Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hooglabah

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hay all.
Just wondering what the elapid keepers out there would suggest as a good first elapid within this criteria.

1. Preferably not able to kill me.
2. Common
3. Plenty of information on the web.

I'm tossing are the idea of a little whip snake, or a white crowned snake.
Any advice or suggestions would be great.

yer i would also start with a RBB, nice looking snake too:) still wouldn't want to take a bite though...

Rbbs would be my first choice except for the whole being able to kill me part.

Just take precautions. Have a First Aid kit and directions to the nearest hospital.

Death Adders!!!!

These are my first elapids. I got my first in February and now have 6 lol

They are great feeders, easy to maintain, slow moving (they don't thrash around everywhere), although the fastest strikers lol. Just stay out of striking distance and you're fine! They are great to hook, they junst hang there. Makes moving them and cleaning them a breeze!

Jay, what happens when one gets a retained eye scale, or hasn't shed it's tail tip, or needs to be medicated/force fed?

I'm interested to know if people actually handle their elapids like pythons, or if there is a strict discipline to their management.

this is not me it is from another forum
P1070427_resize.jpg

that is a tassie tiger

Last edited:
Is it just me, or does that look like a black Tiger? (going by head shape). Being responsible, I'd say free handling is possible, but not advised for obvious reasons. Jonno has a good take on this.

That's another plus with RBB's, I've found them to be very hardy with few health issues (a big plus IMO).

Last edited by a moderator:
this is in public demo so i dont agree with it, it is a Tasmanian tiger snake

What a dick head, handling it in public let alone like that. He may trust the snake but who would a snake that if a bite to the face or neck have the very potential of killing you

I'm interested to know if people actually handle their elapids like pythons, or if there is a strict discipline to their management.

No, in my case they get handle differently. I tend to support pythons not far from their head. Elapids not so much.

What a dick head, handling it in public let alone like that. He may trust the snake but who would a snake that if a bite to the face or neck have the very potential of killing you

No that's allright just wrap the pressure bandage around his neck when he gets bitten. He doesn't like living anyway. What a ********

Even the elapids which have a lower venom toxicity can still put you in serious trouble. Have a bit of a read up on anaphylaxis... RBB's though are not a bad place to start, as has been said.

I'd suggest getting a brown tree snake first,
then move onto a tigersnake,
Chappell island tigers have the least potent venom in the tiger family but they get pretty big.
they are bomb proof and become very relaxed and easy to work with generally speaking.
After seeing what blacksnake venom can do with its necrosis i don,t think id like to take a wack from one.
I have never been bitten by one but im told its a very painful bite as opppsed to an adder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back