Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quantity drive prices down......
Quality commands a high price.....

+1.

there are a number of people on here that breed quality jungles, and none of them complain about prices, though some do have imo well priced (lower end of the scale) jungles. but even at the lower end they sell their animals. i would buy jungles of people like colin, roger, nev, dave evans to name a few- quality feeding animals that come from, clean collections, well proven, high quality yellow or b&w lines. some "quality" b&g" or "b&w" animals i see advertised are a joke.

i know of people that have jungles just for their "defensive" attitude just for something different so their bitey nature i think has nothing to do with their price.

too many people these days pair up anything that will breed just because they have a "pair".

childrens are worth nothing these days, and i consider mine nothing special, yet i have enquiries already to have atleast a clutch sold, at good prices (above what some can't sell jungles for). perhaps those that breed crap and can't get them feeding are a blessing in disguise for those of us who put the effort in.

Last edited:
+2

I spent $1400 on 3 jungles just recently lol, All great animals

Niggs I gotta say, your jungles are ten times more yellow than mine will ever be, and for the same price.
It might sound odd, but I specifically wanted a more "natural" jungle. I wanted to be able to appreciate it for what it is; a lovely and commonly naturally occurring snake, rather than a bunch of pretty colours.

But like Niggs shows, I guess the reason you breed them along with time put into developing the lines alter prices, and without a doubt its the breeders logical right to give their animals a price that reflects their feelings about those aspects. If a customer isn't happy...oh well...find another breeder. So I guess with that said, its a bit more complex than "you get what you pay for", however that is a valid blanket statement.

Theres Jungles,then theres Jungles..ive seen them as low as $100 but the top quality as much higher..Who cares what someone sells there snakes for.I recently paid $350 for a pair however they come from a great line,and the parents are stunners.Same applies with coastals,you can expect to pay $50 for normals these days, but nice striped hypo coastals a higher price.

I've got cowley jungles and Ime yet to hear of anyone owning a placid one they are extremely highly strung in nature Mayb because of their smaller size so I've been told. Their aggressive nature makes them more appealing to me they are strictly display animals only. I wouldn't sell any hatchies for less than 400 if they eventually breed. They are too nice a line to palm off for cheap

For me the jungle attitude is a large part of their charm......without it their just another boring carpet. As for the price issue, as others have already said, too many people breeding ordinary animals. Most jungles i see advertised i wouldnt take for free.

Whilst I love my Jungle Python, I found it quite hard to find a very attractive jungle (I'm picky) that's also reasonably placid.
It seems breeders mostly keep them as holdbacks from what I've seen :(

I could have gone to SXR, but they only sell in pairs and the single yearlings seem to sell so quickly. In addition, they're Athertons.. Whereas I think I'd prefer something a little smaller.

you get what you pay for in most cases. cheap prices normally mean poorer quality animal. but theres allways the exception and someone gets lucky. though most wanting cheap prices are usally tight a.ses and couldnt care about the quality of the animal. they would still complain if it was free

I got one of Niggz's yearling from last year, and she's a terrific snake.

I'd love to get another Jungle (high yellow), but I've found it hard to find Palmerstons that are young (<= 1 year)
and very high yellow (not to mention not being chainsaws).

I don't see any issue with price either way. For me, snakes are a long-term pet. And given
how attached I get to them, I don't see myself selling them. Because they're such a long-term pet, I'm happy to
pay extra to get a nice animal. The same would apply if I were to get a cat or dog.

That so called bitey reputation is simply a handling thing
Once a jungle trusts you they are absolutely beautiful snakes to play with
They were the main attraction at any of my displays
Never ever had a drama with them

is it true they get better trust for you the more you handle(daily or more than once daily) other than ones or twice a week when feeding?
im still trying to convince the wife to let me keep pythons, i can on the other hand get any lizards i want

is it true they get better trust for you the more you handle(daily or more than once daily) other than ones or twice a week when feeding?
im still trying to convince the wife to let me keep pythons, i can on the other hand get any lizards i want

In my own experiencing, handling my jungle nearly every day has helped.
But, from reading on here and elsewhere, some snakes may just remain snappy
no matter how much you handle them..

I think it's wrong to say that because a snake is being sold cheaper than others it must be from a dodgy breeder with a crap collection of dirty cages who has paired a couple of randoms to make a few quick bucks. I specifically bought good quality animals from The Devil that cost me $1600 and I keep a nice small clean collection. No matter what I do or what I breed I would never be able to demand a price anywhere near what those like Roger or Nev can. It takes a long time to build that sort of reputation. Lots of people would rather pay top dollar for animals from these breeders just because of reputation alone, as I did when I bought mine from Nev, and that's their right and good on them. But there are many out there who want a nice Jungle who can't afford that sort of money who might see my snakes as a good affordable option. Mine are from good parents from a nice line of proven animals and I bred some last year that turned out quite nice. If I can offer them a hatchie at a nice price it might allow them to get an animal they otherwise couldn't afford. It's just a pity that many people believe that just because it's a bit cheaper it mustn't be good quality when this is far from the truth.

Do you think the price of jungles would have remained more steady if the aggressiveness of the jungle was not present? I think the prices of most reptiles has gone down over the last few years but thats to be expected.
Does the Jungle attitude put off alot of buyers? yes with some newbies with little or not much handling skills or those people that want them as more of a pet most definitely. But I find that quality jungles sell whether they are reasonably calm or chainsaws to the people that really love jungles

I try and price my jungles with the market in mind but also what I personally feel is a fair price for an individual animal that I would pay for it myself. I price individual jungles in a clutch within a price "range" and grade them according to what I think is the best downwards according to colour, pattern etc. Lets face it all jungles in a clutch dont look equal, and you always usually get a range of best to worst.

I think the best examples according to the breeder should command a higher price than the ones he considers "not quite as good" as the better ones. I wouldnt pay the premium price for the worst one in a clutch myself so why should my buyers? But I would also easily pay the premium price asked for the best ones in a clutch even offering a little bit more to secure an animal if there was a lot of interest with people wanting to buy it.

Coming from a clean collection means everything too.. the few dollars someone may "save" buying a cheaper animal from an unknown source may have the potential to carry disease like OPMV etc and wipe out their entire collection.. to me thats not "thrifty and saving money" its foolish and and avoidable... so coming from a clean collection of a known breeder, or someone I know personally carries a lot of weight.

That said I still feel that the price of premium animals is probably too low (in my opinion) and the price of the average looking jungle is probably around where it should be at this point in time.

pic of one of mine at 3 1/2 to 4 months old

Attachments

• DSC03400 male 15.jpg
    DSC03400 male 15.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back