Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are 3 threads on ball python x this and that, people wanting exotics, jags, etc, etc..

Is the colour of the snake all that people admire? If it is, that's pretty sad and demonstrates the shallow interest in reptiles. "colourful pets" - is that all?

I apologise for the negativity in this post but it's almost painful to read "I wont one", whenever a photo of some screwed up hybrid appears on here - like kids in a lolly shop.

isnt it all about how it looks? dont tell me you love the look of every butt ugly snake. so you keep and breed GTP's because you like the look of them or you really dont care about their looks, its about the money.
i bet you would breed ball pythons if they were legal to keep

isnt it all about how it looks? dont tell me you love the look of every butt ugly snake. so you keep and breed GTP's because you like the look of them or you really dont care about their looks, its about the money.

Hahaha thats a thread closer right there. Well done. Semi-serious thread deleted.

What really gets to me is that so many people in this hobby have no interest in getting out and seeing these animals (that they claim to have such an interest in) in their natural environment. They would much prefer to keep them in a melamine box in their house, yet have no idea what their natural environment looks like or how they behave in the wild. They only know what they have seen in a shop or read on an internet forum. I believe if you really have a genuine interest in our native reptiles then the ultimate feeling is to get out and appreciate them for yourself, in the wild. Not herping at a pet shop.

This is something I have ALWAYS been interested in. I don't know much about snakes, but even before I kept them I ALWAYS would hope to spot one when walking. I have no idea where to look, and seeing them hasn't happened often for me. Same with sharks, though. There would be nothing more thrilling to me than seeing great whites in the wild on a boat in SA, it would out do seaworlds shark bay by a long shot.

I'd also love to go to various places around the world to observe wild animals. In fact, I was selected to go to Costa Rica, Africa, Cambodia or NZ as part of a wild life study for uni. I couldn't afford it this year, but I can reserve a spot for 2012 and it's a toss up between Costa Rica (relocating leatherback turtles) or Africa.

Regarding the natural environments, when I am more knowledgable and my snakes are a reasonable size, I have plans for a self sustaining terrarium. I think natural environments are amazing and if they can be replicated, I think it would be really satisfying.

Despite all this, I still don't see the problem with people cross breeding for amazing colours. If they aren't released and bred with wild animals, then why does it matter?

I still think if you don't like people doing this, then you should also be having a dig at people who are successfully producing albino's and amazingly coloured Jungles, because it's selective breeding, regardless.

Why are you taking a cheap shot at me?
I keep / breed / study GTPs because they have (to me) the most interesting biology and ecology of all Australian pythons. No, I would not breed Ball pythons even if I could - nothing against balls but they just don't interest me.
As for the money - ah, I don't want to get infraction ..... you are ....... !!

i want to learn all i can, i want to see these animals in their environment. one day i would love to get a gtp for the look and also the different "challenges" in keeping them. i prefer our aussie natives over any ball python out there (most morphs i find ugly) will i get an albino darwin one day, probably but more for the wife as i am not a fan of yellow, will i get an albino spotted one day, i sure hope so! but for now i want to learn what i can, experience what i can and enjoy my time with my md, because she is a great snake and i think she is gorgeous, even if she doesn't have flashing lights and red speed stripes and pied melanistic whohaa all over!

I still think if you don't like people doing this, then you should also be having a dig at people who are successfully producing albino's and amazingly coloured Jungles, because it's selective breeding, regardless.

I wish you would have read my opening post.
I don't criticize people for "doing this", I was questioning the quest for colorful specimens and the reasoning behind it.
I think the thread is getting tired.

I wish you would have read my opening post.
I don't criticize people for "doing this", I was questioning the quest for colorful specimens and the reasoning behind it.
I think the thread is getting tired.

Wasn't really directed at anyone mate. Sorry you felt that way. Lots of people on this site (one member in particular with a leucistic as his avatar, idk his username) are advocates of killing something just because it's a cross breed. Wasn't trying to have a dig at ya.

Very interesting thread Michael....
Attraction to a snake/lizard would be a personal thing I reckon. It stems to what that individual thinks is the ideal look of a "pretty" reptile. That's what prompts them to look into or buy it. Their main concern at the start would be learning how to properly take care of it (though not always with the amounts of "how do I get my... to what ever" threads). If their really interested they would then learn about the natural history of their captive... That's what would seperate a "herper" from a "pet keeper" IMO.

If their interested in morphs... learn the history of the particular line. How it came about? What where the early challenges.. etc (it's natural history)

Interested in wild types.. learn about their ecology. Go see their natural habitat.. etc.

Last edited:
Agree. I guess from a historical point of view, we started the other way around - you didn't catch it, you didn't have it. You had to know where to go, what and where to look and how to catch it .... and that gave us more inside into the species' natural history. Now it's the opposite way.

Just embrace all keeping, some of you are naturalists, some of you are pet keepers, so what? Humans in any animal trade have bred for desired outcomes, cattle, sheep, dogs, cats. birds whatever. It's an age old debate, just do what you love and embrace the parts of the hobby you want to. I field herp, research natural herps, keep pet reptiles and aim to breed some pretty designer creatures along the way. I enjoy all aspects of the hobby.

Gird

what else but colour is there with most snakes? from my understanding GTP, which wait for it...... are bred for colour. all the posts i have read on handling the on this site is strictly only when necessary

what else but colour is there with most snakes? from my understanding GTP, which wait for it...... are bred for colour. all the posts i have read on handling the on this site is strictly only when necessary

Your understanding is poor. That's all I can say.

so what are gtp bred for then? personality, verve?

oh and money

There are more natural colourful and attractive reptiles on the market than line-bred or morphs species.
Take a look at GTP, Common Tree Snakes and all their phases, the different locality colours of keelbacks, the different colours in monitors (ackies, indicus and Kimberly's). One of Australia's most common elapid has amazing colours and that's the yellow faced whipsnake. Frogs are another example of an animal on an acid trip.

I'd rather something that had natural beauty to it, with interesting behavior and natural history rather than a crappy jag or any morph for that matter.

I like to explain things and help people to understand (if I can) but in your case I won't bother.

Would you mind posting it here, or PM'ing me these reasons? GTP's are amazing, but I thought that people did breed them for colour, and females that have turned hormonal blue after a few clutches fetched more money? I've also read (a lot of older threads) where people don't handle them. Nothing recent has been said about that, though.

he just doenst have the time for a dumb bottom such as myself, even though the above points that kawasakirider raised.
arent red Juvenal more sought after because there red?

I let someone else to explain. This is really exhausting.

wine.jpg

A few people (including myself) have likened cross breeding for colour to selective breeding to pronounce desired traits, I'd like someone with knowledge to tell me how it's different, or acceptable?

Not doubting anyone (I certainly don't have the experience to say otherwise) but I'd also like info on the GTP thing, also. Waterrat, that's a beautiful snake.

Giglamesh, I think in the early days, people wanted red juveniles because they weren't as common as yellow ones, and they believed it would bring out a better shade as an adult, but it turned out that many of the reds were imported, or something like that. Not too sure.

I let someone else to explain. This is really exhausting.

wine.jpg

Not trying to be rude mate, but you started the thread. Would be nice if you participated in the discussion to enlighten others, especially since you're so passionate about it. The truth is, I don't know because I'm a newb, but I'd like the info?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back