Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is excellent news......it is so needed now the hobby is growing and will give a real sense of being able to protect the pure bred lines and also formally recognise them..

I don't see how it would work or be policed?

Me either. Thourougbred dogs have traits that need to be met to be certified, I would have thought there would be to much variation in a single species for a standard to be set, plus a lot of captive species could already be considered as muddied up.

I personally don't care for morphs etc but would think this proposed system would be better suited to them.

The whole thoroughbred dog argument is not really a good one as thoroughbred dogs on a whole have more problems than jags. Just a few examples are rollies, are predisposed to cancer and usually die very young, pugs, all sorts of eye and breathing problems, ragdoll cats have all sorts of problems bred into them to make them 'floppy' and the list goes on. What is a good thing for reptiles is the exact opposite in many cases for dogs and cats.

I like colour.

but seriously, If i was to pick out a new python, it would be based on what it looks like without a doubt.

I think for newbies to snakes we would go off colour but mainly handling.
Seasoned snake lovers would branch out into more coloured and less handleable snakes.
THis is how i am

i remember reading a thread a while back, it was about handling snakes before purchasing. one of the posters made it very clear that there was to be no handling for fear of disease transfer if you were looking at buying a snake of theirs. so if you dont get to handle it before buying colour is all you really have to go by in your purchase

i remember reading a thread a while back, it was about handling snakes before purchasing. one of the posters made it very clear that there was to be no handling for fear of disease transfer if you were looking at buying a snake of theirs. so if you dont get to handle it before buying colour is all you really have to go by in your purchase

I think that is a bit extreme but i resepct their choice. A bit of hand sanitizer or rubbing alcohol onto the hands is all it takes to kill the germs. I always use rubbing alcohol and let it dry in before handing any of my reps

Seems like a reasonable enough stipulation.. they ain't cars no need to take them for a test drive. If the person wanted to see how they handle get the breeder to do it.

I think that is a bit extreme but i resepct their choice. A bit of hand sanitizer or rubbing alcohol onto the hands is all it takes to kill the germs. I always use rubbing alcohol and let it dry in before handing any of my reps

But as all mainstream hand sanitizers say on the bottle, "kills 99.9% of all household germs"
Even F10 needs to sit for at least 5mins (even up to 10mins from memory) before washing off to kill all the germs/bacteria/virus' that is says it kills.

I understand where people are coming from to not allow anyone to handle their animals but personally, a spray of F10 and away we go I reckon.

This statement really highlights the opening post of this thread.

Quote Waterat "Is the colour of the snake all that people admire? If it is, that's pretty sad and demonstrates the shallow interest in reptiles. "colourful pets" - is that all?"

To further on my previous post.
There are only 2 or 3 snakes that I own that I regularly get out of their enclosure. They are what I would call a pet.
The others are just display animals.

@steve1
im not the brightest bulb on the tree are you agreeing with my statement?

Assessing the looks, handling, "personality", whatever, ....... that's all good if you're buying a reptile form a local breeder (and he/she lets you to go all over the animal). What should people look for or how should they go about selecting a snake say from Pilbara Pythons or from me?

please elaborate, what else to most keepers or potential keepers matters? not the hardcore keepers.

other than health

please elaborate, what else to most keepers or potential keepers matters? not the hardcore keepers.

other than health

locality, line of descendants, the looks of the parents, genetic vigour, robustness, female's breeding history, clutch size, ration of fertile eggs v slugs, breeder's records and reputation, ......
It sometimes astounds me that people wanting to buy a snake from me don't bother to ask for such basic and important information.
If there was a "RSPCA for snakes" may as well go there and grab looks good.

What should people look for or how should they go about selecting a snake say from Pilbara Pythons or from me?

The only thing I would be interested in seeing if buying from someone I have never delt with before over the internet or by phone is to get feeding shots.
This way it confirms that the animals is feeding.
That said, its still a trust game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back