Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
my hatchy bredli has never bit me ever, tonight i was ready for work and had sprayed deodorant. i decided to feed her seeing im up for a busy week and she went crazy, was snapping at me constantly, gave her a a mouse which she destroyed (she was very hungry having just come out of shed) but when she finished she sat up and was just watching me sitting at my computer and started striking even tho i was 2 metres away.

1. she was just very hungry/ decided she hates me
or
2. she did not like the scent of my deoderant at all.

just had a shower and checked on her and she showed now signs of agression, i was fixing stuff up in her enclousre and she was being her normal self.

IMO i think snakes could dislike certain humans.
i had a cockatiel which was mine but HATED everyone except my sister so he is my sisters bird now. he bites and draws blood on anyone else that gets to close, but is in love with my sister. doubt snakes are much different.

Ash.

my hatchy bredli has never bit me ever, tonight i was ready for work and had sprayed deodorant. i decided to feed her seeing im up for a busy week and she went crazy, was snapping at me constantly, gave her a a mouse which she destroyed (she was very hungry having just come out of shed) but when she finished she sat up and was just watching me sitting at my computer and started striking even tho i was 2 metres away.

1. she was just very hungry/ decided she hates me
or
2. she did not like the scent of my deoderant at all.

just had a shower and checked on her and she showed now signs of agression, i was fixing stuff up in her enclousre and she was being her normal self.

IMO i think snakes could dislike certain humans.
i had a cockatiel which was mine but HATED everyone except my sister so he is my sisters bird now. he bites and draws blood on anyone else that gets to close, but is in love with my sister. doubt snakes are much different.

Ash.

hurcules strikes the moment he smells a mouse. he goes crazy and he does that after a feed.. no matter when i am in my room he'll start striking if i move around. its just the smell with hurc because he's happily chew up another mousey!

I personally think alot of people forget that a snakes sight plays a large part in a snakes reaction, my coastal knows me 100%. i constantly stair at him and he ignores me, i can easily open his cage anytime i want and put my hand in fast as i want and he simply turns and sticks his tongue out at me, i can touch him in his cage anywhere ( i often just pat him on the head). however when my mother looks at him he slowly moves away and is constantly awear she is there, if she tries to touch him he bolts in other direction at top speed. when ever some1 new to the house comes in to look at him hes straight up to the glass stairing at them but if they open his enclosure he bolts straight to his hide. My point is ? snakes have very strong senses (sight heat smell etc) and i know for fact that my coastal knows exactly who is and who isnt a threat to him.

All these posts are just amazing to read. There could be useful data to come out of it lol. This is a subject that I've thought about over the years of keeping and observing pythons, as many of us obviously have.
I once had a Coastal Carpet that was very wary and timid, however, calmed down over time with regular, gentle handling by myself. One afternoon a girlfriend and her sister came round to check her out, and the snake was o.k with me handling, until she realised there were two other people present, simply watching at a distance, and instantly adopted the strike stance. She was then very agitated and nervous and tried to flee. Promptly she was returned to the cage. This was a moment I realised how 'in tune' pythons were with their environment.
Another time a placid Murray Darling of mine, who was used to my constant attention, adopted the strike stance and followed through with a couple of them (hitting the cage glass) one night when I came home drunk and had only walked up to the cage to see her! She knew something was up by my strange movement!
So I believe pythons know the difference between handlers/individuals based on several stimuli (visual, scent, movement). Some of the countries most respected Herpetologists have also made this claim, so were on the right track :D

I had a RBB that hated a mate of mine, it would strike at him everytime he walked into my herproom and then i could freehandle it in the same minute :shock:

He (my mate) wasnt the best with snakes and that RBB just lived up to some of the false sterotypes.
He still tells the story of my physco red belly!!!!;)

donks

hurcules strikes the moment he smells a mouse. he goes crazy and he does that after a feed.. no matter when i am in my room he'll start striking if i move around. its just the smell with hurc because he's happily chew up another mousey!

hmm yea, i give her a box for her to hide in when shes eating, but this time she had no liking for the box and would not stay put so i just fed her in the open and i guess she got protective. ive also held her after a feed and she wasnt aggressive. oh well this is slightly off topic but it helps to know it was just a feeding response.

cheers!

Hmmm interesting thread, I was actually going to post a question about parfumes and body lotions and if there were any do's/dont's in regard to wearing them around reptiles? I have learnt so much since joining the site :) thanx every-one :)

I would much rather be a bit sweaty and a bit stinky rather than get bitten.i never wear perfume or deodorant when handling any of my snakes.i feel in confuses their scenses,what we consider a pretty smell is just a foreign smell to them.i also worry about residue from such products getting on their skins and causing a reaction.when i wash my hair in Pantene my jungle sneezes heaps.

Betcha your son doesn't use aftershave or deodorant :)

Apparently any type of perfume can set of the tigers in the Tiger Temple overseas

i have a two year old jungle, no the best handler but has no problem with me, when my daughter ( shes 9) comes near him he gets all defensive and starts hissing, i also have a four month jungle who is typical jungle temp lol, does bite a little bit, but settles very quickly with me as soon as my daughter comes near him he continually strikes at her over and over, yet she has a stimson that actually seems to like being held by her, never strikes, loves climbing all over her and having naps, i had wondered if they associated her with being food or something cause shes so little lol. But my big fella does not like more than two people looking at him either he gets upset pretty quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back