Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
pmsl, you even remembered to include bad spelling!!! :p

Nothing is sad.

People keep/breed reptiles for colour/money/interest in natural history + 156 other sad/great/perverted reasons.

It is the individuals choice. Just because 1 person thinks something is "sad" does not mean others do, or does it mean it ACTUALLY is sad - you just think it is and that is your choice too. You're human beings!

Why not talk about something interesting like White-lipped pythons. Longqi says they are on Melville Island and the Torres Straight Islands - news to me...

They're not on Melville. But there are lots of taipans on up there!

I have to admit that I love The new colour morphs and base my snake choices largely on appearance...but I do see where people come from about pure genetic lines. I guess the important part is that these morphs dont escape and breed with the wild population.

Aesthetics is the main reason a person will get an animal. the world revolves on aesthetics and its because of this that people will cross breed to make prettier things. stop wingeing and embrace it.

I have to admit that I love The new colour morphs and base my snake choices largely on appearance...but I do see where people come from about pure genetic lines. I guess the important part is that these morphs dont escape and breed with the wild population.

No it's not!

I'm curious as to who the 'naturalists' are compared to the morphs. The feeling i'm getting is that the hot heads are more interested in normals and the python people are into the morphs.

i have issues with the amount of healthy animals that get culled in creating morphs, sure they can look great, but id feel like the worlds biggest hypocrite if i ever bought one.

I let someone else to explain. This is really exhausting.

wine.jpg

I see that wine glass quite often Michael. Somebody likes their red wine ;)

refusing to buy them is my way of protesting,....

i dont see what being vegan has to do with having a problem with animals being deliberately bred then getting culled fro not being pretty enough.

Hormonal blue isn't really breeding for colour then... it's "hormonal" as in not genetic.

I bet you any money people are out there line breeding to produce higher percentage clutches of hormonal blues though. The base for the hormone is most likely after all, dictated by genetics.

I believe it's wrong and lazy.

Can I ask why you think it is lazy Jannico? I understand why you think its wrong from a purist point of view but I don't understand the lazy? You still have to breed two snakes and care for the young. And then line breed for traits just like any other snake. They don't just pop out pretty first clutch :lol:

Last edited:
Wookie, you can't line breed for hormonal blue. Besides, what about all the males in a clutch?

I have to agree even though it goes against the grain. One question: do you think there are so many reptile keepers and exotics out there now that the government authorities could not take a sweeping action and wipe out the exotics and prosecute the owners? It's something that has always been at the back of my mind.

I know there are lotsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss of corns and exotic GTP.

refusing to buy them is my way of protesting,....

i dont see what being vegan has to do with having a problem with animals being deliberately bred then getting culled fro not being pretty enough.

I'm not really having a go, just stirring :)

But my point was I suppose that it's an arbitrary line to draw in the sand between what is acceptable use of an animal, and what's unacceptable, without getting into a long list of examples, rodents bred for snake food come to mind.

But it's up to each of us where we put that line, and how straight it is :)

In relation to the original question…….For me……I find snakes interesting but I have a personal preference for constrictors esp the Morelia’s.

What I personally admire ……..

There is just something about a primitive large predator . I like that they can be so precise in their movements and can move so silently yet can be a fast as lightning and so incredibly strong and yet so patient. I love the way they use camouflage and the way they subdue their prey and eat such huge meals. I find the regulation of body heat through external sources fascinating and also the shed cycle. The way they smell is also facinating (not smell as in when they poop etc smell as in how they smell things...).

I find myself often sitting there observing them and while I am sure they do not like me and long for me to pick them up I am content and happy that they have accepted me (all accept one that definitely does not like me) as something that is not threat or food but just there all the time fussing.

As for colour…..if my snakes only came in brown I would still find them just as interesting in fact the next one I hope to get is a standard olive….. in summing up I like the sleekness combined with great strength……however if someone breeds a tartan coloured morph I would put up my hand for that.

have you ever bred any other than the run of the mill species that entitles you to make such comment?

I don't see carpets as any more run of the mill as GTP to be perfectly honest. Both are beautiful snakes. Just one is worth more than the other.

I keep very standard SWCP, Stimsons and Woma's. I get a lot of satisfaction out of keeping them however the best looking Stim and SWCP I have ever seen are these two.
Nothing I will ever be able to keep will come close to these two snakes.

I bought a "run of the mill" Jungle simply because I liked the snake, and I liked the personality shown in my particular one too, I liked the idea that if I went looking for one in the wild, I'd find one just like him. I find a feeling of strength in that.

That sounds pretty emotional to me lol :lol:

Wookie, you can't line breed for hormonal blue. Besides, what about all the males in a clutch?

Sell as normals. Or cull them :lol:. Joking of course guys. So no genetic basis for the hormonal change Michael? Ie gene coding for change in physiology that causes the change. I'd be curious to know

We all know that. What was the question?

Was my roundabout way of saying yes there are too many to wipe out. Would be very easy if they were on books or displayed in shows, but being illegal and kept quiet makes it much harder to track and destroy all animals. No going back now eh

Last edited:
My thoughts-

Wild type/Locality type - will look like & behave like it's wild cousins.
Selective bred/Morph - will have certain colour traits highlighted & behave like its wild cousins.
Hybrid - man made animal that doesn't occour in nature & has mixed behaviors and adaptations.

My personal opinion is that it seems dissrespectfull to a species, that has evolved and adapted to its enviroment over thousands of years, to destroy all of that by crossing it with something totally different.

But its ok to keep them in a box some ppl on here get me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back