Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering why people dont suggest the mildly venomous species as first elapids (eg. whipsnakes, curl snakes and marsh snakes). I've heard whipsnakes often have to be force fed but other than that why are the more dangerous snakes better beginners?

Hay all.
Just wondering what the elapid keepers out there would suggest as a good first elapid within this criteria.

1. Preferably not able to kill me.
2. Common
3. Plenty of information on the web.

I'm tossing are the idea of a little whip snake, or a white crowned snake.
Any advice or suggestions would be great.

G'day mate
We are not allowed to keep white crowned snakes on permit in Vic and a little whip snake is not a starter elapid, they are skink feeders therefore must be weaned on to pinkie mice or small fish as it’s illegal to feed skinks out in Victoria. Before you get one you must feel competent that you can handle the animal safely and that you can do any handling needed for husbandry. I would suggest a red belly black, collets snake or even look at getting a colubrid such as a brown tree snake and move to elapids from there.
Regards
Mike

I saw an ad online a while ago of a bloke selling a small RBB and ad said handled daily and very quiet and pics that went with it showed it around his neck and in his hands just like someone would do with a small python lol.
So i guess some people do handle them the same.
Ive also heard that RRB are ment to be one of the tamest elapids to get as they can become python tame in captivity....

I saw an ad online a while ago of a bloke selling a small RBB and ad said handled daily and very quiet and pics that went with it showed it around his neck and in his hands just like someone would do with a small python lol.
So i guess some people do handle them the same.
Ive also heard that RRB are ment to be one of the tamest elapids to get as they can become python tame in captivity....
Pythons still bite, though....

When you say python tame that doesnt really mean anything, not all pythons are tame. If you mean its scrub or jungle python tame then I definitely wouldnt go near it :p

When you say python tame that doesnt really mean anything, not all pythons are tame. If you mean its scrub or jungle python tame then I definitely wouldnt go near it :p

Thats a bad generalisation. Iv been keeping snakes for 8 years and my jungle i got fairly recently is probably the most "tame" snake i have ever kept. I guess some species can be harder to tame then others but i think its wrong of people to think that just because a snake is a jungle or a GTP or a scrubby then it will always be a horrifically evil biting machine lol.

I got a whip for a first elapid. It was alot of hardwork and i really wouldn't reccomend one for a first or any other small elapid for that matter.

So a Rbbs is the general idea cool that makes me really happy to tell you all the truth as they are one of me favorite snakes.

Well days of research here I come :).

If you really want this snake to trust you and become like a pet try to avoid touching its head or neck for the foreseeable future
Every predator on earth grabs snakes by the head/neck and they simply dont like it very much
Thats why they always grab the head on TV shows as it makes the snake twist and turn and look dangerous

My first ven was a little marsh snake and it was just like a childrens python
I personally think they would be the ideal first ven
Brown tree snakes seem to like too much space to move about in so I never kept them

I simply cannot believe that some people think death adders would be the best
They are virtually impossible to hold easily and safely
They can move incredibly fast when they want to
Their bite can definitely send you looking for a body bag

RBBs are a wonderful animal to use in displays
That glossy black shine when you open the bag and they slide out is just awesome
But they can also move very quickly if they want to and their bite can be a bad one even if it usually wont kill you

One thing I recommend with any dangerous ven is to keep a card in your wallet just saying
"I own a XXXXX If you find me looking pretty crook please tell the hospital this"

They do all have their pro's and con's. red bellies make a fairly good first elapid, they generally eat well,and don't have many problems if the husbandry is right. They are however a messy, smelly animal needing pretty constant cleaning. So they get used to the handling fairly quickly in a captive sitch.
They are known for dry biting, but I do know people who have suffered at the hands of a red belly envenomation.
Research them as much as you like, but see if you can get some live handling in on them too with an experienced person.

I'd suggest getting a brown tree snake first,
then move onto a tigersnake,
Chappell island tigers have the least potent venom in the tiger family but they get pretty big.

Yes to laboratory mice they do.......

And they have larger venom yields than the other tiger snakes and probably bigger fangs so even if they had less toxic venom to humans like they do for mice...you would be equally as screwed..

As for me.. I would just say screw it and get a mulga.. I know they are very dangerous...but what an awesome snake!! Favorite aussie snakes along with the tiger snakes..Would love to see them both in the wild..

Last edited:
One thing I recommend with any dangerous ven is to keep a card in your wallet just saying
"I own a XXXXX If you find me looking pretty crook please tell the hospital this"

Bloody good idea there: I wonder if anyone's thought of making up and selling bracelets, like medical alert: just slip it on when you have to remove and clean etc.

What about a Collett's? Do many people have them?

Very similar to RBB's in many respects (and a Cat 1 ven in NSW), however, I've found them to be a more flighty captive, especially when younger and potentially a more dangerous proposition if you are tagged (similar to Mulgas, I believe). Still a nice snake though:)!

Very similar to RBB's in many respects (and a Cat 1 ven in NSW), however, I've found them to be a more flighty captive, especially when younger and potentially a more dangerous proposition if you are tagged (similar to Mulgas, I believe). Still a nice snake though:)!

I just thought about them because I've just done a venomous snakes handling course (thanks Jonno!) and they had a couple of Collett's there. They were the most placid and beautiful snakes :)

yer i would also start with a RBB, nice looking snake too:) still wouldn't want to take a bite though...

Yes exactly, it's an extremely unpleasant experience according to the ones who have been bitten :) I'd probably suggest the red belly also. They still can't be taken lightly though.

I gather the Colletts pump out more venom than the red bellied blacks? Certainly the one I have seems to. I wouldn't want to cop a bite from this species either (actually, no bites from anything is the ideal scenario :D)

Boiling all this info down in to one cup......the general opinion is if you want to keep something ven,a red belly black snake is the best starter snake.They can be handled,from very young would be ideal age?wow,i just don't think dangerous snakes are for me.am curious about having one,but i don't see me in the near future getting one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back