Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the things I most like about monitors is that you always know that they are looking right back at you!

I always wonder what they are thinking?
I don't have to wonder with my lace monitors as it's written all over their faces. To be anthropomorphic, this is what I imagine is going through their heads (at rapid-fire speed): "Quick, there's the primate again! Does he have food? Is that food? I saw his hand move, does he have food? What's that thing he's holding? It must be food? Look, I think it's food! Hey, is that food? I'm going to bite it, anyway, because it's been hours since my last meal and I think I'm starving! "

I don't have to wonder with my lace monitors as it's written all over their faces. To be anthropomorphic, this is what I imagine is going through their heads (at rapid-fire speed): "Quick, there's the primate again! Does he have food? Is that food? I saw his hand move, does he have food? What's that thing he's holding? It must be food? Look, I think it's food! Hey, is that food? I'm going to bite it, anyway, because it's been hours since my last meal and I think I'm starving! "
lol that's hilarious. Do they really run at you when you open the enclosure?

Sax, you need to have a look at some of crocdoc's You Tube vids, if you haven't already. My guess is most well care for Lacies would be "wondering" the same things:)!

Yes do check them out sax, they are great. Crocdoc I love your take on monitor psychology. I hope to own some lacies one day (if I ever grow up) and experience that feeding response in person.

Do they really run at you when you open the enclosure?
It depends on where they are and what they're doing when I open the enclosure. If they're resting on the spot from which I let them out of the enclosure, they are quite calm so I can lift them up to be let out. If they're elsewhere in the enclosure I try my best not to trigger a feeding response and normally I am successful, but sometimes they misinterpret things and come flying at me. For example, I used to have an infrared heat gun that was small, dark and oval but had to stop using it because they thought it was some small animal, like a rat.

monitors being calm
feeding response
catching food
feeding response

Watching that video now I realise how slow they were getting up the trees because they'd been worn smooth. They have well barked ironbark and bottlebrush limbs in there now and there's no way I'd be putting a camera in at the same time as food because they race up.

Last edited:
Ha ha Crocdoc that made me lol.... :lol:
Scalymung your monitors look awesome, very tame too. How old are they?

Advanced Non-Venomous Class (class 2 in the old system)

im on my class 1 for 5 years, and i seen ones that expired in two years... my point is that will my class one license take five years instead of 2 yeaRS TO REACH CLASS 2 ??

It doesn't just reach "class 2" on its own after a set amount of time. You have to apply for it once you meet the criteria for it

Latest posts

Back