Microchopping & register

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Waterrat

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
This topic was a bad idea. I should have posted a moron repellant instead (if there was such thing).
My apologies.

Last edited:
What about the microchip that is the size of a grain of rice?

More people will go underground with keeping hearing stories like Jack's!

A the end of the day it will be another cost that is forced onto keepers and to what end?

Breeders register, I'm laughing so hard right now. Doomed for failure from the outset. There is far to much miss- trust, jealousy and ego's to satisfy such a scheme. What makes someone more worthy than for this list than anyone else? Reputations are earned by the way you treat your customers. If you satisfy them they keep coming back. Your name on a list might get you a first timer sale, but if your generally an f-Witt and carry on like a galah in public, the whole group will go down with you. Next we will have amature dopes trying to police the system, by invite only. I'll continue to keep laughing hard while the egos surface. Meanwhile I'll do what I do and keep selling my animals with the extra services I give and rarely even advertise. 90% of my business is repeat customers.

As for microchipping, I agree whole heartedly, it's a butchers practice and would kill every neonate and without it, the whole register is doomed for failure.

Why fix what is not broken? Give people more credit, they are able to weed through the BS in this hobby.

Gird

Breeders register, I'm laughing so hard right now. Doomed for failure from the outset. There is far to much miss- trust, jealousy and ego's to satisfy such a scheme. What makes someone more worthy than for this list than anyone else? Reputations are earned by the way you treat your customers. If you satisfy them they keep coming back. Your name on a list might get you a first timer sale, but if your generally an f-Witt and carry on like a galah in public, the whole group will go down with you. Next we will have amature dopes trying to police the system, by invite only. I'll continue to keep laughing hard while the egos surface. Meanwhile I'll do what I do and keep selling my animals with the extra services I give and rarely even advertise. 90% of my business is repeat customers.

As for microchipping, I agree whole heartedly, it's a butchers practice and would kill every neonate and without it, the whole register is doomed for failure.

Why fix what is not broken? Give people more credit, they are able to weed through the BS in this hobby.

Gird

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

What is the aim of a breeders register?
How does it help reptiles?
I am sure if there was a benefit to reptiles to be had by identifying individual animals it could be done, but to date there seems little benefit to reptiles from microchipping!

We still don't know what the aim/process/mandate of the register is.... for know I think we give the people the benefit of doubt as we are all just speculating on their aims and process. I'm sure we have made enough noise now about accross forums that they know it is being discussed. Hopefully they come on and explain the process and the discussions can have a solid ground to stand on from there.

Last edited:
but to date there seems little benefit to reptiles from microchipping!
Well, there is none.
The suggestion I referred to in the first post was made by people who have no idea (including myself) what this register is suppose to be all about, not by the proponents.

Gee Gird, it's so refreshing to hear your enthusiastic and positive comments. I am laughing too because like the other knockers, you know SFA about it too. But I am glad we agree at least on one thing. Happy Easter. Correction - I agree with you on more than one thing.

Last edited:
I'm guessing "microchopping" wasn't a typo, Waterrat? I was aware that snakes had to be a certain size for it to be feasible, but didn't know anything awful could happen. Can someone please enlighten me on what nasty things can be caused by microchipping?

Suck on lemon jeetma, do you carry cross on your shoulder?

"There is far to much miss- trust, jealousy and ego's to satisfy such a scheme."
said Gird. And I totally agree.

Last edited:
Not agreeing or disagreeing, but I think this started as a certification or "Pedigree" of locale specific and wild colouration bloodlines. I got the idea it would be more of a club like thing open to anyone, not invite only. Learning from dogs and cats, you will never have a perfect system and at some point it would still be based on breeder honesty.

I'm guessing "microchopping" wasn't a typo, Waterrat? I was aware that snakes had to be a certain size for it to be feasible, but didn't know anything awful could happen. Can someone please enlighten me on what nasty things can be caused by microchipping?

LOL Yes, it was a typo.

This is a PIT tag or microchip:
5479.jpg

Imagine that stuck under the skin of a 12 gram juvenile snake of ever worse, a gecko. The insertion itself can be risky, introduction of pathogens, the skin not healing properly and in the few hours after insertion, the glass capsule can travel under the skin (I have seen PIT tagged kangaroo with the pit tag in the corner of his eye). You can do a search here and look up Jack's thread describing the sad story about his Broad-headed snakes. Apart from all that, the PIT tag under the skin is highly visible, rendering the animal less attractive. It looks like a giant skin worm.

From what I have read here and a little commonsense on my part, there does not seem to be any reason to bring this system into play.
Hoppy Easter every-one

no comment

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back