htc wildfire...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ravan

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
thinking of upgrading to the htc wildfire...
does anyone have one?
are they any good? the reviews seem favourable, but wanted to see some opinions from people who have them :)

I've used them. Their operating system isn't user friendly and is very bland. I use an iPhone 4 and I love the operating system on it, plus it's very fast. The htc doesn't seem to "work" with any great amount of functionality, it's hard to navigate through and the design of the OS and the folders look really cheap.

People will say I'm just an apple fanboy, but I decided upon an ASUS rather than a MacBook pro, so I'm just telling it how it is, in my opinion. Apple NAILED it with the iPhone. It's excellent.

ravan I'm sure once more people wake up, log-on and reply you will have page upon page of people recommending the iPhone...

Mac threads have been done to death, the simplest answer I can give you is:

If you are computer/tech literate go for the HTC, kawasaki says they aren't "user friendly" and "very bland", however if you know how to use a HTC or any other android phone (or are willing to learn something new) they are the complete opposite and offer just as much (if not more) than an iPhone.

If on the other hand you are computer/tech illiterate then go for the Apple iPhone as it offers a more simplistic approach to smart phones, computers etc.

Haha KR and Sam you've probably inadvertently just turned this into one of those threads. She didn't ask for opinions on whether iPhone was better she asked who has used a Wildfire.

Tell me what is better about the htc? Starting with navigating. It's not impossible or "hard" but it doesn't flow like the iPhone. That's my argument. It does look bland, the iOS looks fresh, htc looks dated and boring.

Haha KR and Sam you've probably inadvertently just turned this into one of those threads. She didn't ask for opinions on whether iPhone was better she asked who has used a Wildfire.

I gave the op my opinion of the wildfire. Without throwing the iPhone into the mix I personally think it's an ugly phone that isn't as user friendly as it could be, and lacks features.

I don't have the wild fire but I have the desire, I am computer illiterate and I have found this phone extremely easy to use, the screen is much larger then the iphone, and I wouldn't trade it for an iPhone for anything.

I don't have the wild fire but I have the desire, I am computer illiterate and I have found this phone extremely easy to use, the screen is much larger then the iphone, and I wouldn't trade it for an iPhone for anything.

The screen is just over 1cm longer and the colours are over saturated. iPhones display is crisper, also.

I own one

I own one and love it. I bought it as the bottom end of the smartphone market and so yes there are better out there. The two key compromises to meet the price point was the screen and the processor.

Having said that both are adequate. I use it to do VPN back into my office server at home to pick up my email. I use USB or wireless tethering to browse the internet anywhere. I have used it to do geocaching. This apart from sms and phone.

Cheers Paul

I have a HTC Desire HD, I know it's different but I'll say the perks/flaws of it anyway...

The touch screen is sensitive, even though I've seen reviews with people complaining that the touch and grounding sensor is off...it's not true, they both function perfectly.

Even with an SD card in my HTC, and without programs running or without a heap of data on the phone or SD card, it seems to lag sometimes and I'm unsure why.

Android perhaps isn't the nicest looking operating system, but the options for things it allows you to put on your phone is endless (my personal favorite being the super nintendo and game boy emulators I have!)

REALLY keep in mind if you're okay with a touch keypad...this was my first touch phone, and I have to say I'd much prefer a phone with buttons, I have to type so slow on this! (because you cant slide your fingers from key to key like with a normal phone)

The camera is lovely and really a standout feature of the phone to me.

In my opinion, HTC's are very sturdy phones...my friend used to sit around all day dropping his HTC legend screen first onto the table for fun, because they're designed with a curve so the screen doesn't smash! I've accidentally flicked my phone quite far/hard without it breaking (PHEW!)

I really think the touch screen will be the make it or break it for you, because android is just so highly customizable I doubt that'd be an issue.

EDIT: Oh and HTC Sense allowing you to GPS locate your phone, call it on loud even if it was on silent, to completely lock your phone, and to delete all your data from it from your computer should you loose it or it gets stolen is an amazing feature!

I love my Xperia X10 - it runs Android 2.1 OS and learning the ins and outs of it is probably one of the best things you could do. The HTC wildfire was a rushed release, so there are a few bugs in it. IMO, wait for the Optimus 2X. It's a dual core phone with functionality out the ***, and it ****s all over anything an iPhone could do.

CNET is a good place to start when looking for reviews on phones you might be considering. (and they gave the iPhone one of the lowest ratings for a smart phone. Well justified, considering the capabilities compared to some of the other models out there for half the price.)

rock-phone3.jpg

Not much has changed :lol:

Last edited:
He only thing the iPhone doesn't have on that list now is a changeable battery and a removable SD card. Idk why anyone would need an SD card now days no matter what size phone they have.

Just because htc had more features 3 years ago doesn't mean anything now.

Removable SD card: people don't want to carry around both an MP3 player and a phone. If you're like me and have a lengthy commute to and from study/work, then having a phone with expandable memory, or interchangeable SD cards with different content on them is a bonus (I used to spend a little over an hour and a half getting to Uni, and the same length of time back.)

Battery: Do you know how annoying it is to have to wait to get your phone back? I don't. I can go to the shops and find a replacement battery for under $30, and not wait two weeks to get my phone back.

There are far better options out there than an iPhone; three years may have passed, but comparatively the HTC brand is far superior, and LG's new line will surpass even that. I'd rather spend $1k on something that has the same processing power as my old laptop, than on a phone that's already technologically behind on its release date.

Like Saximus said, they're not asking about the perks of an iphone.

and if they're anything like me when I was choosing a new phone, I flat out refused to get an iphone, so your time is probably wasted...and you're kind of hijacking their thread by continuing to talk about the iphone in response to everyone :|

I'm just highlighting some of the things to look for in a phone, that coincidentally, don't come in an iphone :lol:

Of course, all of this is moot when you look at Japan's phones :| They've released 3D already.

Android perhaps isn't the nicest looking operating system, but the options for things it allows you to put on your phone is endless (my personal favorite being the super nintendo and game boy emulators I have!)

Supernintendo emulator :D That's the best thing I've heard today.

I have a htc touch hd, got given to me and i didnt really like it until i erased the chips and loaded a custom cooked rom on it, installed a cracked tom tom gps program and loaded it with a sega and super nintendo emulator now its great lol.

I have the desire which is similar to the wildfire, I nearly got the iPhone but I'm extremely happy I didn't. The desire at least is a brilliant phone and I'd imagine the wildfire would be nearly as good.

Since this is mostly becoming another compare phones thread I might as well add I have a friend who owns/owned an iPhone 3, iPhone 4, htc Desire and Blackberry Torch and has played with Galzxy S and Windows phone (he works at a phone store and he's also one of those jerks that always wins stuff) and of all of those he says blackberry is easily the best for ease of use and functionality. So take from that what you will Ravan...

I have a htc touch hd, got given to me and i didnt really like it until i erased the chips and loaded a custom cooked rom on it, installed a cracked tom tom gps program and loaded it with a sega and super nintendo emulator now its great lol.

I was going to say that you could jailbreak an iPhone to have the capabilities of doing anything you wanted, but thought I'd get slammed with "you don't need to jailbreak the HTC, you shouldn't have to jailbreak the iPhone". Seems to be the biggest argument droid users hold onto.

Go an iPhone 4 atm iPhones are still too far ahead of the rest of the 'smartphone' competition but they are closing the gap. But iPhone just has too many apps and handy tools available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back