Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol, I am a capitalist mate... The only thing I hate about snakes being sold at a high price is that being a young uni student, I couldn't dream of owning one. The money is not a drama.

I haven't been offended, I've just been chasing the answer to two questions for the last few pages, lol.

EDIT

Also, I wasn't just focussing on GTP's, I was asking why it's OK for people to breed purebreds for certain traits, but not cross, as long as the pure lines are kept pure?

I'm not offended mate, but this whole hobby is overwhelming (in a really good way) I am so interested in knowing as much as I can. Much of my days are spent on here reading and due to the differences of opinion and everything, I just feel lost (albeit still interested), lol.

Lol, I am a capitalist mate... The only thing I hate about snakes being sold at a high price is that being a young uni student, I couldn't dream of owning one. The money is not a drama.

I haven't been offended, I've just been chasing the answer to two questions for the last few pages, lol.

Well being a capitalist then the answer is real simple... they are at a high/low price as that's what the breeder wants for them (for what ever reason). Nothing to do then with whether it's a morph or not.....

Also, I wasn't just focussing on GTP's, I was asking why it's OK for people to breed purebreds for certain traits, but not cross, as long as the pure lines are kept pure?

This is something you will have to decide for yourself.
I believe it's wrong and lazy.

Why are you taking a cheap shot at me?
I keep / breed / study GTPs because they have (to me) the most interesting biology and ecology of all Australian pythons. No, I would not breed Ball pythons even if I could - nothing against balls but they just don't interest me.
As for the money - ah, I don't want to get infraction ..... you are ....... !!

can i pass you a tissue? it wasnt a cheap shot at you. i was pointing out that you have your reasons for keeping what you like. no different to others liking what they like, be it a dream or not. we all have differing opinions as to what should be bred with what. but like it or not this hobby is changing and hybrid and exotics will become more popular in this hobby. the next 10 years will turn this hobby on its head. id rather our pure natives anyday but there going to get lost in the changes. but thats another thread for some other time.
sorry if my previous post read as a personal attack on you, it wasnt ment

There is no right and wrong and even if there was, it would be ignored by those who are doing the wrong.
It's a pleasure to meet a fellow capitalist. :D

I am sorry if I offended you - I mean it.
When questions or statements start pouring in like "GTPs are bred for colours", "hormonal females are worth more", "red hatchlings are worth more", "breeding for money", "snakes would be cheaper if people bred them for love" (not that it all came from you, giglamesh had fair input), I shake my head and think where would one start to address this mess? And in the end, why the focus on GTPs?
i can take credit for most of it. please tell me when someone has put a crappy looking gtp (you can be the judge of what is deemed crappy) with one that has what would be called nice markings, colours. you always here about people putting this stunning snake with this stunning snake, but never the other way round.
not everyone breeds just for money but many would.
im sure hormonal females would be worth more is they were to come up for sale.
snakes would be cheaper if people bred them just for the enjoyment rather than both enjoyment and money.

can i pass you a tissue? it wasnt a cheap shot at you. i was pointing out that you have your reasons for keeping what you like. no different to others liking what they like, be it a dream or not. we all have differing opinions as to what should be bred with what. but like it or not this hobby is changing and hybrid and exotics will become more popular in this hobby. the next 10 years will turn this hobby on its head. id rather our pure natives anyday but there going to get lost in the changes. but thats another thread for some other time.
sorry if my previous post read as a personal attack on you, it wasnt ment

I have to agree even though it goes against the grain. One question: do you think there are so many reptile keepers and exotics out there now that the government authorities could not take a sweeping action and wipe out the exotics and prosecute the owners? It's something that has always been at the back of my mind.

Well being a capitalist then the answer is real simple... they are at a high/low price as that's what the breeder wants for them (for what ever reason). Nothing to do then with whether it's a morph or not.....

I'm not even talking about prices man....?

i can take credit for most of it. please tell me when someone has put a crappy looking gtp (you can be the judge of what is deemed crappy) with one that has what would be called nice markings, colours. you always here about people putting this stunning snake with this stunning snake, but never the other way round.
not everyone breeds just for money but many would.
im sure hormonal females would be worth more is they were to come up for sale.
snakes would be cheaper if people bred them just for the enjoyment rather than both enjoyment and money.

Honestly, I don't think there is enough variable stock (GTPs) in Australia to give owners too much choice of what they put together. Why do you think hormonal females will be worth more? I would think the opposite. The blue colour doesn't mean a thing because it's not genetic and the really blue individuals (after several clutches) are getting a bit long in the tooth, so I would think they are worth less than young females. JMO.
If people bred snake ONLY for enjoyment, the hobby would be that much poorer because professionals such as URS, SR, SXR wouldn't exist.
Would you agree?

Interesting thread Michael!

I think us older herpers, many of whom spent alot of their childhoods out in the bush (and travelling across the country visiting different herp hotspots) looking for various species in their natural habitat with a more "hands on" approach to herping perhaps have more appreciation for our local natives than the scenario for many today of seeing a nice hybrid at a local herp show or on the internet and having it arrive the next day (a sort of instant gratification, shopping from home approach). Maybe the interest in the animal and it's relationship with it's environment is not fostered in some as they spend little time in the bush and can purchase everything on line.

Thanks Varanus, for making me feel old haha.

I agree with you Michael. Even pure bred, naturally occurring exotics have a great evolutionary story and are usually beautiful animals. I'm not sure what the fascination with X breeds are - especially that carpet X ball python it doesn't do much for me at all.
What natural history does a jag have? or a carpet x ball python?
Obviously this is a very divided topic though.

Wasn't really directed at anyone mate. Sorry you felt that way. Lots of people on this site (one member in particular with a leucistic as his avatar, idk his username) are advocates of killing something just because it's a cross breed. Wasn't trying to have a dig at ya.
mate you must be talking about me???.....
and im sorry if you took me wrong but i have nothing against bringing out great colours in a animal ive done this my self in the past and im also working on a project as we speak.
the animals i were refering to were jags not cross breeds (cross breeds produce colour, jags produce more then just colours as we all know!!) and due to this threaten all morelia forms if cross bred into them and god help if ever released into the wild?
at least if a boa is released into the wild by its self it would grow old and die but not breed !!!!!

There are 3 threads on ball python x this and that, people wanting exotics, jags, etc, etc..

Is the colour of the snake all that people admire? If it is, that's pretty sad and demonstrates the shallow interest in reptiles. "colourful pets" - is that all?

I apologise for the negativity in this post but it's almost painful to read "I wont one", whenever a photo of some screwed up hybrid appears on here - like kids in a lolly shop.

Why do you only own snakes that are green?

I have to agree even though it goes against the grain. One question: do you think there are so many reptile keepers and exotics out there now that the government authorities could not take a sweeping action and wipe out the exotics and prosecute the owners? It's something that has always been at the back of my mind.

they cant stop illegal imigrants or drugs comming into this country, so how are the going to stop the exotics that are bred here? they could prosecute the owners of them any day of the week if they could be bothered. but to answer your question, i dont believe that they could wipe exotics out in this country

Why are Jag's being brought into a thread about hybrids?

And by "hybrid" i assume it to be defined by a crossing of SPECIES yes?

I am working on a different colour of king quails. There is no real money in it as far as I know. I just want to do something different. Hybrids is a whole different ball game. Yes some are different. Some are very pretty. To me it would depend on the degree of which they were hybridized. An intergrade not so much of a bad thing but when they cross a different species its a little more extreme. (Carpondros/jagpondros) only because there would be so much trial and error in setting them up. Then when they cross the Genus line. (Wall Pythons, Coma's and Carpet Cross Ball python) it is even worse on that respect. Is it entirely wrong? I have no idea shouldn't be asking me why not ask ecologists.I personally don't want any of these I am only really interested in frogs. Now correct me if I am wrong but isn't the last Geochelone abigdoni tortoise being hybridized as an attempt to restore the species? Would you say that counts as reviving a species?

mate you must be talking about me???.....
and im sorry if you took me wrong but i have nothing against bringing out great colours in a animal ive done this my self in the past and im also working on a project as we speak.
the animals i were refering to were jags not cross breeds (cross breeds produce colour, jags produce more then just colours as we all know!!) and due to this threaten all morelia forms if cross bred into them and god help if ever released into the wild?
at least if a boa is released into the wild by its self it would grow old and die but not breed !!!!!

Obviously you have no idea regarding the amount of escaped Corn snakes found in places such as Sydney.

Obviously you have no idea regarding the amount of escaped Corn snakes found in places such as Sydney.

He's saying that a JAG can breed with wildlife, but a boa couldn't breed without another one. The corns obviously have mates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back