodlines were not introduced into the hobby eventually everything would be related to each other and it would only be a matter of time for the inbreeding to start to show! having said that i don't believe every tom, dick and harry should be able to just go out into the wild and collect wild snakes, leave it to people with experience and if you want that experience yourself, then go to learn from someone that does have it!

Dave, this is one of the more important topics as I see it. Here is an opportunity to explain to the soft-hearted uneducated people that releasing captive animals into the wild is wrong - full stop.
Captive breeding for re-introduction is a viable option in case of 'close to extinction' species but such programs must be carefully structured and conducted by scientists. It just so stupid and irresponsible to say "take one, release two".

i dont have permits to collect wild animals. if your post is addressed at me id like to know how you know what i keep and what i dont?

It was in response to your statement about inexperienced keepers not your specfic circumstances because i don't know them. It was a general statment.

If someone feels like getting new blood or a new species into the hobby it really isn't as simple as going out and grabbing an animal. You will end up with an unacceptably high mortality rate with most species.

Dave, this is one of the more important topics as I see it. Here is an opportunity to explain to the soft-hearted uneducated people that releasing captive animals into the wild is wrong - full stop.
Captive breeding for re-introduction is a viable option in case of 'close to extinction' species but such programs must be carefully structured and conducted by scientists. It just so stupid and irresponsible to say "take one, release two".

Unfortunately the beaurocrats have that simplistic view also. I know a very interesting case that will hopefully be played out in the coming years where that is a condition.

Unfortunately the beaurocrats have that simplistic view also. I know a very interesting case that will hopefully be played out in the coming years where that is a condition.

As long as it's an experiment and as long as the bureaucrats are guided by scientists, there may be some merit to it.

As long as it's an experiment and as long as the bureaucrats are guided by scientists, there may be some merit to it.

There could be some scientists behind it but i doubt it. I think it is more about keeping people happy and being seen to be replacing what was taken.

I think there are enough captive bred reptiles in the industry without taking them from the wild. If you want new blood, buy a captive snake from another breeder!

I may be wrong, but I've always imagined releasing a captrive bred snake into the wild would mean certain death for the snake. How would they ever learn to survive on their own when they have been hand fed by their owners for most part of their lives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back