Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All but one of the above pics was from our campsite Dilli Village. The monitors there were very accustomed to human presence, as were dingoes. Fraser was definitely worth the trip.

Although I've never kept gouldii, I've heard from other keepers that a bite from one is less likely than from a lace monitor and also far less effective. Even panoptes, which are known to have a really strong feeding response, apparently don't have nearly as damaging a bite.

Gillsy, I agree 100% that some of the smaller monitors currently on class 2 should be lowered to class 1. Even some of those currently uncommon in the trade aren't necessarily through being tricky captives.

Saximus, although I wasn't aware of the ruling about having to keep a class 1 monitor for a while before getting a class 2, it makes sense, for after a while with a class 1 species a keeper would have a better handle on reading behaviours and coping with the feeding response. Often the only indication I have of my monitors switching over from being 'puppy dog' to 'weapon' is a rapid eye movement or a quick twitch of the head. The longer I keep them, the more careful I have become, too.

Here's a shot I took a couple of years ago when my male lacie, Alex, was gular fluttering while basking. If you look really closely at the gums of his lower jaw, you can vaguely make out the yellowish tips of some of his teeth. I've seen these teeth exposed when he's bitten into something and they're something you'd expect from a shark rather than from a lizard - dagger shaped, razor edged and serrated.

Do any of the smaller monitors have feeding responses similar to Lace monitors? My ackies eat well but even warmed up I can carelessly hand feed them meat and they won't bite fingers, at most they will lick my fingers and then stare at my face. I'm not sure if it's normal for the species, if they have funny personalities or it's because they are still young. One has quite a strong feeding response to bugs if they are moving and will chase them, the other likes to ambush bugs by staying very still until they are close enough to grab.

Do any of the smaller monitors have feeding responses similar to Lace monitors? My ackies eat well but even warmed up I can carelessly hand feed them meat and they won't bite fingers, at most they will lick my fingers and then stare at my face. I'm not sure if it's normal for the species, if they have funny personalities or it's because they are still young. One has quite a strong feeding response to bugs if they are moving and will chase them, the other likes to ambush bugs by staying very still until they are close enough to grab.

Absolutely. It's just more prominent in a larger animal like a Lacey that can throw its weight around.

My rainforest scalaris will charge at the glass everytime someone walks into the room, he is the most food orientated animal i have ever kept and will stop at nothing to try and get to you even if you arent dangling anything for him to eat! he simply opens his mouth and runs at the wall until you open the door which he will then jump out onto you if you dont have something ready in front of the doors!

its always enjoyable to get people to feed him who dont know him and watch him chomp their fingers because they arent quick enough hahaha I like to make gillsy feed this animal alot purely for my entertainment

Haha well I always wanted to get my first bite from a monitor. Just happened to get two in a night!

Killing the roach before hand feeding has made it a lot easier!

Most small adult monitors I've seen are freaking nut cases when it comes to food.
Storr's went crazy.

serpenttongue: No I didn't see any Bells phase, I was only there for 5 days last year through uni so I was restricted for time and location to go looking. During the trip I saw 7-8 individuals, all of which were normal phase. cheers

ha will do i have another 1500 words on my assignment thats due tomorrow night...hmmm will i get any work done once i pick them up... i think not :)

Crocdoc, where did you get that big background for your lacies from?
I've never seen it as a universal rock.

Although I've never kept gouldii, I've heard from other keepers that a bite from one is less likely than from a lace monitor and also far less effective.

Gillsy, I agree 100% that some of the smaller monitors currently on class 2 should be lowered to class 1. Even some of those currently uncommon in the trade aren't necessarily through being tricky captives.
gouldi are very unlikley to bite, even in a feeding response, when they do they are even less likley to hold on, and they don't do much damage at all, i'd rather get bitten by my sandies than my male ackie.....
100% agree that alot of the smaller, more common class 2 monitors shoult be brought down,
but the rare, harder to keep and larger animals need to stay class 2.

saw a mother fork out big $$ for a single brevi at the IHS show, he was only about 12.

gouldi are very unlikley to bite, even in a feeding response, when they do they are even less likley to hold on, and they don't do much damage at all, i'd rather get bitten by my sandies than my male ackie.....
100% agree that alot of the smaller, more common class 2 monitors shoult be brought down,
but the rare, harder to keep and larger animals need to stay class 2.

saw a mother fork out big $$ for a single brevi at the IHS show, he was only about 12.

I'm not sure of the difference between Gouldii Gouldii and Gouldii Flavirufus in regards to their temperement. Though I do know my Flavi has no problem with trying to eat everything, feed time or not....Including tongs and hands!! Things can get pretty wild when there is a rat around, ha.

Is there a link on this thread to you background croc?
my pick up of my ackies is been pushed back sadly...
i have been thinking about backgrounds for them but wondered if they may damage it over time? how has yours held up?

The background can be seen in this video
watch
[video=youtube;IYea2DgmVy4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYea2DgmVy4[/video]

It's held up well considering there are two big lacies running up and down it daily. I do small repairs when needed, usually once every year or two.

Last edited:
i have been thinking about backgrounds for them but wondered if they may damage it over time? how has yours held up?

I have found "Universal Rocks" backdrops to hold up well with Ackies. Although they no longer operate in Oz to my knowledge, Peter Childs from "Reptiles Inc" produces a very similar item of suitable size for smaller monitors.

Latest posts

Back