Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Giglamesh, I think in the early days, people wanted red juveniles because they weren't as common as yellow ones, and they believed it would bring out a better shade as an adult, but it turned out that many of the reds were imported, or something like that. Not too sure.

Native GTP's only have yellow babies. reds are from PNG etc but they also have yellow babies. So red baby = exotic.. yellow baby = possible native possible exotic..

What do you guys mean by GTPs being bred for colour?

I've read a lot of older threads where people were paying more for GTP's with blue highlights, and if a female has gone blue over time because she's had clutches, I believe the term is "hormonal blue" and if a snake gets to the stage it's constantly blue, people will pay more for it.

I also read old threads where people were willing to pay more for red juvies because they thought they were special, although they just go green anyway, but it turns out reds were imported.

This is just my reading, and I have no idea if it's right or not, that's why I'm genuinely asking.

Native GTP's only have yellow babies. reds are from PNG etc but they also have yellow babies. So red baby = exotic.. yellow baby = possible native possible exotic..

Thanks mate

Reptiles don't have to be bred for a certain anything... some people just like breeding them for the satisfaction of it.

Hormonal blue isn't really breeding for colour then... it's "hormonal" as in not genetic.

Yeah I understand that, I was just using it as an example of colour driving up the price. But I have read that people that have tried to breed to get blue highlights and stuff like that.

I don't know why people would bother trying to selectively breed a gtp for colour, they are stunning as it is. I can understand it with jungles, though. I just don't get why it's different to breed a python for specific traits and cross breeding for specific traits.

I understand purists, but if the snakes aren't polluting pure bred lines is it really a problem? That's all I'm asking.

some people just like breeding them for the satisfaction of it.

yer thats why people ask so much for hatchies. if you breed it because you love doing it you would sell for cost (food electricity) not at the ridiculous cost some snakes are.

Not everyone charges heaps for snakes, but realistically breeding does cost a fair bit, you have to buy a rack system, pay for food + electricity, all that can easily exceed $1000, and that's not including all the hours spent getting them feeding etc

if you do it because you love it time spent should be a null point, what happens after the first seasons hatchies do you then sell them for say 2-300 each because you would have made your money back? from the rack?

if you do it because you love it time spent should be a null point, what happens after the first seasons hatchies do you then sell them for say 2-300 each because you would have made your money back? from the rack?
Why do you have an issue with people making money?

It always come down to money, doesn't it?

" yer thats why people ask so much for hatchies. if you breed it because you love doing it you would sell for cost (food electricity) not at the ridiculous cost some snakes are"

have you ever bred any other than the run of the mill species that entitles you to make such comment?

Hormonal females fetch more money? How many ads have you seen for H/F and that was the price?

I am not an arrogant person but I find it painful to sort through the bullsh..... that some people present here.

What really gets to me is that so many people in this hobby have no interest in getting out and seeing these animals (that they claim to have such an interest in) in their natural environment. They would much prefer to keep them in a melamine box in their house, yet have no idea what their natural environment looks like or how they behave in the wild. They only know what they have seen in a shop or read on an internet forum. I believe if you really have a genuine interest in our native reptiles then the ultimate feeling is to get out and appreciate them for yourself, in the wild. Not herping at a pet shop.

Great comment Matt, I think this is spot on and along the lines of what I was trying to say. I was talking to a friend today who's a guide at a major wildlife attraction and she said many overseas visitors have a better understanding of and fascination with our wildlife as a whole than many visiting Ozzies! She mentioned "ask any local to explain what a Grizzly Bear was and many can not only explain what they look like, but also something of their general biology. Ask the same person what a Whoylie is and their dumbfounded"! Bit of an inditment, I reckon!!

Last edited by a moderator:
i dont have an issue, im asking if you breed because you enjoy it or you breed because you know each of those eggs holds something that could be worth several thousand dollars.

and the original question is yet to be answered, are or are not many GTP bred specifically for colours. not just gtp.

all these threads give me the feeling that the people that keep the high end snakes like GTP are worried that colour morphs/ crossbreeds are going to become the new thing, end product being they lose money... which lets be honest is what everyone is aiming for. rather than people saying "i wish i could get a GTP" could be turned into " i wish i could get (insert snake morph name of your choice)" and there are some stunning morphs available in the states that no doubt will make there way here sooner or later.

who wouldnt want a stunning morph especially when they are potentially a better looking animal. and a quite likely a easy to keep species that "noobs" would have no issue with.

im sure a thread titled: My first snake a green tree python, yer thats going to end well especially considering there one of the harder to keep species.

but then you have the purist that always make the comments on morph threads " not my cup of tea" or something similar.

It always come down to money, doesn't it?

" yer thats why people ask so much for hatchies. if you breed it because you love doing it you would sell for cost (food electricity) not at the ridiculous cost some snakes are"

have you ever bred any other than the run of the mill species that entitles you to make such comment?

Hormonal females fetch more money? How many ads have you seen for H/F and that was the price?

I am not an arrogant person but I find it painful to sort through the bullsh..... that some people present here.

I have never seen an ad for a hormonal female, I have read old threads stating this. You started this thread and I'm asking innocent questions, not disputing what you're saying, I'm merely curious.

You say you're not an arrogant person, but I think you are being exactly that. I'm just asking you a question because I don't know any better, mate. Why even start the thread if you don't want to discuss and explain your reasonings?

Edit

For the record, I don't care about the prices, it has nothing to do with my questions, I just thought people bred GTP's and ones with blue highlights were more desired.

Whats wrong with asking a bit of money? The breeders put all that time and effort taking care of the animals, buying food and having appropriate housing. I think it's their right to ask something back for all their sweat and tears. Pull ya head in.

Yes some breeders breed for traits. GTP's with high yellows, blacks or blues.... answered

I dont think hybrids are better looking, especially not better looking then a GTP. And you can enjoy something AND make money from it, it doesnt have to be one or the other. ( In reply to giglamesh)

Last edited:
GTP's are amazing, but I thought that people did breed them for colour, and females that have turned hormonal blue after a few clutches fetched more money

more like a statement. Can you provide links to the threads you mention you have read?

GTP's are amazing, but I thought that people did breed them for colour, and females that have turned hormonal blue after a few clutches fetched more money

more like a statement. Can you provide links to the threads you mention you have read?

Mate you just want to be argumentative, it would be a statement, except for the keywords "I thought" and the many admissions I have made stating the fact I am a newb and I'm asking your experienced opinion.

No I can't find any links because I can't be bothered searching. There have been a few with the discussion of blue pythons and red ones, that people realised were imported.

I "thought" not I "know".

Whatever mate, start a discussion about your high an mighty opinion, then shut down a newby for trying to get you to explain it so I can understand. I'm not claiming or stating anything, I was just interested in your opinion.

I wonder how many people here aspire to or would like to land a job with reptiles in a Zoo. How many of those who would like that are capable of setting up displays that would emphasize interesting aspects of particular species? How many of them know anything about the animal's natural history? Isn't all that interesting and fascinating? That's what I meant about shallow v in-depth interest in reptile keeping.
Someone asked me would I like to own a Ball python. No, I would much prefer half a dozen Aussie geckos, watch their interactions, go to places where they naturally occur and learn about their habitat. I couldn't do that with a Ball python.

I'm a casual worker/volunteer at a zoo in the reptiles section and so a lot of my time is spent researching the natural history of many reptile species (both exotic and native) and I always find it extremely rewarding and interesting. One of my jobs is to walk around the zoo with a snake or a lizard and let the public get up close and ask questions. It always amazes me the amount of people that say they have a carpet or childrens python at home and yet they can't identify the black-headed python that's draped around my neck. And I love setting up displays :D

As for morphs and hybrids...I personally wouldn't ever own a jag but I would consider some of the patternless and striped morphs (I will always prefer the normal wild types though) and I totally despise hybrids. I just can't see the point.

I am sorry if I offended you - I mean it.
When questions or statements start pouring in like "GTPs are bred for colours", "hormonal females are worth more", "red hatchlings are worth more", "breeding for money", "snakes would be cheaper if people bred them for love" (not that it all came from you, giglamesh had fair input), I shake my head and think where would one start to address this mess? And in the end, why the focus on GTPs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back